Intermitent No Start - Vintage(OLD) Coach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flatlndr

Hi all. Anyone out there familitar with Vintage rigs??
I've had several instances where my rig wouldn't start. Turns over fine, no start. '82 Cross Country, P30, 454, quadrajet, HEI.
Initially I thought it to be the quadrajet flooding, which I've read to be a common problem. After several instances, I believe I've tracked it down to ignition.
I put an inline spark checker on #8 plug wire the last time it wouldn't start. No fire. After trying to figure out where voltage should be one the HEI dist., I'm shooting in the dark at this time, couldn't find 12v.
After more plugging, unplugging connections, tried to start in Neutral - nope - guess coaches don't work like that - must be in Park. Moved the gear shift lever back and forth in Park and BANG! fired right up.
I've since talked to my mechanic and know were to check voltages at the Dist.
Can someone explain the relationship to the Park lever and ignition?. There has been a couple times when the 454 wouldn't shut off with switch. The last time it finally shut down when the coach settled into park.
Are coaches that much different than autos in this area? I've read about the troubles with the "park brake" but thought it would be on newer coaches.
Any info appreciated.
Tom B

It sure sounds like you may have found the problem. The Ignition switch inside the column do go bad as described. You may have problems shutting the rig off and no start on occaision. Replace the switch! The contacts inside the switch burn over time and the contacts move around inside the switch with age. Replaced many over the years when I worked as a tech and then taught the subj.

Can someone explain the relationship to the Park lever and ignition
In my experience the neutral safety switch has to be engaged (park or neutral) or no voltage to engage the starter. If your engine is turning over fine then the safety switch is working Ok.
No voltage to the distributor (meaning no spark at the plugs) would either be bad ignition switch, not sending +12v to the dist. or a component failure inside the dist.
If it only gives you a no start condition when the engine is warmed up it is usually a component failure in the dist. If it does it when the engine is cold also then look at the switch voltage to the dist.

Back
Top Bottom