Hello, I'm a new member from Europe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Tony, yes, we've re-iterated to ourselves not to offer any information if it's not asked for. We've been to the US for 3 weeks at a time on 5 occasions in the last 20 years, so that should help as you say. We have an autistic son at home who's at Uni for the year we are away - that is one family tie that will will definitely mean I'm not in the US to settle.
The application asked for what social sites we are on, I do Facebook so I've just been on and removed myself from all the groups that talk about buying or living in an rv which is such a shame because they were so informative. I've removed any posts I put about buying one.
I try and live my life by the "if it's meant to be" mantra, so I'll try and keep that in mind. I certainly don't have the capacity to worry about it.
I'm grateful that someone flagged this thread up to me.

This news about the visa is very worrying, we have our interview booked for the 24th May. We are planning on buying an RV when we get there, touring the US and Canada for a year and either re-selling the RV or brining it home. I don't think we'll mention that at the interview.

Hello Heather

My best advice in hindsight is much the same as the comments made re our refused visas but with one addition. If possible do not make any fixed arrangements until to you have your visas in your hands. That way the cost to you is 'only' emotional, not financial too.

I thought the border official would appreciate honesty when I mentioned that we understood any imported vehicle has to be exported within 12 months as that was part of the conversation. That you intend to buy and re-sell is a massive advantage, I don't think this official had dealt with any of the 1000's of campers that had already been temporary shipped to the US, he was also puzzled at the cost for shipping.

As said here, don't make up stories, we didn't, and only answer what you are asked, don't add anything at all that isn't directly relevant to the question.

I'm not sure how much time they can give to individual visa applications even though they asked for your social media connections. We belonged to one only forum apart from this one, and that is focused only on riding Amtrak (US) trains.
We had also visited the US around 20-25 times since the mid 1990's, so they had a record on our behaviour from multiple visits. Never overstayed, never left a bill unpaid, never broke the law. Did spend a lot of money visiting though over the years. Sorry, that's me still upset by the whole saga where a government agency is not answerable to legitimate questions.

Good luck with your project, I'm sure armed with information in this thread you will be wiser than we were and start from a better situation buying in the US.

Bon Chance! from sunny Thailand

Back
Top Bottom