HELP! Looking for a thread about refrigerator fans???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn

Last week I was reading a lengthy thread about keeping the refrigerator cool.  There were several pictures of computer fans posted.  I've been searching for 30 minutes and can't find it.  I just ordered the little fan from ebay, the one that clips to the fins and I wanted my husband to read the thread.  Anyone have a clue which it might have been, I just can't find it. :(

Thanks a bunch!

JoAnn

Bought one myself and what a great help in keeping the fridge cold.  Had 96* weather the day we left and fridge was a cool 36*.  Can't help on locating the post but thought I would respond.  Easy to hook up, one wire that hooks to light inside fridge and clips to fins on backside. 

Kurt

Great to hear, thanks!  I'm so sick of the refrigerator getting so warm while on the road.  I'm so afraid of spoiled food.

JoAnn

I  have the inside fan in the frig and also put one in the outside compartment blowing up on the coils. I got the fan at Wallyworld fro $4-5.00. I replaced the single plug that the frig plugged into with a double plug.  The outside fan only runs on 120, but when traveling. the breeze serves the same purpose.  Also the frig is a 1985 model.  Eddie Elk.

Thanks to Dar & Jeff, but no neither of these. They are both helpful.  I found both while doing my searches.  I remember it showing a picture of 3 computer fans hooked together.  Beats me where the thread is.  The problem we have is when on the road for hours, the refrigerator temperature goes up to between 55 & 60 during the summer.  The refrigerator works great when parked.  We just always had this problem on the road.  I've even packed blocks of ice in the refrigerator to try to preserve the perishables.  The freezer is always great.  go figure!

We would be interested in putting a small fan in to cool the coils but what do you hook the 12v power to? 

Thanks again,
JoAnn

JoAnn said:
Thanks to Dar & Jeff, but no neither of these. They are both helpful.  I found both while doing my searches.  I remember it showing a picture of 3 computer fans hooked together.  Beats me where the thread is.  The problem we have is when on the road for hours, the refrigerator temperature goes up to between 55 & 60 during the summer.  The refrigerator works great when parked.  We just always had this problem on the road.  I've even packed blocks of ice in the refrigerator to try to preserve the perishables.  The freezer is always great.  go figure!

We would be interested in putting a small fan in to cool the coils but what do you hook the 12v power to? 

Thanks again,
JoAnn

JoAnn, Not knowing what model refrigerator you have makes it hard for me to give you the information needed, but I can show you the fans I installed on the back of my Norcold 1201. They are controled by a thermal fan switch that turns them on at 130 degrees and off at 115 degrees. You could also have them activated by a simple 12 volt toggle switch. These are the fans I used http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=259-1490-ND and here is a video of my installation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgjDl5nwPMo

1Sammiedog

1Sammiedog said:
JoAnn, Not knowing what model refrigerator you have makes it hard for me to give you the information needed, but I can show you the fans I installed on the back of my Norcold 1201. They are controled by a thermal fan switch that turns them on at 130 degrees and off at 115 degrees. You could also have them activated by a simple 12 volt toggle switch. These are the fans I used http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=259-1490-ND and here is a video of my installation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgjDl5nwPMo

1Sammiedog

Wow that's great!  Thank you so much.  I'll show this to my husband.  We also have a Norcold.  I'm not sure which model.  Our motorhome is a 2004.  Thanks again.  I'm sure this will be a huge help.

JoAnn

most RV stores sell the one made for RV's are Thermostat controlled.  I have installed these on about every RV we have owned.  They work.

JoAnn,

If your refer is a Norcold 1200 and also if you are referring to a fan located INSIDE the refer you can attach the positive 12 V wire to one of the the inside dome light connections and the negative to one of the fins themselves.  In this way the fan will turn OFF whenever the refer door is opened and turn ON when it is closed.  I did this is our Norcold 1200 and it worked great.  No thermostat required.

With our new Norcold 1210 I have figured out a way to do the same thing but not with the dome light.  This time I used one of the three push buttons that are depressed whenever the lower left door is closed and it too works great.  Door open the fan stops, door closed the fan runs.

In both cases the fan itself is connected to and grounded by the fins.

JerryF

JerArdra said:
JoAnn,

If your refer is a Norcold 1200 and also if you are referring to a fan located INSIDE the refer you can attach the positive 12 V wire to one of the the inside dome light connections and the negative to one of the fins themselves.  In this way the fan will turn OFF whenever the refer door is opened and turn ON when it is closed.  I did this is our Norcold 1200 and it worked great.  No thermostat required.

With our new Norcold 1210 I have figured out a way to do the same thing but not with the dome light.  This time I used one of the three push buttons that are depressed whenever the lower left door is closed and it too works great.  Door open the fan stops, door closed the fan runs.

In both cases the fan itself is connected to and grounded by the fins.

JerryF

Could you get a few pics of how you did this I've got several old computer fans (12V) I could use for this but I need to know how you hook it up...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom