Internet Traffic Report - Worldwide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

This website may be interesting to those who haven't seen it before.

Check on the web load / speed / etc.

click  here

Here is another site - Bandwidth and speed tester.

Don't know if it will work on other systems, let me know.

Click here  to find out.

carson FL

Edit: we are talking bits per second

Thanks, Carson, for posting the Bandwidth Tester site. That was helpful, and I will be testing my speeds at different locations and at different times of the day. I notice at campgrounds with WiFi that the speeds seem to slow quite a bit during the evening hours when many folks are online. This site will help to verify it.

Right now in my office I am running at 16Mb/s on cable, and off cable on my WiFi I ran 13Mb/s. Not bad for a Sunday at 3:30 PM

Jack

Hi Sunshein,
  Glad it works for you. One question: your 16Mb/s, is that as shown on the thermometer?
Thats top rung stuff.

I am on cable as well and read about 700 Kb/s. However, I am on an old machine with a 450Mhz processor. Guess that is the reason, can you confirm that?

I am happy with my speed, compared to being on modem for years. I remember starting out with a 2400 baud modem. How did we do That? :)

carson FL

Guten Tag, Mike

Does your "14.500 kbit/s" translate into 14.5 Mbits, or is that 14.5 kbits/

Big difference.

carson FL

carson said:
Glad it works for you. One question: your 16Mb/s, is that as shown on the thermometer?
Thats top rung stuff.

Carson, yes, that's at the top of the thermometer.  ;D I'm on a 1.67 Mhz Powerbook.

Jack

Carson, that is the bad difference between "," and "."
When we here in Germany write "14.500 kbit/s" we mean "14,500 kbit/s". Or 14160156 bit/s.
When we write "2,50 Dollar" we mean "2.50 Dollar"

Mike, you may be missing the difference between Mbit/s and kbit/s (MegaBits and Kilobits) rather than the difference between a period and a comma.

There are a 1000 Kilobits in 1 Megabit. The progression is - bit, kilobit, megabit, gigabit, terabit, petabit, exabit, zettabit, and yottabit (bit x 10 to the 24 power).

Jack

Sunshein,
had in mind there are 1024 bit in a kilobit and 1024 kilobit in a megabit - so I came to the mysterious 14160156 bit/s. But 1000 or 1024 as a factor: the internet is fast enough for me.
Squeezing my brain I only made up to the the "tera" of your list. The rest I've never heard. Would have to look in a book. My education was some decades ago.  ;D
But I remember the other end of the scale: milli, micro, nano pico, femto, atto - that's all I know.

Carson,
shall we tell the politicians about that detail of economy?  ;D

carson said:
I am on an old machine with a 450Mhz processor. Guess that is the reason, can you confirm that?

Almost certainly not the problem.  Compared to operating speeds for the PC, the fastest network data feed can barely make the processor break a sweat.  You could easily handle 1Gb/s speeds and in fact, I run some older Compaq servers with slower processors than yours that have 4 NICs, 3 at 100Mbps and 1 at a Gbps.

We do backups over the high speed fiber so when the server is backing up, the fast NIC is running close to full speed and the processors are basically idling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom