how hard it is to back in covered park 12 feet wide when the RV is 8 feet wide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pawntan

how hard it is to back in to covered garage with 12 feet wide ? My RV is apex 287BHS , 8 feet wide ?
I know I can't get my RV tail straight when backing in . I am concerned with hitting the garage wall.

Well, to start with, you need a spotter to keep an eye on the back end and guide you. You need a spotter that you can trust.
After a few times, you start to get the hang of it, but you should always have a spotter.
A good back-up camera helps, too, but you still should have a spotter.

Did I mention that you should have a Spotter?

I would certainly use a spotter in that case, I keep my motorhome in a storage shed with a 12 ft wide roll up door, and park it nose in. Still I try to always use a spotter just to be safe when pulling in or out, of course in my case I have less than 11 inches on each side from the edge of the mirrors to the steel roll up door frame. I have yet to take off a mirror when I skip using a spotter, but I have came way closer than I would like (way under 1 inch clearance from clipping them)

I think you should make sure you have a spotter.

I would think a couple of feet on each side is manageable. You did say you can't get the tail straight which could give you issues depending on how much it opens up after you get through the door.

Years ago when I needed to pull a trailer for the first time I went to my workplace on a saturday when no one was there and practiced backing it into various loading docks, around dumpsters and some pallets I placed as obstacles. Practice makes for greater skills and confidence.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Years ago when I needed to pull a trailer for the first time I went to my workplace on a saturday when no one was there and practiced backing it into various loading docks, around dumpsters and some pallets I placed as obstacles. Practice makes for greater skills and confidence.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
We went to an empty school parking lot and set up the leveling blocks to simulate backing into camp sites. I also worked on backing it straight back as well.

But even backing up in the campground we have to go back and forth few times.
While there is good advice here, nothing that we do can change your backing skill level. It sounds like you need to find an empty parking lot and practice. That same thing may be true for your spotter as there are skills for directing as well. Things like never using right or left but always driver's side and passenger side. Both the spotter and the driver need to learn how far in advance to adjust the direction of the tow vehicle to have the trailer go in the proper direction.

Years ago I worked across the street from a company that got semi truck freight. Could see their lot from where we had our engineering meetings. Since watching the trucks was usually more interesting than our meetings it was always illustrative of the skills of most truck drivers. They could back their 53' trailers into a slot maybe a couple feet wider than the trailer, from a 90 degree start on a busy street. If they can do it, so can you. I was never really awesome at backing my trailer into the garage but both the trailer and my garage survived. That's why I like a class A, it's like backing a big pickup truck.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

She a little tight, but it fits. RVport legs are 13' tall and the port itself is 13' wide. Trailer is 101" wide. The height of the trailer 13' 5" at the three AC units in the middle of the trailer...but the roof slopes up and away from them. There would zero issues if it weren't for the upper angled corner bracing that goes from the legs at the top, to the trusses. The RED painted line on the concrete is my reference point and if the edge of the tires on that side of the trailer are right at the RED line, it's all good. I do have my wife spot me though, just to keep me honest.....and to see when to stop when I get it in as far as it needs to be.

Attachments

• P1000287.JPG
    P1000287.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 11
Lot's of good advice here. You want to improve your backing skills until you are completely confident that the back of your vehicle is going exactly where you intended, every time. And that when pulling forward, the same is still true. I watched a guy pull into a garage area perfectly. But, when he pulled out, he didn't pay attention to the overhang on the back, and he shredded the garage door track on his way out.

The spotter is still a good idea. A lot of variables come into play.
And the unanswered question, here, is are you backing a single vehicle, or a Trailer into that garage. A trailer adds a whole level of complexity to the task.

That two foot clearance on each side that you have, can disappear very quickly.

I agree, you will want a spotter. You will want them on your cell phone. Line up straight, even then, slight turn of the wheel as a ripple effect. Maybe get some cones, place dowel rods in them, place the 12' apart, head to a parking lot for practice.

Backing into a fully enclosed shed or garage is a lot different than backing up to a loading dock, the issue is you are often dealing with a drastic difference if lighting levels, meaning you are either backing into a black cave, or a lighted one surrounded by darkness, both of which add unique challenges to telling how things are aligned as well as judging spacing in mirrors. This is why I feel a spotter is so important.

Once you get it in and it is in the way you want it to be, nail a 2" thick board or something you can bump into, directly into the concrete floor. I might also paint some stripes on the floor just outside your tires. This will help you use your mirrors to guide you as you back in.

And I think you need at least TWO spotters--one on each side, especially at first.

Now, if you have a garage like my son's where you have to also do a 90 degree turn while you back up--good luck! If I borrow one of their cars, I refuse to even drive it in frontwards and just park it in their driveway when I am done with it.

My trailer is 8 ft wide +, I'll admit I am no good at backing. However, I can get it where I want it, without dinging anything. The other day on the trip to Lake Charles, I took the trailer to the dump station and brought it back to the site. I had left the chocks in place and I managed to get it back in the chocks on the second try.

I store mine in my shop, and back it thru a 12w x 14h door, it usually takes a few tries to get it where I want it, which is over to one side somewhat.

The side door is 10w x10h and I back the truck thru it with the mirrors flipped out, leaving me only 2 to 3 inches on each side. Its easier to do when it is dark and the lights are on inside. I also had to make sure It fit between the lift posts when I backed in.

When I was reworking the roof on the Thor trailer I had a buyer coming for the Motorhome. As rain was projected, I needed the motorhome inside for the buyer to look it over. The day before I took the Thor with the unfinished roof (thus no A/C) and backed it thru the side door and into the lift.

At work, I went most of my 30+ years avoiding driving the tug moving airplanes. Toward the end I was forced to do it a couple of times, which I did without any real issues.

The shorter a trailer is, the harder it is to back. My 5x10 utility trailer is extremely difficult to back, made harder due to the manual steering on my Ford Ranger.

Charles

Attachments

• Stuffing Thor in side door.jpg
    Stuffing Thor in side door.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Stuffing Thor thru lift.jpg
    Stuffing Thor thru lift.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 8
Motor home or trailer makes a difference (MH is easier)

Some of the places I've put assorted trailers (not all RV) you do not want to even think about.
But then ... Farm boy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom