How do you get those black streaks off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found a cheap and very easy way to get rid of the black streaks - My MH was in outdoor storage under traps in need of a new roof and we had lots of black down all over the place. My dealer suggested different sprays and lots of rubbing. I was able to remove all the streaks in 20 minutes and at a cost of $27.00. The magic is called Blue Beacon Truck Wash, drive in, they use a special chemical and in 20 minutes you drive out. I called a few truck wash companies and Blue Beacon said they could do it without any problem. They did.

Go to Dollar General and get some Mean Green Cleaner. I friend of mine put me on to it and now, I use it and it really makes it supper easy to remove black streaks and even bugs. Cost about two dollars.

We just bought a used 27 ft travel trailer and the panel where all the stripes are was stained terribly with black streaks that seemed to be imbedded into the paint.  We tried everything, or at least so I thought, and the marks did not budge.  We could get all other black streaks off, but not these.  They made the camper look very old.  I read that Magic Eraser works so I tried it and it did!  The downside?  A very large area to cover and those erasers don't last very long.  We then tried polishing compound and it worked wonders with a bit of elbow grease!  Our camper now looks almost like new!  I'm so excited!  Can't wait to show it off!  8)

Thanks for the tip. There are many different chemicals that cause the staining of the "black streak", so the same technique does not work for all. You just have to experiment to find the solvent that works for the ones you have. And it nearly always takes lots of "elbow grease" as well.

My son in law has a plane. One day we were over there house and he was washing it. The product that he uses is Extreme Simple Green Aircraft and Precision cleaner. I thought I would try it on our 5Th wheel. Wow, it took off Black streaks like mad with out any scrubbing. It is Noncorrosive, low-foaming Rinses Residue-free, will not Oxidize the finish and will not degrade any rubber or Vinyl decals (they make the stuff for Boeing Aircraft co.) We get it from W.W.grainger, but any air craft supply should have it. :)

The Extreme Simple Green is a good product. The aircraft version is non-corrosive to aluminum, but there are similar formulations of Extreme Simple Green available at home stores as well.

Simple Green can be used as is or diluted, depending on the needs of the job. I usually use it about 50/50 for really heavy duty cleaning and anywhere from 10/90 to 25/75  for routine cleaning chores.

Update on the Biokleen. It's really amazing. No elbow greese needed. Spray it on and the black streaks wipe off (without taking my paint)! It;s a liitle pricey @$20 a bottle but it goes a long way and is sooooo worth it!

I used the new Bartenders Friend. I did the front with it and it came up like new. I did the streakes and gone. I did the windows and they look like new. Then I waxed the trailer!!! I can not put my hands up  to wash my hair in the shower today due to cramps from waxing. The trailer looks like new.

Everyone seems to have the same problem with black streaks. Why don't the manufacturers just develop a paint scheme that includes black streaks down the sides of the RV. Would save everyone a lot of headache. ;D ;D

:)  Hello everyone ,  I just found out that " AWESOME "  works great !!!!!!!!!  I tried many things ,but none worked very good !!  But just Awesome worked GREAT for me ! Got all the black streaks off very nicely !! Good Luck and have fun !! : )

I use a simple cleaner wax.  Zymol, smells great, removes the stains and leaves a shine.  I just did the same treatment on our plane this morning then waxed with Collinite #845, awesome product!

Attachments

• Zymol cleaner wax.jpg
    Zymol cleaner wax.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 14
  • stained lower cowl side.jpg
    stained lower cowl side.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 25
  • stained lower cowl.jpg
    stained lower cowl.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 22
  • side cowl clean 1.jpg
    side cowl clean 1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 27
  • lower cowl clean.jpg
    lower cowl clean.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 23
  • collinite-845.jpg
    collinite-845.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 19
My default thing to try is Denatured Alcohol.  That has a million uses, though you may have to rewax the area.  Then it's Simple Green. 

A neighbor gave me a tip for very tough stains.  Use Comet, mix with water until you form a paste.  Then apply the paste to the area affected, let it dry, then wipe off with a damp towel.  I'd do this as a last resort though. 

Also, whatever you do, don't use Acetone.  Some folks believe acetone can be substituted for denatured alcohol, or mineral spirits.  Don't use it. 

Those of you have tried all the ideas and didn't have any luck with those stubborn black streaks--look no further.  Nothing has worked completely for us until today.  On a whim, I grabbed my husband's Fast Orange hand cleaner (from Auto Zone) 2 for $5 -28 oz. container, and rubbed a little on with my fingers and the baked on black streaks are GONE!!!!!!!!!!  This is a huge breakthrough.  No more spraying, scrubbing, rinsing, arguing, battling....  It is a waterless hand cleaner so after you spray off what dirt you can, let it dry and go to town with a cloth or your fingers.  Work in a small area at a time.  Work it in effortlessly and you can see the marks disappear.  Good luck!!

I use Gel Gloss in the spray can and it works great. Spray it on the fiberglass and use a terry towel (I use a white one) to wipe it off. It contains some waxes so you not only remove the black streaks you put a coat of wax on also. I buy mine at Home Depot and one can goes a long ways.

Back
Top Bottom