Hello new to MH's, Would like help on a Class C purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

k9pal

Hi, We currently have only pulled a trailer and we are thinking about puchasing a CLass C Motorhome. Looking for something of quality as we keep our vehicles a long time. Some one mentioned Laze Daze and Born Free to us. Would like suggestions. I understand Laze Daze does not have a slide option. That is not make or break, but we are worried about maintenece on slides or it getting stuck out some day. Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

Welcome! I'm not familiar in detail with Class C's, but I'm sure someone who is, will be along shortly. Meanwhile, I think both those companies have web sites with details on their models. I believe Lazy Daze sells factory-direct only. Not sure about Born Free. My impression when we looked years ago was that Lazy Daze was the best built C you could buy, and Born Free was excellent but a bit smaller maybe. Take lots of time to explore, and best wishes as you look!

I have a Coach House 272XL.  It's pretty nice compared to others I've owned and looked at.  It's expensive.  A used one will cost more than you might spend on a lot of new ones.  It gets decent mileage: about 8mpg when we use it as an "in and around" vehicle & about 11 mpg on the road.  Short queen bed in the rear slide.  Couch or table in the front slide. 

Downside:  commode sits a little high if you're short; bath room sink is pretty much worthless - OK for washing hands;  occasional chair sits a little high but is OK with a foot stool; limited stoage space - a common problem on class C's (a StowAway hitch carrier solved this problem). 

Upside:  very well insulated; one piece fiberglass shell (fewer seams to leak); a lot prettier than the box sitting on an E450; shower has ample room for me at 6'1" and 235 lbs;  the couch is comfortable and can be adjusted from upright to flat for an extra bed; solid surface counter top; ample interior storage (we don't use all of it); hydraulic jacks & slides.

One word of caution: Whatever you buy, weigh it before you buy it.  Get at least the axle weights, if not each quaudrant.  The weights that will be list on the RV are highly inaccurate.  Most class C's I've looked at have little actual margin for carrying gear, clothes and food.  The Coach House is no different is this regard.  Class C carrying capacity will look great on the paper attached to your closet or medicine cabinet.  Most of it will vanish the instant you get to a weigh station.  You have to load them like an airplane.  Quite a bit of aggravation, but definitely worth it.

You have identified the top two brands in Class C quality.  However, Winnebago/Itasca makes some pretty nice ones too and I would not want you to think they are poor quality just because they are not the very best. Jayco also has a pretty decent rep for their C's.

Are you considering any of the "Super C" models, built on a medium duty diesel truck chassis rather than a light duty van?  Something like the Jayco Seneca or Nexus Ghost?  Those are a major step up in terms of the chassis vs the traditional van-based C.

If you are thinking of purchasing used, be very aware that many with the overhang over the cab have been reported to have water leaks in that area, especially it seems, if there is a window in that part of the cabin. I am sure you will receive many more useful opinions....

Yes, I am llooking at used.

Gary RV, thanks for the info on the Itasca, Seneca or Nexus.

I would like on with the all Fiberglass roof. Don't want to take a chance on leaks. Is there a way to look up the class C with the fiberglass roofs?

what is the life in hours of a Generator that is usually in a class C?

Quality is a good thing and usually pays off in the long run, but a mid range unit can do the job also just depends on how it is cared for. How many will use it, kids, pets and such make a difference. If you are two and really take care of things and not rough with items you could even get by with a new lower quality unit with no more problems than the high end units. Just some thoughts.

Oh and if any unit you choose has an Onan Gen set, they will last a very long time if taken care ofprobablyly the better ones out there.

Any roof can leak. It is usually not the roof material itself that leaks, it is the cutout for the A/C, antenna, vents, etc that do the leaking when the sealant starts to dry up and crack.
The life of any generator is dependent on the service and maintenance it receives. It also depends on where or not it is started and ran at least once a month.

As Seilerbird says, the roof material is not the think that leaks. All the seams and cutouts are caulked, and the caulk has to be inspected at least annually and touched up as needed. You can maybe get by the first few years on a new one, but after that it is a matter of maintenance, not choice of material, that prevents leaks.

That said, fiberglass and TPO are easier to keep clean than EPDM rubber. And more resistant to damage from low-hanging tree limbs too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom