How difficult is a WDH to install and set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcb

The dealer is quoting me a price of $750 for the purchase and installation of a Equalizer 600/6000Lb WDH.

I can buy the Equalizer hitch and a 2-5/16 ball on line for $466, so he is charging what appears to be a high installation cost ($284)?

I can buy an E2 Round Bar hitch and ball on line for $287, and an E2 Trunion for $348

Tow vehicle is a Nissan Pathfinder W/6000 tow capacity, and TT will be either an R Pod, or a Heartland MPG; each has a GVWR of 3800Lbs.

So:

1. How difficult is a WDH to install and set up?

2. What's the difference between the E2 Round Bar and the E2 Trunion type hitches?

3. Does the additional cost of the Equalizer justify buying it over the E2?

Thank you

Hello:
I have had the Equl-i-zer 90-00-600 for a few years and two trailers now...... I bought on line (not the site I have listed below) and I was able to ALMOST put together myself.
It came in the mail with a part missing and I went to local EQUL*I*ZER Dealer (40 miles) to purchase the part and had them assemble it to my trailer for around $100.......
I believe you will have to buy the "Ball assembly" separately...... have a professional shop assemble this part providing the proper TORQUE!
Dealer: High price and some dealers have wrong people assembling unit...... But, you will have unit faster.
Do it yourself: Cheaper and Eqal*i*zer's instructions will provide the info to assemble unit. 1 week to get unit... two days to take "Ball assembly" and have torqued, then put all together on your "RIG". 
Very happy with my choice.
Good luck!

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/e2-weight-distribution-with-2-point-sway-control-trunnion-600-6-000-lb-trunnion-14-5610.html

You better just learn to do it yourself.  If you are going to be RV'ing, there are a lot things your gonna need to know to do yourself.  I'm sure you must know someone that pulls a trailer that can help you.  It's not difficult at all.  Just get you a set of some large wrenchs so you can torque down on everything.

I bought my Equalizer online and set it up myself - it's not rocket science - just follow the directions and it's easy. You might have to tear it down & reassemble once or twice to get it just right. I ran into the same problem with the installation of the ball, however. The directions call for a "thin wall socket". My local tire shop had the right size but it was not "thin wall' and would not fit in the cavity. Being a small town operation, he handed me the socket, a pair of safety glasses and pointed to a bench grinder. "Keep grinding til it fits" were his directions. Gotta love country living!

I have the traditional Equalizer set up - I've never looked at the differences between the other models so I can't help you there.

On a side note, this is my 2nd Equalizer. Sold the 1st one with my prior TT (needed higher weight). 1st one was set up by the dealer...they never tightened the ball! Didn't find that out until after a month or so - YIKES! So, dealer installation does not guarantee any type of accuracy or quality!

I highly suggest you do it yourself, the instructions are very detailed, it's time consuming but not hard. Our dealer set ours up and we ended up having to redo it anyway because they blew it. With that in mind, if you are local to Ohio I sell it to ya cheap if you pick it up, it's the 600/6000# you seam to be in the market for  ;).

Do it yourself - the knowledge gained will be a asset and you save money too.

But the hitch is not the only part - you need the ball mount too (preferably an adjustable one). The dealer probably has that in his $750 package. Might even have a anti-sway device included.

Buy an Equalizer or Reese Dual cam WD hitch. Both have the anti-sway function built in and they are both far superior to an add-on, friction type sway control on a standard WD hitch.

Back
Top Bottom