Interactive Quiz. A little humor for those over 50!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As for Jaguar quality; the Brits never recovered from the fact that they owned Malaysia. They used to use Natural Rubber for wire insulation instead of synthetic. NR cannot stand ozone and doesn't like UV. It was the worst possible choice. I think they just got used to the fact that their cars (and motorcycles) were always breaking down (and then there were those carburetors (Webers) you could never get synced). Oh Well!
JM2C,
Ernie

Yeah, same for those dang SU's. They also insisted on hooking the battery backwards.

RoyM said:
Yeah, same for those dang SU's. They also insisted on hooking the battery backwards.

Loved my old MGs and the side draught SU carbs. 

I used to work on the MG all weekend so I could drive it to work during the week, and work on my Jeep all week so I could drive it off-road on the weekends.  Go figure ???

I had an old '60 MGA.  The hood (bonnet) and trunk (boot) hinges were all broken.  The spoke wheels were loose, the hydraulic arm shocks were leaky, the cylinders were egg shaped and I was never quite able to get the SUs sync'd even using a listening tube.  But, it was a hoot to drive - well, maybe except for that unsync'd transmission.  One thing I can say about it is that it not not in a shop once while I had it (I couldn't afford it).  Oh yes, it had the neatest turn sign.  It was a clock-like gizmo that would tick and run down then shut off, whether you turned the wheel or not.

And there were starter buttons on the dash, in some cars. And the ('40s, I think) Dodge with the semi auto tranny that (if I recall correctly) only needed the clutch for when you were stopped. And the clever gear pre-select on a Cord -- move the small sliding lever on the dash to the next gear, then pop the clutch when you wanted to actually shift. Or the old Binder trucks that had a differential lock under the seat -- you had to hold it to keep it locked. Hmmm, Dynaflow transmissions...

I hated it when the feds dictated that the high beam indicator on the dash should be blue (used to mostly be red ones), since it hurt my eyes, just as some of the more bluish headlights on cars today do. And I wish the wiper controls were still on the dash.

Larry N. said:
And the ('40s, I think) Dodge with the semi auto tranny that (if I recall correctly) only needed the clutch for when you were stopped.
  That transmission came out shortly after the war, I believe.  The clutch was for shifting into reverse and back, however, you could rev her up and pop the clutch for some real tire smoking.  There was no locking "Park" position, so the parking brake had better work.  The transmission was a two-speed that required one to pick up speed in 1st to about 20-30 MPH then let off the gas briefly for it to shift into drive.  It would kick back down if you floored it.  Daddy had a '48 Chrysler Windsor with it and later traded for a '53 De Soto that also had it.  I learned to drive in the old De Soto and I can tell you that transmission matched with a hemi head V8 would hit 90 MPH without ever shifting out of 1st.  Of course, that was probably why "we" finally burned a valve in it.

Molaker said:
  That transmission came out shortly after the war, I believe.  The clutch was for shifting into reverse and back, however, you could rev her up and pop the clutch for some real tire smoking.  There was no locking "Park" position, so the parking brake had better work.  The transmission was a two-speed

My first car was a Dodge with fluid drive, which was name for the semi-automatic from Chrysler. 0 to 60 was about next week.

BernieD said:
My first car was a Dodge with fluid drive, which was name for the semi-automatic from Chrysler. 0 to 60 was about next week.
Actually, Chrysler had a "fluid" drive that was a standard 3-speed transmission, clutch and all, with an early version of torque converter.  You could come to a stop without using the clutch, but needed the clutch to change gears.  It was followed shortly by the semi-automatic which was the 2-speed I described earlier.

Larry N. said:
And there were starter buttons on the dash, in some cars.

Everything old is new again.  Some current luxury cars have a keyless ignition with just a Start button...on the dash.

BernieD said:

Bernie, so was mine.  A '48 Dodge coupe.  Prettiest car I ever owned.  Maroon with lots of chrome.  Inside panels and dash were Burly Maple pattern.
Mine was a three speed with clutch.

I learned to drive in a Dodge, probably '49 or so.  The seat was stuck in my Dad's position.  He was 6'5" and I was about 5'6".  Must have been a stick shift because he taught us all how to double clutch.  He thought that was an essential skill.  ;D

Margi

My 1964 Tempest had a 4 speed Synchromesh and didn't need any clutching to shift as long as it was moving.

My 1st car was a '48 Plymouth - stick shift.  It was maroon like Lou's Dodge.  Maroon seemed to be a popular color back then.  I paid $100 for it in '59.  Had to rebuild one brake cylinder and replace the king pins before it was road worthy.  It only had about 80K miles on it and was pretty worn out.  Thank goodness they DON'T build them like they used to.

Attachments

• 1959-Plymouth48.jpg
    1959-Plymouth48.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 26
carson said:
Let me take you back a few years.... 1939 Willys    1941 Dodge.... 1955 Dodge. I think they all had the dimmer switch on the far left side, left of the clutch pedal. 

Who cares... they worked.  ;D

Carson FL

What's a clutch?  ;D

First car was a 1928 Chevrolet Coupe with a rumble seat with roll up window between seat and cab. It even had a two tone paint job, Brewster Green with Black fenders. [Rumble seat is also known as a mother in law seat.]

M1894 said:
First car was a 1928 Chevrolet Coupe with a rumble seat with roll up window between seat and cab. It even had a two tone paint job, Brewster Green with Black fenders. [Rumble seat is also known as a mother in law seat.]

Wish I had that car today ... bet it would be worth more today than what you paid!!  :D

My 1936 Ford PU had the starter on the floor between the clutch and brake pedal.  The brakes were mechanical and not very easy to use.  I put in a starter button and a relay to replace the starter swith in the floor... other than that, it was stock, including the aluminum heads on the flathead V8.  The headlight switch was a ring around the horn button, IIRC.  I don't remember a dimmer since I never drove it at night.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTRDYS
Back
Top Bottom