Insurance Claim on Water Damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeroyJenkins

We've had our camper parked on family land one state over (40-minute drive) for a couple of months now, last stayed in about three weeks ago. Had some nasty storms blow through a couple of weeks back, went to visit couple of days back and the entire slide had been leaking, water everywhere, carpet ruined, floor mushy - it's parked under an old oak tree but we found no limbs or debris on top. We have Comprehensive Coverage through State Farm - will they cover this?

Call them and give them the exact date of the storm in that area.

AAA covered me when I discovered a storm had blown my slidecover off. They checked the date and sure enough a "Wind event" had occurred at the RV park we were located in that was adjacent to an airport. 

I had Progressive on my old coach and they covered a hole in the rubber roof from a branch falling, and in a separate claim a couple of years later, they replaced the roof a/c and the fridge when my shop(which the RV was plugged in to)was struck by lightning.

Probably NOT.  Generally there has to be storm damage of some sort, including wind-driven rain, for the comprehensive insurance to kick in.  Your policy probably says something like the damage must be "sudden and unexpected".  Simple leaks are considered a maintenance issue. Lack of evidence of externally-caused damage leaves you with a very weak claim.  Make the claim but be very careful how you describe it. Emphasize that there were no previous leaks prior to the storms and that you believe the storms caused the leakage.

Good luck.

Some insurance companies have an exclusion as ?acts of God.?  I don?t know if this would be one.  Good luck.

LeroyJenkins said:
How long do I have to file a claim?

I didn't notice my damage untill about five weeks after it happened. Insurance checked the weather back on the date it happened and covered it. That was CSAA (AAA)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sieldenchannel
Back
Top Bottom