Help finding replacement fuse box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isaac-1 said:
Based on the photo you posted there are a LOT of things in that box other than breakers, including a whole lot of relays, and at least one large circuit board, what it all does I have no clue, but can make a few educated guesses.  I suspect this coach has some sort of remote control interior lighting system that was all operated by relay logic, instead of being computerized with CAN bus serial lines as you would find in newer coaches, this may account for some of what we see here, the same possibly goes for multiple control switches for things like water pumps and water heaters, ... This is just guesswork though based on little information.  The circuit board, could be anything from a battery charging system to air ride leveling, though I suspect it is more power related.

This is what I was suspecting. I'm assuming this piece of equipment is so expensive because it allows control of each circuit from various locations. Such as driver seat, bedroom, or by remote.

If I have to, I will buy the new upgraded box and hire the labor for fixing it. Just trying to explore all my options before jumping into that end of the pool.

Again, thanks everyone for all the input. Definitely been a huge help so far.

Before you spend the big bucks on this, you might try consulting with a Prevost converter to see if they can replicate the function of this box cheaper using modern computerized lighting control systems, etc.  Assuming you can get the schematics that show where all the wires go and what they do.

Something else to consider.  These are Dealer prices.  Maybe you can find some custom shop that has a great electrical mechanic that would do the work at a fraction of the cost, ideally a project on the side.  I certainly would have a remodel plan laid out first, then ask yourself 'how custom' you want it.  My 'high end; comment.  the more fancy remotes, the more it costs.  Lastly, ask yourself why this fire occurred?  Sure would stink to fix everything, just to have it happen again  ;)  Bottom line, if you could get this all put together, for 100k ish in great condition, I don't see how you could go wrong.

have you tried any RV salvage yards?

The Vantares are essentially custom built, so not many of them in salvage yards and those that are may or may not have the part. Besides, you then have to pay the labor to disconnect the salvage one as well as whatever the yard wants for the part(s).  RV salvage parts aren't cheap like auto ones - they are rare parts rather than commodities.
It's worth a few phone calls, but I would be surprised if it turned out fruitful. The big names in RV salvage are Colaw's and Visione.

I think Isaac-1 hit the nail on the head.  That's some sort of multiplex controller for remote switching/dimming and who knows what else high-end function. Maybe a 12v converter and fuses/breakers as part of it as well.  Is 100 hours reasonable?  I'd guess yes, since I figure it would take me multiple 8 huor days just to figure out what everything is and where it goes.  THEN the actual re-wiring work. If the factory pros know the system, they can avoid a lot of that. 100 hours might be cheap vs hiring someone else.  Remember, though, it's 100 hours at their shop labor rate, which is probably $100/hr or more.

There is more than a little risk in hiring an outsider to do the re-work.  Enthusiastic at the start, independents get sick or find another job or simply realize they are in over their heads and walk away.  A pro that has the skills and fortitude to do the job probably isn't a lot cheaper. If any. Unless maybe you find a pro who is willing to do some moonlighting...

I still think for what you have into the coach, and what it would cost to have them do the repairs, it's a no-brainer. They may even fix a few other odds and ends while there.

rednitej, if you can get the wiring diagram for this box and post it we could give a lot better advice.    If it is as I suspect a lighting control system it may be FAR cheaper to bypass all that function and install Bluetooth controlled LED light bulbs, or replace it with a modern RV lighting control unit, Lippert RV makes some incredibly easy to install, plug and play lego block like design lighting controllers now.  Officially they only support RV manufacturer's installs though many are available piecemeal as repair / replacement parts and with their lego plug and play design can be chained together in many interesting and unique ways.    I sat through a 2 day course on Lipppert products a few months ago, and these smart controllers were the topic of one afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom