GPS SUGGESTIONS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes it does say US and Canada maps (as pointed out to me by them) but when I asked them as to why there were no points of interest for Canada on the mapping software on their website I got a response cut and pasted from their website when I asked again to specifically address the Canadian POI's I did not get a response. I will be going with the Garmin as they have excellent customer service and I have been using them for over 15 years.

Not sure, but maybe they could use a Canadian RV'er I to help them get some POI logged and added to their program? It may have been a great way to work with them as a tester and get a deal. Just thinking. GArmin is a great company and I'm sure you will be happy with your choice. Aye. :D

GPS units are notoriously inaccurate. Do not wholly depend on one or you will find yourself on back country roads, or driving for miles out of the way to make a simple U turn. I use a Garmin, but I have a Rand McNally paper atlas as a backup ... and trust it more than any electronics.

Garmin has introduced a RV specific GPS. There is a review of this unit at this site: http://www.rvbusiness.com/2013/06/garmin-unveils-1st-navigation-device-for-rvers/

thomasamski said:
GPS units are notoriously inaccurate. Do not wholly depend on one or you will find yourself on back country roads, or driving for miles out of the way to make a simple U turn. I use a Garmin, but I have a Rand McNally paper atlas as a backup ... and trust it more than any electronics.

Was it not one of the US Presidents, (perhaps Reagan),who said "Trust..... but verify!!!" ?
(However it was NOT in reference to GPS navigation but in reference to international affairs, I believe!)

Great strides have been made in GPS hardware, software and its routing accuracy, especially since President Clinton forced the removal of the intentional errors in the GPS satellite data stream. I would have agreed with your statement 10 years ago but today?.... Perfect?? Nah, but very very good. But you are correct in that the situations you describe can and do happen, albeit much less often than before. Don't ask me how I know thiis!!!

(I too use a newer Garmin and  carry a Rand McNally backup!!)

We use an Iphone with the motion x gps app and an atlas back up.  Have for the last 4 years.  Never an issue as we use the GPS as a tool and guide.  We like to mess with the GPS lady and go off route just to hear her say "recaulculating". ::)

Back
Top Bottom