I had posted about the 1970s winnebago that has sat for maybe 15 years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
brianradomski said:
Not  exactly  a  Winnebago  at  all  it  but  it  is  a  custom  made  to  order  vehicle  in  1925..  my  Mother's  couisn  one  Holman  Harry  Linn  (born Flannery  as  my  mother)  1877  1937  openned  his  tractor  factory  in  Morris  NY  about  1918.  He  was  diabetic  though  by  the  1920s  the  stress  of  running  a  factory  caused  him  to  take  a  bit  of  a  buisness  leave.  It  is  written  that  he  liked  the  special  railroad  cars  that  business  men  travelled  in  so  he  had  this  car  made  to  order  for  I  think  it  cost  30,000  in  1925.  the  Pullman  train  car  corp  was  contracted  to  construct  the  entire  inside,  safe  way  chassis  built  everything  else.  This  has  the  548  cubic  inch  engine  and  supposedly  screw  drive  differential  LAUGHING  thats  all  I'll  say  at  this  point  any  more:  effiencies  gas  mileage  I'll  leave  it  alone!  The  is  the  older  version  of  the  car.  When  1st  built  it  had  none  of  the  additions  on  the  roof.  AT  first    it  was  just  a  flat roof  like  a  buss.  It  is  supposedly  in  texas  now  a  relative  of  george  Bush  owns  it.  they  are  oil people  I  guess  they  can afford  to  run  it!  hope  y'all  enjoy! and  by  god  I  hope  i loaded it  correctly!
UGH  a  p.s.  is  that  have  a  few  extra  photos  will  have  to  scan  into  my  computor  to  share  and  I  have  no  scanner!

Cousin  liked  the  traincars  used  by  business  men  so  he  had  this  land  vehicle  made  to  order!  Its  sleepable,  with  a  chauffer  and  servants  quarter,  kitchnette,  lavatory, geregator  with  a  theater, boooooooooooooze  was  believed  in  on  mother's  family  so  I  think  it  had  a  bar! 

Your term, I was playing with you, and would assume it was a pretty good typo of generator. 

PancakeBill said:
Cousin  liked  the  traincars  used  by  business  men  so  he  had  this  land  vehicle  made  to  order!  Its  sleepable,  with  a  chauffer  and  servants  quarter,  kitchnette,  lavatory, geregator  with  a  theater, boooooooooooooze  was  believed  in  on  mother's  family  so  I  think  it  had  a  bar! 

Your term, I was playing with you, and would assume it was a pretty good typo of generator.
ooooooooooooooooooops  typo  time  i', embarased!!  I  get  typing  too  fast  Generator!!!

Well  since  I  have  photos  of  the  Linn  motorhome    when  1st  couisn  Holman  actually  used  it  I  have  to  say  I  think    its  a  quite  a handsome  vehicle.  Sad  it  cant  be  in  the  family  anymore.

I have a 1995 winnebago that I've have for over a year. Put over 10000 miles on it since I got it. It is a fantastic motorhome. No major problems at all-just some minor things I had it in the shop for after i first bought it used. I'd recommend Winnebago. Good RV.

thedoc said:
I have a 1995 winnebago that I've have for over a year. Put over 10000 miles on it since I got it. It is a fantastic motorhome. No major problems at all-just some minor things I had it in the shop for after i first bought it used. I'd recommend Winnebago. Good RV.
hello  to  "thedoc"  if  I  may  inquire  your  opinion  about  that  Linn  motorhome???

Well I'm not really an expert on that model.  One advantage of an earlier model is that the engine is probably alot less complex to work on with little to no pollution controls. I recently saw a Winnebago motor home at a campground from about 1972. I talked to the owner about it. It was on a dodge chassis also. He repainted the whole thing himself (I think with  a brush but it still looked quite good)  He had it for many years and actually lived in it in the seventies for awhile-even in the winter. He was not the original owner but it looked in very good shape. Anyway, mine is a Minnie 300 with 460 engine on a Ford E-350 chassis. I get about 10 miles to the gallon (7 miles to the gallons if towing my car). Hope that helps.

thedoc said:
Well I'm not really an expert on that model.  One advantage of an earlier model is that the engine is probably alot less complex to work on with little to no pollution controls. I recently saw a Winnebago motor home at a campground from about 1972. I talked to the owner about it. It was on a dodge chassis also. He repainted the whole thing himself (I think with  a brush but it still looked quite good)  He had it for many years and actually lived in it in the seventies for awhile-even in the winter. He was not the original owner but it looked in very good shape. Anyway, mine is a Minnie 300 with 460 engine on a Ford E-350 chassis. I get about 10 miles to the gallon (7 miles to the gallons if towing my car). Hope that helps.
Hey  hello  sir  and  your  words  help tremendously!  I  am  painfully  worried  bout  the  gas  mileage. I  have  been  told  "its  sad  my  income  is  meager  I  have  fine  tastes  I  just  cant  afford  them  like  a  motorhome"  SO  IF  this  Winnebago  did  come  through  I  cant  help  but  to  think:  "gee  I better  give  up  on  it  I cant  afford  the  gas".  Ohh  yours  is  on  a  Ford  chassis???  I  would  presume  the  engine  is  ford  also  then.  My  present  camper  is  built  on  a  ford  chassis  engine  and  tranny.  I  runs  so  dramatically  reliably  that  I  just  keep getting  sold  on  American made  vehicles!  Oh  always  though  it  a  bit  "not  right"  to  pass  up  our  own  vehicles  made  right  here  in  the  U.S.!  When  ever  honey  and  I  go  for  a  trip  we  always  marvel  at  this  present  camper:  "if  ever  there  was  a  vehicle  that  earned  its  keep  its  this  camper.  If  the  Winnebago  does  come  through  i'll  actually  give  up  cars  and  drive  the  small  camper  as  my  everyday  driver!  YES  I  agree  about  a  simpler  engine:  my  camper  is  a  1969  ford  and  that  engine  is  just  wonderfully    easy  to work  on!

I  know  this  topic  is  way  old  but  I  got  to  cleaning  out  the  computor  and  found  this  and  rememberd  it  SO  as  a  courtesy  to  all  those  involved  and  who  recall  this  the  old  Winnebago  never  ever  materialised  I  sent  a  christmas  card  with  a  note  it  got  ignored  NOTHING  ever  happened  I  even  rethink  the  people  who own  it...thats  all  folks!  grateful for  your supoort!

Back in the very old days before helical gears there were several designs including worm gears, straight cut gears (quite noisey). I bought an old 1929 Studebaker and welded up the straight cut gears in it. Paid $10 for the car which was a lot of money7 in 1955.

reply  to  gwcowgill  I  really  am  grateful  to  you  for  your  reply  was  I  born  in  ther  wrong  era???  I  have  to look  into  the  internet  to  see  a  1929  Studebaker, just  that  year  sounds  delicious!  I r eally  do  like  the  looks  of  cars  from  the  1920s:  they  are  boxy  and  the  wood  spoke  wheels  quite  enhances  them  too!  I  am  trying  to  figure  out:  "you  welded  the  gear"???  might  you  elaborate  on  that???

I bought the car because the gears were bad. Didn't have a lot of money then and was in high school taking Auto Mechanics so it was a good project. Drove the car for several months and then sold it and bought a 1940 Chevrolet which I drove for 2 years and it turned into a 1950 Chevy that was sold when I went in the USAF. I love old cars too, but you cannot beat the reliability of the newer cars. I have a 1967 Camaro which is in the later stages of restoration.

I had a forward from a friend, one couple a ton of restored cars, these are mostly the 50's, but if you would like to see it, PM me your email.  Hard to believe one couple had te time and money to do this.
http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Amazing-Canadian-Car-Collection.html

Found a link.

to  I  guess  pancake  Bill:  uhm  a  bit  embarased  I  am  grateful  for  your  sharing  AND  your  offer  to  PM  photos  to  me  B U T  I  am  embarased  to  say  that  I  dont  know  of  any  vehicle  from  the  1950s  I  ever  liked  NO  I  take  that  back:  I  got  to  know  and  like  the  1954  55  56  chevy  trucks.  My  mother  had  5  brothers  they  were  all  dairy  farmers  on  farms owned  by  someone  else.  TWO  brothers  though  did  own  and  farmed  their  OWN  farm.  They  bought  the  farm  originating  in  1827  in  1945    it  was  thriving  till  1970    the  point  is  in  the  1960s  they  had  2  particular  trucks  so  I  loved  the  trucks:  both  were  chevys  one  a  bigger  flat  bed  with  "fencing"  around  the  bed,  the  other  was  their  pick  up  truck  BOTH  from  the  mid  50s.  I  might  like  something  from  1956  the  year  i w as  born  other  than  that  I  apologise  but  I  just  never  cared  for  vehicles  from  the  1950s...I APOLOGISE, I  mean  no offense.

The 50's was an interesting time as horsepower was starting to increase as well as cubic inches, The engine power output increase went through the 60's until about 1968-69 when emissions and insurance companies began demanding less power. All cars manufactured before 1986 tended to have rust problems. The older the auto, the more of a rust problem they had. Today engine life is roughly 10 times longer than a 1950 car because of tighter manufacturing tolerances, better metals and better cooling and other systems that contribute to the life of an engine. I love the old cars because the designs were a signature of the manufacturer. Today the desiggn is a wind tunnel dictated fuel economy design. No Beauty!......

VERY  fantastic  lesson  on  automanufacturing  hisstory  and  why  I  LOVE  history  as  I  do.  "oh  what  U  learn  when  you  study  history!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom