Have Been Afraid Of This For Years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RVMommaTo6 said:
Wow! What kind of damage did that do?

More to the hawk than my coach.  :eek:
He caught the very top right corner of the front of the coach, there's a nice skid mark up there now that the 409 and cleaner wax treatment wouldn't take out.  Kind of matches the branch skid mark on the opposite side that the PO put on the coach, but it's not as deep. 
I thought for sure from the sound of it that I'd find at least cracked fibreglass when I looked, but no, just the skid mark.

Was out motorcycle riding with a group of friends.  Some good sized bird flew up from the side of the road, right into the windshield of the bike in front of me.  Looked like the darn thing exploded.  Feathers flew everywhere, and the carcass arced over his head to hit the ground just in time for me to run over it.  That was a fun day.

Friends of ours down in FL, she was driving the truck back from shopping hit a hawk.  Stuck right in the grille.  We were sitting around the fire that night and I casually asked her to share a recipe, she said sure, which one.  Grilled hawk...  I crack me up...  Husband almost fell off his chair, she not so much..

A couple of years ago we were near St George, Utah, driving along in the Jeep.  That particular Jeep had one of those light bars across the top of the windshield. 
So we're driving along around 70mph or so and I hit some sort of little song bird.  It hit the windshield and then traveled up to get caught between the windshield and the light bar.  It's body was out of sight, but my wife could see it's little legs twitching for the few minutes it took me to pull over. 
That pretty much ruined that day.

Many years ago I had a 4-door crew cab long-bed Chevy with a full size cab-over camper. We were headed to Disney World and driving across a swampy area. It was in the late 70's so the truck had no A/C (what?!!). All the windows were down and both wind wings turned out grabbing all the air they could. I had 4 sons ranging in ages from about 6 to about 12. Three were in the back seat and one up front with me and Joyce. I was driving along about 50-60 mph when all of a sudden we heard screams and squeals coming from the back seat. A bird (a King Fisher, I think. It was hard to tell in the mess) flew into the back side window and smacked into the doorpost on the other side. Blood, guts and feathers flew everywhere. I pulled over and 2 boys settled down. The one in the center, however, kept squealing. Eventually, he was able to stop and show what he was screaming about. Between his bare legs (wearing shorts) was a large, bloody, mutilated, green-striped frog. Apparently, the bird had gone for take-out and never made it back home.

Bill N said:
I quit reading the link when I came across "According to Wikipedia....."  Surely you are aware that anybody can add anything to Wikipedia without much interference or source checking.  I always thought that if some industry was so great and offered a lot of profit, investors would be flocking to buy in.  But when it is the government doing the flocking I get a bit hinky.

Bill

For some time, it was true that Wiki was not a very reliable source, but they have really cleaned up their act, and things seem to get checked quickly after addition. Apparently to the extent that it is now usable as a reference source for college papers...

signcut said:
For some time, it was true that Wiki was not a very reliable source, but they have really cleaned up their act, and things seem to get checked quickly after addition. Apparently to the extent that it is now usable as a reference source for college papers...

Wiki can be a good place as a First point of reference for information. The bibliography can be very useful.
I spent a bit of time helping grandkids do research for high school and college papers.
They can go to Wiki, look up a subject, collect a list of references from Wiki, and then head to the library with a handy list of expert documents on the subject matter.
I've found Wiki to be far more useful as a research aid than Facebook.  :eek:

LarsMac said:
Wiki can be a good place as a First point of reference for information. The bibliography can be very useful.
I spent a bit of time helping grandkids do research for high school and college papers.
They can go to Wiki, look up a subject, collect a list of references from Wiki, and then head to the library with a handy list of expert documents on the subject matter.
I've found Wiki to be far more useful as a research aid than Facebook.  :eek:

The references are often really good, and one can really fall down the rabbit hole, so to speak, following one cite to another. For speed, that's the single best feature; the writeups themselves are sometimes less than stellar, but the references are usually nails.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom