Heating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunflowers

Hi all,

It is pretty likely that most of our trip is going to be accompanied by cold weather, particularly up near Canada. I am thinking about night times now, do we need to pack thermal sleepwear for us all or will the RV have heating facilities whilst hooked up overnight?

Sorry to ask such a basic question but we are renting for the 2nd time (but 1st time cold)!

Many thanks!

I dont know what unit you will have, but most campers have a propane furnace. It will be cold temperatures near freezing at night for at least another month in southern Canada. Not every night, but i have seen snow in mid may. Lots of people buy small 110 volt electric heaters and use them as well if you are in a campground and plugged in. That way you dont use all your own propane, instead you use electricity which is included in your camping fee. You might be more concerned  with freezing the plumbing and causing damage to the rental unit. If you have the water in the unit and it gets well below freezing, you could possibly damage the piping. You dont state what time of year you are coming.

It shouldn't be necessary if the RV has heat, which I cannot imagine it does not.  It's always a good idea to be prepared.
Things break.  Going to be around 7f tonight in my neck of the woods.  I would dress for at least 25-30f overnight lows until late April.

The type of RV and where your trip is going and time of year all affect the answers. I've seen snow in May in New Mexico, in Albuquerque, not just the mountains, though I suspect it won't happen this year. It seems (at least in Colorado) that spring came a month early. The robins and mourning doves were here in mid February, and trees (even lilac bushes) have already budded out, not normal for mid March. But not too far north of here there's been a LOT of winter weather that passed us by here i Colorado.

Thank you for your replies! This is our Itinerary starting on 6th April 2017....

Day 1:        Flying to NYC
Days 1-4:    NYC
Day 4:        Collect RV from El Monte and drive to Washington c.200 miles
Day 5-6:      Washington KOA (Plan to spend a day in Washington, Son was obsessed with the Presidential elections and would love to see the              White House)
Day 6:        Head towards Syracuse with an overnight stop at Williamsport South/Nittany Mnt KOA c.180 miles
Day 8:        Drive to Glenora for a Wedding c.130 miles
Day 8-9:      Two days in Glenora
Day 10:        Drive to Baldwinsville to stay with family for a few days c.80 miles
Day 10-12:  Family time
Day 13:        Drive to Niagara Falls c.170 miles
Day 13-16:  Niagara Falls KOA
Day 16:        Head back to NY with an overnight stay at Honesdale/Poconos KOA c.300 miles
Day 17:        Drive to El Monte to return RV c.160 miles

Doh! Forgot to mention we are driving a rented C25 from El Monte!

Any tips on weather conditions we should avoid would be appreciated!!

Looks like you won't be up north until almost mid April.  For the most part the weather should be OK, with some chilly nights.  With that said it could be 80 degrees or it could be snowing. ;D  Check the weather and plan accordingly.  Williamsport shouldn't be too bad (BTW the town of Williamsport is not a real great town, be aware) .  You will steadily clime in elevation north from Williamsport while in Pennsylvania.  Rain can be snow real quick.  There has been a lot of late lake effect snow showers this year.
April can be a goofy weather month. Snow is unlikely to stick to the roads, but stay aware of the weather if it's cold, especially when you get into New York.

Gods Country said:
Looks like you won't be up north until almost mid April.  For the most part the weather should be OK, with some chilly nights.  With that said it could be 80 degrees or it could be snowing. ;D  Check the weather and plan accordingly.  Williamsport shouldn't be too bad (BTW the town of Williamsport is not a real great town, be aware) .  You will steadily clime in elevation north from Williamsport while in Pennsylvania.  Rain can be snow real quick.  There has been a lot of late lake effect snow showers this year.
April can be a goofy weather month. Snow is unlikely to stick to the roads, but stay aware of the weather if it's cold, especially when you get into New York.

Thank you! Can you clarify on Williamsport please? It isn't too late for me to cancel the booking and find an alternative, that said we will be spending less then a full day on the KOA site before moving on.

Wind speeds - what's the max speed before we should stop until it passes?

The RV will be fully hooked up at night so we should be ok heat wise? I'm trying to restrict as much excess packing as possible!!!

Thanks!

No need to be concerned. That KOA isn't even close to Williamsport.
The city is a dump.  The surrounding area is fine.  I assume you will be heading 15N?  If that is the case take I180
to 15N (just north of Williamsport).  15N through town is a lousy drive.

Winds shouldn't be a problem, but in general you'll know if it's time to pull over or take a different route.

ETA:
Heat with hookups won't be an issue.
Provided your RV is supplied with a battery, you would have heat regardless.

Gods Country said:
The city is a dump.  The surrounding area is fine.  I assume you will be heading 15N?  If that is the case take I180

Winds shouldn't be a problem, but in general you'll know if it's time to pull over or take a different route.

ETA:

Do you mean this Road?

Attachments

• IMG_0718.PNG
    IMG_0718.PNG
    253.1 KB · Views: 14
Yes, I always recommend taking the 180 bypass, as opposed to taking 15 through all the stop and go traffic.
15 north of Williamsport is a nice scenic (uphill) trip, and is essentially interstate 99.

Gods Country said:
Yes, I always recommend taking the 180 bypass, as opposed to taking 15 through all the stop and go traffic.
15 north of Williamsport is a nice scenic (uphill) trip, and is essentially interstate 99.

Do you have any other recommendations for our routes?

Somebody has already said to try and stop at Wellsboro (off the 15 before Corning).

We are looking for somewhere nice to stop for lunch:

between Washington KOA and Williamsport KOA
between Williamsport KOA and Glenora (poss Wellsboro?)
between Baldwinsville and Niagara Falls KOA
between Niagara Falls KOA and Honesdale KOA

I say 'we' but I actually mean 'I' considering my husband has no idea about the trip other than 4 nights in NYC and then the Wedding at Glenora. I've booked everything else as a surprise for his 40th birthday, he thinks we are flying :) So any other tips from a Male perspective would really be appreciated :)

Gods Country said:

ETA:

Hey take it easy on Williamsport...I grew up there. 

It used to be a really nice town years ago but went downhill when Bethlehem Steel closed the wire-rope plant and other companies left. The killer was when they started releasing prisoners from Philadelphia in Williamsport where they started a rehab center.  So it has gone downhill for sure.

I notice your name of God's Country. Are you up in the Pine Creek area?  Spent a lot of time in Waterville.

Arch Hoagland said:
Hey take it easy on Williamsport...I grew up there. 

It used to be a really nice town years ago but went downhill when Bethlehem Steel closed the wire-rope plant and other companies left. The killer was when they started releasing prisoners from Philadelphia in Williamsport where they started a rehab center.  So it has gone downhill for sure.

I notice your name of God's Country. Are you up in the Pine Creek area?  Spent a lot of time in Waterville.

Same story all around PA.  All the old towns are holes full of crime.

I'm a few miles west of the Potter county line.

sunflowers said:
Do you have any other recommendations for our routes?

Somebody has already said to try and stop at Wellsboro (off the 15 before Corning).

We are looking for somewhere nice to stop for lunch:

between Washington KOA and Williamsport KOA
between Williamsport KOA and Glenora (poss Wellsboro?)
between Baldwinsville and Niagara Falls KOA
between Niagara Falls KOA and Honesdale KOA

I say 'we' but I actually mean 'I' considering my husband has no idea about the trip other than 4 nights in NYC and then the Wedding at Glenora. I've booked everything else as a surprise for his 40th birthday, he thinks we are flying :) So any other tips from a Male perspective would really be appreciated :)

I believe I mentioned Wellboro in a different thread. The Pine Creek Gorge is a popular destination.  A bit west of Wellsboro.  Depends how much time you have.
http://visittiogapa.com/canyon.html

If you are looking for a sit down meal the Turkey Ranch is convenient right on route 15.  I've heard mixed reviews, but it's a place to eat.  You won't see much along the highway once leaving Williamsport it very rural.

Mansfield is north of Wellsboro and directly off of 15.  It's a college town, so probably has more to offer in the way of food.

Gods Country said:
I believe I mentioned Wellboro in a different thread. The Pine Creek Gorge is a popular destination.  A bit west of Wellsboro.  Depends how much time you have.
http://visittiogapa.com/canyon.html

If you are looking for a sit down meal the Turkey Ranch is convenient right on route 15.  I've heard mixed reviews, but it's a place to eat.  You won't see much along the highway once leaving Williamsport it very rural.

Mansfield is north of Wellsboro and directly off of 15.  It's a college town, so probably has more to offer in the way of food.

Thank you. Depending on time, we will head to Wellboro and play it as it comes :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom