Heater kicking off after it starts up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donuts

I have a friend who is living part time in his 2018 Forest River trailer while he duck hunts this winter just outside of Chico, Ca.
The trailer had never been used and was bought back when the original owner decided he wanted a 5th wheel instead. The trailer was never used and my buddy got a great deal, but no warranty.
The problem he is having right now is with his heater. It will start up and run for a few minutes and then kick off. He replaced the thermostat and a few other parts, but the same problem.
Now, when he tries to start the heater it will kick the refrigerator off. It even kicked the water pump off.
He no longer tries to start the heater and has contacted a repair shop that's local, but they can't work on it until February.
Any ideas what could be wrong??

Thank you, Stan

My first thoughts would be a low voltage to those items to cause a shutdown.

The heater uses a good bit of power from the battery to run the fan. It could be drawing the voltage down low enough to shutdown the others.

If the heater doesn't keep the fan up to speed it will shut itself down.

Gizmo100 said:
My first thoughts would be a low voltage to those items to cause a shutdown.

Which would make me question the battery.  I'd try it plugged into 120 power and see if it works better.  It could be that the batteries were allowed to drain while the prior owner owned it and they were ruined.

Pull out the battery, charge it then bring it to a auto parts store and have them do a load test. Also make sure the battery cables and posts are clean.

Thanks for the input.
The new (my buddy) owner purchased new Interstate 6 volt batteries from Costco.
He is hooked to 110 power so his batteries should be fully charged. I'll pass this on to him and he can take the batteries in for a test..

Stan

donuts said:
Thanks for the input.
The new (my buddy) owner purchased new Interstate 6 volt batteries from Costco.
He is hooked to 110 power so his batteries should be fully charged. I'll pass this on to him and he can take the batteries in for a test..

Stan

If he already replaced the batteries there would be little need to test them.  It does raise the question though whether he connected them properly in series and instead connected them in parallel as the old presumably 12 volt batteries were connected.

Since he installed those new batteries did anything work the way they should? Are the lights real dim?

Goodspike said:
If he already replaced the batteries there would be little need to test them.  It does raise the question though whether he connected them properly in series and instead connected them in parallel as the old presumably 12 volt batteries were connected.

I'll have him check the battery connection.

Thank you, Stan

I wondering is the the converter is working properly..

I'm thinking that the batteries are connected correctly because the other 12 items come on.....but then shut down once the fan on the heater comes on and runs for a  few minutes.

I'm thinking the voltage is at a level that things may come on but as the voltage drops from added loads things start shutting down to protect themselves.

OK i'm done thinking now....

be sure the gas is all the way on, low gas pressure will do that.
also make sure the sail switch is operating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom