Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RonnyLisa

We need a small generator to simply recharge that battery on our travel trailer when we are out camping in the rough.  We don't want a big one or want to spend a lot of money on one. Looking for advise. Like I said, we only want to plug in the trailer so it will recharge the battery once in a while.  Thanks!

harbor freight has a 800 watt generator on their ad this week for $99.99
it will do the job(charge batteries) but wont be quiet like a honda or yamaha

Be sure and do the math on how many amps (watts) of 110v power your battery charger needs going into it, and how much output it gives (12v amps) going out. Then compare that with how much power you use out of your battery(s) and know going in what is best for your situation.

Here's a hypothetical. You run the microwave, some lights, the tv and vcr/dvd, a little computer, some radio and maybe a fan. Let's say you use 25 amps in a day. You only want to run the getset every other day so let's say you have 100 amphours of battery. Pretty conservative so far. You need to put 50 amps back into your battery every other day. Due to the way batteries accept a charge if you have a 10 amp charger you'll run the generator 7 hours or more every other day.................. Is that what you're expecting?

Ken

Tell us what converter your RV has and if it is a plug in model or hard wired or integrated into the power center.

Progressive Dynamics 9180 with wizard needs a TRUE 1,000 watt, So a Yahama 1200, or Honda 2000 (most Inverter models 2000) or a GENRAC 1000 will do it (Genrac, portables by Briggs & Stratton, the 1000 is fully enclosed, about 400 bucks when I got mine (I would like to get it back, it grew legs and walked off) put out actually a bit more than 1000 watts under tests)

Smaller converters (like a 45 amp) can use smaller generators, Like the 800 watt job above.

I prefer a fully enclosed and if possible inverter due to the noise level ... but those tend to be more expensive.

To use: If you have a plug in converter;... Plug it into the generator

If not: plug entire RV into generator using proper adapter cord, TURN OFF BREAKERS save for the Main and the Converter's.

When we disperse camp we only use lights.  We may start to use the water pump when the wife doesn't want to take a bath in the cold river. We used our 2004 Hi-Low up there for two weeks and still had juice to drop it down without any charging. This is a new 30 ft Walkabout. The battery will drain down in about 10 days just sitting in the driveway without anything on. I'm looking at a 1,000 watt 2 stroke. I'm thinking that I shouldn't have to recharge more than once a week. I'll check my converter tonight.

tracter supply has a nice little champian 1500 watt generator  for 199$  its quiter then the harbor fright and 4 cycle too so no mixing gas

Someone please correct me if I am wrong about this.

We used to have a HiLo trailer that we pulled with out Jeep. When we had the hitch installed we made sure that power from the car went into the plug to power the trailer as needed (that is, I made sure all of the connector connections that transferred power were, in fact, connected). I was told at the time that, if the trailer was connected, running the Jeep engine would supply enough power to charge the batteries in the trailer through the connector, so would that not work to allow you to charge your trailer battery without buying a separate generator?

I can say that the only time we had battery issues with out trailer was when the fuse (in the car) that protected the charging circuit to the trailer battery was blown. Replacing that fixed that issue, at least for us.

One other choice would be to buy a solar panel for the top of your trailer. This would charge the battery during the daylight hours without the need for a generator and I understand they are not that expensive. Amazon offers such kits at below $200 which is much less than many generators.

bucks2 said:
Be sure and do the math on how many amps (watts) of 110v power your battery charger needs going into it, and how much output it gives (12v amps) going out. Then compare that with how much power you use out of your battery(s) and know going in what is best for your situation.

Here's a hypothetical. You run the microwave, some lights, the tv and vcr/dvd, a little computer, some radio and maybe a fan. Let's say you use 25 amps in a day. You only want to run the getset every other day so let's say you have 100 amphours of battery. Pretty conservative so far. You need to put 50 amps back into your battery every other day. Due to the way batteries accept a charge if you have a 10 amp charger you'll run the generator 7 hours or more every other day.................. Is that what you're expecting?

Ken

Champion, Generac, Ryobe, Power House, Lifan, Kkipor, and several others have generators with specs almost identical to those of the Honda. The biggest difference is that they are generally arount half the price.

You get the Champion 2000w inverter generator for $400 refurbished and it's pretty quiet too.

Charging with the 7 pin connector will take a long time due to the distance and size of the charge line. You will be better off turning the truck around and using a heavy set of jumper cables.

We did use a $300 Champion 3500/4000 that has the power to run our AX at altitude for charging one season. Even though we boondock by ourselves, it was annoying to hear it running every day. The next year we set uup a simple portable solar system and haven't run the generator since. You can pick up a 100w portable for around $200 and with sun it would cover a low power user.

I was told at the time that, if the trailer was connected, running the Jeep engine would supply enough power to charge the batteries in the trailer through the connector, so would that not work to allow you to charge your trailer battery without buying a separate generator?

Yes, it charges. The question is how quickly and do you want to run the engine for hours to do so? The Jeep engine is probably quieter than an auxiliary genset, though.

If not: plug entire RV into generator using proper adapter cord, TURN OFF BREAKERS save for the Main and the Converter's.                                                                                What's the reason to turn off the breakers?              

Mike you would still have to run the engine for 7-12 hours. how long does the Jeep owners manual say you should idle your engine? the person that told you that the connection would charge your batteries was correct...just didn't tell you all the facts. that little wire provides a small recharge so that when you travel several hours from one campground to the next your lights and so on will work. not really designed to charge while parked.

Ronnylisa - you will want to turn off "some" of the breakers so that things like a microwave can not run. the little 800 watt generator will not power it and both can become damaged.
- if your using just lights when boondocking then solar maybe the way to go for you. there are plenty of threads on this site that will give you lots of links and info.
Have fun

RonnyLisa said:
If not: plug entire RV into generator using proper adapter cord, TURN OFF BREAKERS save for the Main and the Converter's.                                                                                What's the reason to turn off the breakers?            

To make sure that ONLY the converter is "on-line" take my RV for example.  If the batteries are hungry they can suck so much power from the converter that a Honda EU-1000i will basically say "I QUIT".. a Yahama EF-1200i MIGHT handle it (A Genrac 1000 which is a true 1000 watts, will handle it)..

If you add say.. the Fridge (Another 300 watts and change) a that will push it over, so will .. Most other things when you are that close to the edge..  So turn off all other breakers.

Of course if you have a larger generator (Say a Honda EU-2000i or other 2000 watt inverter unit) then you may be able to leave the other breakers on and simply turn off Big Ticket items (A/C, Microwave, Water heater)

You simply want to make sure a big converter (mine is a Progressive Dynamics 9180 with wizard) is not too big and when you are that close,, Any added load can do it.

Check places like craigslist for a used 1000 or 2000 watt generator.  Carried a 1000 watt Honda for years.  Was probably the best thing I ever bought over the years

The Yamaha EF2000si is still small enough to carry around.  It can also be ran in parallel with another EF2000si.  Weighs in at 44 lbs.  2000 Watts peak and 1600 Watts continuously.  They run about $1200 and comes in blue or camo.

RonnyLisa said:
We need a small generator to simply recharge that battery on our travel trailer when we are out camping in the rough.  We don't want a big one or want to spend a lot of money on one. Looking for advise. Like I said, we only want to plug in the trailer so it will recharge the battery once in a while.  Thanks!

If you simply want to re-charge the batteries, here is an idea that works for me. I purchased a "volt meter" that is inside the coach connected to one of my 12 volt receptacles, that keeps a constant reading of my batteries health. I run my generator 2-4 hours every other day never letting the batteries get lower than 12.3 volts. My generator is portable, has very good reviews, weighing 58# & very dependable. Attached you will find a link. For under $200 you can't go wrong. Another thing you can do, for very little $ is get a few of these handy LED lights and use inside the trailer. I have 4-5 of these, they have a hook for hanging or a magnet to attach on metal surfaces. I use one over the cook top mounted to the hood.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009E26LLC/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1409573556&sr=1&keywords=CHAMPION+GENERATOR
http://www.harborfreight.com/27-led-portable-worklight-flashlight-67227.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom