GAS STATIONS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frruss

I have a difficult time in finding the icon to post a message. Things have changed  from 6 years ago on this site.

Recently, we purchased a 1979 Dodge camper van and Alaska is our destination in mid-June 2011 for 2 months. There have been many comments in touring Alaska via Alberta, we live in Saskatchewan. My question and not mentioned by anyone is: What about gas stations, close or far apart? We have been told that one should have several full gas containers on hand. What is the over all situation re-gas stations?

My knowledge isn't up-to-date as we did the Alaska trip in 1986.  We didn't have any problem finding fuel then but we did use a book called "The Milepost".  From other postings on this forum I believe it is still published every year.  You shouldn't leave home without it as it really does describe what  you will see mile by mile.

We did the tour in 2002 and fuel was readily available, with the  longest interval maybe 100 miles.  I wouldn't run my tank much below 1/2, though. Late in the summer season we sometimes found that a station was out of fuel, since some of them close for the winter around 9/1.

Welcome back.  We plan to go to Alaska next year too; about the same time as you.  It's been mentioned before, but you can get the "Milepost" which will list all the fuel, campgrounds and even places you can overnight; everything you need/want to know.  I understand the lastest Milepost (2011) will  not come out until next March or April of 2011  However, you can get the 2010 from Amazon now.  We are in the process of planning our trip and I will be ordering the 2010 just to have the information; then when the 2011 comes out I'll get that one to make sure the info is correct.

Marsha~

Back
Top Bottom