HOV lanes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know about the East Coast, but here (WA state on Interstate Highways) there are signs posted that prohibit vehicles 10,000 lbs and over, or any vehicle towing a trailer, from using the HOV, HOT, and Express Toll lanes.

The regulations appear to vary from state to state, so I'd recommend looking up the rules on the state DOT websites where you intend to travel.

ALL large vehicles should ONLY use the right lane. I see too many trucks, motor homes andmother large vehicles hogging the middle lane forcing other drivers to the inside lane just to get around them.

ALL large vehicles should ONLY use the right lane. I see too many trucks, motor homes andmother large vehicles hogging the middle lane forcing other drivers to the inside lane just to get around them.
I agree when there’s only two lanes or in rural areas. But when there’s three or more lanes and in an urban area with lots of exits and on ramps in close proximity, I always take the lane that’s second left from the rightmost. With lots of traffic entering and exiting, I’m more a hazard to those trying to exit or merge on around my big pokey rig if I’m in the far right lane.

Driving on the 495 around DC today and a huge dump truck in the left Lane driving under the speed limit.

Back to the original question about HOV lanes. Different states and local jurisdictions have different restrictions for HOV lanes. Normally there are signs stating the allowed, or dis-allowed, vehicles.
It has nothing to do with normal interstate rules. Technically, you are not allowed to travel in the left lane of any interstate unless to pass or are approaching a left exit, and you still have to obey speed limits. The only exception here in PA is if you are coming up to an emergency vehicle or stopped vehicle on the right berm. Actually here you must yield to the vehicle or reduce speed.

Driving on the 495 around DC today and a huge dump truck in the left Lane driving under the speed limit.
Anyone ever hear the law “Keep right except to pass”. The left lane is the passing lane and the other lanes are the driving lanes. That’s the law in all states as far as I know.

You cannot make a blanket statement like that! If I’m driving in traffic on a multi-lane, limited access highway, I am not going to be in the right lane! If I’m over there, I have to deal with all the entering and exiting traffic and the nuts who dive for their exit lane at the last minute because they too busy texting to pay attention to their driving.

I will be in whatever lane looks best, and I’ll be moving at the same speed as the other traffic…even if that’s 70+ mph. Some of the biggest problems on the road today are people driving their RV’s at 50 mph in the right lane when everyone else is running at 65.

Are Class A’s allowed in HOV lanes in any states along the East coast?
I did a lot of internet searching trying to find some source that would list HOV lane rules by state but only leaned that not all states set the standard and in some areas the rule is set by a local agency and it may vary from city to city in some states. Many states do have internet pages about them but I was not able to find any attempt to list the rules for all areas in one location. You probably need to check each state, at least.

I have seen Greyhound buses in HOV lanes and they weren't going slow...trust me!

Buses are typically specifically allowed in HOV lanes while heavy trucks are typically prohibited. Rv’s fall somewhere in the middle but are usually excluded by weight or towing. Maybe this is one of the upsides of owning a Prevost ;) (I don't own one, but I'm guessing it sure is nice!)

Last edited:
The 495 around DC has an HOV that is an HOV only during morning rush hour. Highway 50 towards Annapolis has a 24 hour HOV, no big trucks but motorcycles are okay. It seems every HOV is different.

The answer is that each HOV lane is potentially different, so check road signs or have the co-pilot look up local rules while you drive. Since HOV is mostly oriented toward commuter traffic, it's probably best to assume a motorhome would NOT be welcome unless you have official evidence otherwise.

Note that most HOV lanes are designated for only certain hours. Outside of that time, they are like any other lane on that highway.

which states have a keep right except to pass laws
In many states it only applies under certain conditions, such as when there is a sign. With the sign, I don't think there are any exceptions. BTW, only black on white or white on black signs are law. A yellow sign is a suggestion. However, all states, AFAIK, have the "Basic Speed Law" which can mean a yellow speed limit sign COULD apply when going faster, when considered unsafe. Could be different for a motorcycle than a truck, etc. with the same yellow sign.

In CA and NV you may stay in the left lane all day long passing nobody as long as you're going the speed limit and no other conditions apply.

See here. It explains the exact law for every state.

-Don- Reno, NV

The answer is that each HOV lane is potentially different,
Yep. A big fat Class A or Class C RV is allowed in any HOV lane in CA, during the HOV times, but there is a big exception. If you're towing, then no can do. Besides, CA has a 55 MPH towing speed limit EVERYHERE in the state, even if the speed limit is otherwise 70 MPH. HOV lanes generally move faster. But I have also seen them too at a dead stop.

See here.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom