How much can you really secure your RV? What items should you invest in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Carl!

As green as I am to all this, you will get more dumb questions from me as time goes on.  Have never been camping (city slcker), hubby did when he was younger but that was many years ago and times change.

It is common sense in all things about safety but knowing the environment helps and this is going to be our maiden voyage.  This forum makes it so much easier to get ready.

I just can't believe what a nice bunch of people  you all are.  I have only found another forum like this but it has nothing to do with Rving.

PEACE

Here is an idea someone gave us a while back on this forum put your keys on the night stand and if you feel threatend hit the panic button if you have one . Not only are you going to scare away the would be burglar but you will wake the neighbors and the old saying is there is safety in numbers. We lock our doors but other than that nothing else.

S J Strait said:
Here is an idea someone gave us a while back on this forum put your keys on the night stand and if you feel threatend hit the panic button if you have one . Not only are you going to scare away the would be burglar but you will wake the neighbors and the old saying is there is safety in numbers. We lock our doors but other than that nothing else.

One can use this tip whether in a stick house or the RV.  Setting the panic alarm off is going to discourage some bad guy from doing bad things.

Someone gave the same idea re: a disabled spouse in case the fell down, they could set the car alarm off and the wife/husband would hear it if they were out in the yard or next door.

PEACE

I find that campers, by-in-large, are honest, salt of the earth type people.  That being said, there are jack-holes everywhere.  You can only do so much to prevent them from doing what they are going to do anyway.

I have an X-Chock between my tandems, but I don't lock it.  If someone comes up with a ratchet to take it, they probably have some small bolt cutters, too.  I have a Reece Coupler lock from Home Depot (the yellow kind that goes up inside of the coupler).  I figure that I'd rather protect the thing that would really hurt if stolen: my trailer.

Everything else, you just have to use common sense.  I'll leave out odds and ends, but never anything like an axe, knife, flashlight, etc.  Those all get locked up in the camper.

I used to use coupler locks and such.  I no longer bother.   Any simple minded thief who would steal a TT is going to have to provide himself with a truck and a proper ball mount and receiver.  Then he would  have to roll into an occupied trailer park, back up up to my trailer with no little fanfare, hitch it up, haul it away in broad daylight and trundle it down the highway bigger than brass.  Then the idiot would have to dispose of the trailer - are there house trailer chop-shops or fences?  Is there a market for stolen TTs south of the border?

Ain't gonna happen.   Coupler locks make sense with boat trailers -- there are chop-shops for boats and a market for stolen ones.   Likewise, I store the trailer at a locked and secured commercial yard. 

If you have a reliable source of power to the unit you could put in a wireless, Cellular, alarm system

This system could 1: Detect intrusion, using either standard door/window sensors or using motion sensors or other sensors or a combination of them

2: Read assorted sensors within the unit on demand (Temp, voltage, and the like)

3: Report the rig's current location, lattitude, Longitude, and Altitude, to within just a few feet

In short...... Where to find it when it gets swiped

The alarm system can either call a monitoring station, call you or.. both

Or you could just put a sticker on the door

:FORGET THE DOG
BEWARE SMITH & WESSON

John In Detroit said:
Or you could just put a sticker on the door

:FORGET THE DOG
BEWARE SMITH & WESSON

Don't really need the sign Rv s already have that reputation everyone has an uncle who took one "Up north " deer hunting

I have left my trailer in RV parks a hundred times and left for the day site seeing.  Never gave a second thought to Security.  I lock the doors and the coupler and go enjoy myself.  Never have lost anything.

On a side note I don't stay at RV parks I where I am not comfortable.  Coast to coast there have only been a few of them.

What can I add to this post?..? Lot?s has been said, all meaningful, and important.
And why do I feel I have to summarize this discussion? Probably because I?m an old man, still full of HIMSELF.
To RV HOKIE:
The FORUM members should have (by now) given you some sense of ?crime occurrences? during RVing, as well as our approaches to securing peace of mind. Further, this post has helped us all review our ?sense of comfort? while RVing.

We all have gone thru this process (seeking a comfort level) and then ?moved on down the road?. Good luck to you and yours?..
See ya on down the road?..

P.S.
For me?, I?m scared when I?m out there in my ?rig? alone. No matter where I?m at for the night, only once or twice (out of  200) did I not lock my doors, use common sense not to leave STUFF around, and, I carry a rifle with (can take into Canada with proper papers filled out at border) while RVing..

I always lock my doors at night while I am sleeping in an RV park.  The few times it did not get locked was do to the declining memory of a old man.

The best way to secure your Rv is to sell it and go buy a Armour Car. That is petty safe, less chance of drive by's shooting that way, and the locks or almost pick proof and drill proof.  LOL

Myself  I just lock the doors and compartment that is it. :D

The lock is made only to keep a honest person honest. If a thief wants it will be gone. :'(

Pat

Like Pat says. our compartments are always locked, so we just lock the doors and go to bed.
Now if someone wants to play with our fur baby they're welcome.  ;D

Cheers
Willis

Attachments

• Gabby-1.JPG
    Gabby-1.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom