install 3000 watt inverter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Icedad1

I want to install a 3000 watt shrine inverter to my 4 ,6 cycle golf cart batters. I want to either run the inverter directly to fuse box. Or run lines and outlets  one by front TV  2 to the front island in the garage for small fudge.!!
What size wire,?  Later i want to add solar panels Thank you for any ideals you may have.

Sounds like a very good plan. Are you using a generator? Do you have street power available? Do you have any inverter power now?

Inverters are great but need to be installed in a way that is understood by the user.

You can install an inverter and wire dedicated outlets that will only work with the inverter. You can also install the inverter to power outlets only when there is no power from the generator or the street. This is done with a transfer switch. Some transfer switches are built into the inverter. Others (less expensive) do not have a transfer switch and will need a separate transfer switch installed.

The prefered method is to use a transfer switch. This is because it offers no thinking management of power options and in most cases will provide the best option for power usage.

You can wire an inverter without a transfer switch and be fine too. Picking the outlets or appliances for inverter usage becomes the user's decision.

Large amounts of inverter power is not a good idea to be full time on the inverter. Large amounts of power should be either on a transfer switch or not included in the inverter power wiring.

My suggestion is to use 5 amps as a circuit limit for full time inverter usage. Any more than 5 amps you should consider the use of a transfer switch. The 5 amp guide I use is not written in stone and the user must judge for his own intended purposes and may very well be fine with higher amounts.

Adding solar is something that can be done at any point with most wiring preferences. Solar primarily will send the generated power to the battery circuits and either be used in real time or be used for charging the batteries or both.

Hope that helps. There are many great members here with lots of info and technical help. Welcome to the forum and good luck.

I don't do a lot of boondocking right now but when we do, I just run an extension cord from my inverter in the front bay of our 5er to the plug in for the unit.  Might not be the best, but it works for us.

Hi Icedad1. Welcome to the forum. I have to ask though, what is a shrine inverter? Do you mean a sine wave inverter? And what's that got to do with fudge?

Icedad1 said:
I want to install a 3000 watt shrine inverter to my 4 ,6 cycle golf cart batters. I want to either run the inverter directly to fuse box. Or run lines and outlets  one by front TV  2 to the front island in the garage for small fudge.!!
What size wire,?  Later i want to add solar panels Thank you for any ideals you may have.

That's a very large inverter, did you choose 3000W for a specific reason? My last rig also had 4 six volt batteries, and a 2000W inverter. Your battery bank, if new, could theoretically run the 3000W inverter for about 45 minutes at full capacity, but would probably trip off for low voltage after about 30 minutes. Not sure how close to your battery bank you were planning on placing the inverter (needs to be close but not in same compartment) but assuming a three foot run you'd need about #4 cable to support the approximately 240 amp max draw.

Icedad1 said:

A 3000 watt inverter calls for 3 pair of GC-2 batteries (though it should work with 2 pair)

10 ga. minimum 10ga if you run to the fuse box. 

Assumign this inverter is an inverter/charger (nost in that size are less they are SOLAR models)
I'd run 10ga to a 2nd breaker box next to or behind the 1st (Accessable)  This would be a "Sub" box (all breaker boxes in RV's are supposed to be that kind) and move what I call the E--Power circuits to that box (Emergency power or inverter power in this case)  TV, MICROWAVE and GFCI strip at the least... any other "All outlet" circuits.  BUt leave any converter you might not disconnect Air Conditioners.  Fridge and water heater on the Main box.

I was addressing the size of the wire from the batteries to the inverter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom