how hard it is to back in covered park 12 feet wide when the RV is 8 feet wide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It just takes a little practice. Use your mirrors and remember you have 2 feet of space on both sides.
Go slow, keep checking your mirrors constantly. If in doubt put truck in park and go have a look for yourself to make sure all is good.

Most trailers have a long overhang behind the rear axle, which causes the rear end to swing wide during a forward turn (tail swing) and will drive you crazy if you try to back up while watching the trailer's rear end.

The trailer's path while backing is determined by the position of the wheels, not the rear of the trailer. You have to drive the WHEELS to where you want them to end up. Pay enough attention to the back of the trailer so you don't hit anything (or have a spotter do it) and concentrate on putting the trailer's wheels where you want them to end up.

I had a friend who was an experienced semi truck driver and she had no trouble backing a 40 ft. semi trailer into a loading dock slot. But backing a 29 ft. 5th wheel RV trailer into a campsite gave her fits. The difference was each trailer's wheel placement. The semi trailer's wheels were close to the back of the trailer so there was minimal tail swing while the RV's wheels were further forward. Having her follow the wheels on her RV solved the problem.

If you are more concerned about hitting the back end, a board secured to the floor works very well. I put one in our garage for my wife's SUV. She couldn't judge the front end since it's so high in the front.

You don't need a spotter. Just back up real slow and learn to trust your mirrors.
AMEN!

I’ve driven our diesel pusher well over 100,000 miles. In all that time, the ONLY time I ever hit anything while backing up was the ONE TIME I used a spotter. I was watching him instead of watching my mirrors and backup camera. I ended up taking the electric meter off the side of a building.

I NEVER use a spotter…I use my mirrors, camera, and follow the G.O.A.L. method. Get Out And Look.

Last edited:
AMEN!

I’ve driven our diesel pusher well over 100,000 miles. In all that time, the ONLY time I ever hit anything while backing up was the ONE TIME I used a spotter. I was watching him instead of watching my mirrors and backup camera. I ended up taking the electric meter off the side of a building.

I NEVER use a spotter…I use my mirrors, camera, and follow the G.O.A.L. method. Get Out And Look.
Spotters are for woosies. :devilish:

LOL- I don't care what it is, practice in a big parking lot with cones. Well versed drivers can pocket a 40' trailer 8' wide into at 10' spot pretty easily. The only reason they need to extra foot on each side is for the mirrors (if that).e

Practice with your rig.

A good rule of thumb for a beginner is grip the wheel at either 6 or 12 o’clock. If at 6 move your hand in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go. If at 12 move the hand opposite the direction you want the rear end of the trailer to go. Be patient and don’t hesitate to get out and look if you aren’t sure. You can buy a sack full of those orange cones for kids soccer most anywhere for cheap. Get yourself 20 or so and sit them out on a parking lot for practice. I use them to lay out my track into campsites.

I have never backed into an enclosed space but a friend of mine backs his 5th wheel into his barn every fall - 12'x12' door. I've watched him backup in campgrounds - he's not that good, LOL. But slow and steady is what he preaches to park in the barn and so far he has not hit anything. He's put in a gravel drive (outlined) since this Google satellite photo.
1711501742479.png

Mine is travel trailer . And yes it will go to a garage without light in it. I will try to back in real slow, inch by inch if necessary

Mine is travel trailer . And yes it will go to a garage without light in it. I will try to back in real slow, inch by inch if necessary
Take your time. practice in an open area a few times, get the feel for how it looks and moves.
All those people here, bragging about how they can do easy-peasy, they were once beginners, too.
I was one, once, too.
And every type of towed vehicle is different. You'll get the hang of it before too long.
You can get an inexpensive set of walkie-talkies so you can communicate while practicing.

My first time, I was in Scouts, and I ended up dumping the troop supply trailer in the River, along with the Scoutmaster's Jeep. I never did live that one down.

Yes, It's Easy, once you get the hang of it.

Yes mine is travel trailer 28-29 feet. According to the owner of the garage, the garage does not have light, and fully enclosed.

Motor home or trailer makes a difference (MH is easier)

Some of the places I've put assorted trailers (not all RV) you do not want to even think about.
But then ... Farm boy.
I never did master backing a 4-wheeled wagon I always had to unhook, turn the tractor around and hook the trailer to the front bumper and push the wagon into a barn,corn crib, etc.
Backing a MH, 5er, or TT isn't an problem, If equipped with good mirrors. The back wall of my MH garage has white reflectors to guide me the correct distance from the side-wall. My BU camera shows me when to stop.

I never did master backing a 4-wheeled wagon I always had to unhook, turn the tractor around and hook the trailer to the front bumper and push the wagon into a barn,corn crib, etc.
Backing a MH, 5er, or TT isn't an problem, If equipped with good mirrors. The back wall of my MH garage has white reflectors to guide me the correct distance from the side-wall. My BU camera shows me when to stop.
Yup I can sometimes back a 4 wheel straight but I'd not wish to back around a corner.

Two wheel trailers I've done S curves no problem with less clearance than the OP has. Several times a day.

Thankfully the 4 wheel wagons normally it was "Pull up" that is forward only driving.

Normally during bailing season (Hay and Corn were hauled in 4-wheel wagons) I got the other end of the elevator (The loft where it gets downright hot and humid as you toss those bales around)

Set a bucket trap to catch mice in that garage. Here is a video of who NOT to let you help back up

When I need to park our RV in our driveway, backing up to the front of our garage, I set a couple of plastic trash cans near the point where I want the back of the RV to end up. They are easier to see on the backup camera than the roof line and garage door that I want to get close to but not hit and I can hear it if I back too far and hit one of them. And if I am going to hit something, hitting something that doesn't leave a mark is best.

Usually I am backing out of a sunny area into shade and, as someone already mentioned, that makes it even more difficult using a backup camera. The trash cans help with that. Traffic cones would be more portable and would also work.

I'm sure you've already checked this, but just in case - you also have enough height?

We looked at a few storage spots and only just had space heightwise which makes it trickier to get into an already tight spot.

Slow and easy. Backing too fast and turning the wheel too fast will always get you in trouble. It takes a few seconds for the trailer to respond.
I have a 10 foot wide driveway with the house on one side and fence on the other. First few time backing in straight took a half hour.

Discussions like this highlight why I firmly believe there should be a separate driver’s exam and license for trailer towing and driving large vehicles like motor homes. If there was such an exam, there would also be some training involved in order to pass the test. That would improve the competence and confidence levels among this group of drivers.

According to the owner of the garage, the garage does not have light, and fully enclosed.
Having been where you are now, I strongly suggest that you find a way to light the space that you will back into. Being able to see helps a great deal to avoid any accidents. You could possibly practice some by using the lines in a parking lot and a spotter to see how the tail swing goes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom