Good tow vehicle other than pickup truck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Old_Crow said:
I guarantee that the Lincoln Continental that my old man use to use to pull his 18' travel trailer probably weighed 1000lbs more than your shiney new Exploder.

According to an old catalog a 1962 Continental Sedan had a curb weight of 5132, my Explorer, a 2WD Limited with the regular V6 has a curb weight (weighed) of 4680. A Platinum or Sport with the turbo 6 and AWD would weigh pretty close to 5000 pounds, perhaps more.

The Explorer is the lightest vehicle I found that can be towed flat behind a motorhome and has sufficient space to hold our pair of recumbent tadpole trikes; my Tiffin gasser has a 5000 pound limit hitch receiver. I would?ve preferred the Edge ST or the Flex but the trikes wouldn?t fit. The Flex had plenty of raw space but it?s narrower inside though longer. No dice.

Anyway, counting the car, the trikes and all the rigging for towing? base plate, tow bar, supplental brake system, drop receiver adaptor etc. I come out putting 4931 on the receiver. I?ll weigh total 27,500 with a GCWR of 30,000.

I not trying to get into a debate; this is all friendly dialogue as far as I am concerned and for information sharing - I am not in the market for one of these but if I could afford one of those older ones that are available, I would like to have one. Yes, there are older ones out there and some of those look like they might be good deals. If someone was in the market, they might want to get one now. I do not believe you can get a new one very easily. This is similar to what I found when I was trying to help my friend a couple of years ago - from Wikipedia:

2500HD and 3500HD Suburban

A 2500HD Suburban became available in 2015 as a 2016 model. However, this version, identified as a Class 3 vehicle (around 10,000 to 14,000 pound GVWR), is only available for sale to rental companies and commercial fleet entities as a 4WD vehicle and will use the same design as the eleventh generation version, but uses a different engine altogether. The 2500HD Suburban is only offered in LS and LT trims, reserving the LTZ trim for a more luxurious offering (like limousine or taxi-related services). There is no 2WD or upgraded packages. In addition, there are no plans to offer a 3/4-ton GMC Yukon XL as GM is making the design exclusive to Chevrolet for the time being.[123][124]

A one-ton "Suburban 3500HD," which would be a GM-unique SUV, was introduced for the 2016 model year. This is government-exclusive and available in 4WD LS and LT trims only, weighing around 11,000 pound GVWR, 17-inch machined aluminum wheels (8 lug), a high capacity air cleaner, 220 amp alternator, external engine oil cooler and auxiliary transmission cooler. Although the vehicle has a high GVWR, it is configured to provide a minimal towing capacity and is primarily intended for conversion to an armored vehicle. This version does not include HD radio, nor is there a GMC Yukon XL equivalent, making this version exclusive to Chevrolet as well.[125]

I also just did a search in GM inventory - had an online chat on a GM inventory site and received this feedback:
For the 2019 model year, there is not a Suburban 2500 available, but there is a Suburban 3500. This is only available for purchase as a fleet vehicle.

viceprice said:
from Wikipedia:

2500HD and 3500HD Suburban

Yes, I have looked into a 2018 2500 Suburban as well.  I found one at a local Dealer, available.  I saw somewhere they had terrible tow rating (for a 2500).  It is a bummer, I wish GM or Ford would make a decent Xlarge SUV that will pull a 9000# set-up.  I as well have no use for a truck bed, and it is making me rethink about upgrading my trailer size.

Why does anyone need anything new or close to it? Just another way to watch your money disappear in the first few years IMO.

I bought my 1995 Suburban 2500 for less than $5000 cash in 2015, for the primary purpose of towing our 32' trailer. I shopped a LOT and found mine in great shape, and it's done a great job. Gas mileage is horrible (towing or not) but I'm used to that. I've put a couple thousand $ into the vehicle in maintenance but that's to be expected with anything used, and I'm still WAY ahead of the financial curve compared to buying something newer with the same basic stats. When I sell it perhaps in a couple years, I bet I'll get close to what I paid for it.

Then generation I have was made through 1999 with the 7.4L engine and 4:10 gearing option (that's the combo I have) and then from 2001-2006 you could get the newer 8.1L engine option. That took the rated towing capacity from 10k# to 12k#. I'll probably look for a 2005-2006 when I replace this Suburban, if we're still trailer owners. Someday I plan to go back to a motorhome. :)

scottydl said:
Why does anyone need anything new or close to it? Just another way to watch your money disappear in the first few years IMO.

I bought my 1995 Suburban 2500 for less than $5000 cash in 2015, for the primary purpose of towing our 32' trailer. I shopped a LOT and found mine in great shape, and it's done a great job. Gas mileage is horrible (towing or not) but I'm used to that. I've put a couple thousand $ into the vehicle in maintenance but that's to be expected with anything used, and I'm still WAY ahead of the financial curve compared to buying something newer with the same basic stats. When I sell it perhaps in a couple years, I bet I'll get close to what I paid for it.

Then generation I have was made through 1999 with the 7.4L engine and 4:10 gearing option (that's the combo I have) and then from 2001-2006 you could get the newer 8.1L engine option. That took the rated towing capacity from 10k# to 12k#. I'll probably look for a 2005-2006 when I replace this Suburban, if we're still trailer owners. Someday I plan to go back to a motorhome. :)

I agree 1000%.  A Suburban with the 8.1 is what came to my mind right away when I saw this post. 

My current class A motorhome has the 8.1 gas engine and I'm at about 25,000lb total with my toad.

Back
Top Bottom