Is a brake buddy that important, just weighing the cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steward98

Hello, I'm getting ready to take the plunge in towing a vehicle. I have a Winnebago Winnie 29B, V10 6.8L and plan to tow a 02 Jeep Wrangler Sport. I plan to use a tow bar and priced it out at General RV in Birch Run, MI. The base plate, tow bar, cables, and Brake Buddy came to a whopping $3700 out the door. The brake buddy priced around $1545. The jeep weighs 3450 lbs. and I see in at least some states, (FL) the maximum towed weight without a brake buddy is 3000 lbs. Do most RV'ers run without it? Or is it a must that people swear by? The motorhome has 2 axles so all the braking would be done by the mh. Originally I was thinking about $2000 for the hookup. Thanks.

You can likely get a good deal on used components. We towed either a car or a full-size Bronco without an auxiliary braking system for a number of years. Looking back, we were probably lucky. Since towing our Suburban, we don't go without the auxiliary braking system, although I realize the Burb is much heavier than the Wrangler.

You really need to have brakes on the toad. Your coach brakes are designed to handle only the coach GVWR, so all that extra toad weight needs some braking to keep stopping distances reasonable. Even if your toad was under 3000 lbs, toad brakes will reduce your stopping distance and potentially avoid an accident.

You can do a lot better than $1545 for a Brake Buddy, though. Or some other toad brake. PPL sells the base model Brake Buddy for around $855. Or get the Ready Brute w/Ready Brake tow bar for around $1250 (+ installation).
http://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/ReadyBrute%E2%84%A2_Elite_RV_Tow_Bar.html

As you have probably discovered, the state laws on the weight that can be towed without additional braking can vary all over the place. Some even argue that no additional braking is needed  because a towed vehicle is NOT a trailer that is mentioned in the laws on required braking. Not sure I would want to test that theory though. Unlike your drivers licence which is accepted anywhere, for example, just because you don't need additional brakes in your home state of xxx, you do need to conform in the other states you will travel through otherwise you could be subject forced unhitching and fines, not even mentioning denial of any claims on insurance should something go wrong....

About the only choice you have is not to tow or to select one of the braking systems that could be  cheaper than a Brake Buddy brand or use a dolly with brakes on it. You could also investigate purchasing used tow bars, brake buddies etc. The base plate is likely specific to a Jeep but you might find a compatible used one too.

JMHO, and FWIW

I ran our 37 DP pulling a Jeep YJ for a couple of years without one. Then one of our forum members sold his to me for around $150 ?? I wouldn't be without it now. Stopping with the toad and brake system is quicker than with just the RV alone. Need it...no...but it reduces butt pucker when the cages pull in front of you and that's worth it.

I'd recommend you do get one. Look into the Blue Ox tow bar and "D" rings that mount on the frame horns (or an after market bumper). I spent about  $1, 700, including installation for the hitch and RVI brake  couple of years ago.

Ernie

Alfa38User said:
As you have probably discovered, the state laws on the weight that can be towed without additional braking can vary all over the place. Some even argue that no additional braking is needed  because a towed vehicle is NOT a trailer  that is mentioned in the laws on required braking. Not sure I would want to test that theory though. Unlike your drivers licence which is accepted anywhere, for example, just because you don't need additional brakes in your home state of xxx, you do need to conform in the other states you will travel through otherwise you could be subject forced unhitching and fines, not even mentioning denial of any claims on insurance should something go wrong....

About the only choice you have is not to tow or to select one of the braking systems that could be  cheaper than a Brake Buddy brand or use a dolly with brakes on it. You could also investigate purchasing used tow bars, brake buddies etc. The base plate is likely specific to a Jeep but you might find a compatible used one too.

JMHO, and FWIW

Actually this is a misconception. A toad vehicle or a toad on a dolly fit the definition of a trailer exactly. Wheels at front and rear of towed vehicle. TT's, 5er's, boat trailers, etc. are better defined as semi trailers because there is no front axle and the tow vehicle bears some of the weight. US DOT definition.

Bill

I would agree with you Bill, that is why I said I would not like to test that theory.... 8)

There is always the possibility of a break away!

Not sure I could live with myself if such an occuracne were to happen which resulted in the death or severe injury to some else regardless of the law.

How often do you plan to tow.. Every few weeks or do you plan on letting the Motor home sit from like October to May in Michigan?

The reason I ask:

General RV is a Blue-OX dealer.. nothing at all against Blue-ox  (I got mine at the Wixom Store) A small amount against General RV (MAKE VERY SURE they put Locktite on the base plate mounting bolts.. DOUBLE CHECK every tow for the first year if you do not see evidence of Locktite... They did not locktite mine,, No damage.. Caught it by inspection and fixed).

But if you tow often.. (Full time and snowbird) so you are not leaving the motor home sit all winter.. READY BRUTE with READY BRAKE may be a better choice of tow bar/brake system.

This is a surge brake system.. but it uses a cable not unlike a parking brake cable.. And you know how those work in Michigan (NOT very well) thanks to the salt on the roads in the winter.

Now.. How important is the aux braking system.

In another forum there is a thread titled "EMERGENCY STOP"

The driver of a large RV had to stand on the brakes (done it myself a time or two) and the consist (MH and Towed) stopped "On a dime" as a result there was no damage....  Without the aux system.. he'd have had front end damage.

It is important.

The mh will sit from October to May most likely. We had planned on just using rentals, but our 1st trip this year, the rental is 50 miles away in the other direction. So we decided to take the plunge and get some advice. From all the replies the advice overwhelmingly recommends the aux. brake system and we will get one. I will make sure we ask that Loc- tite is used on the install. Thanks to all!

steward98 said:
The mh will sit from October to May most likely. We had planned on just using rentals, but our 1st trip this year, the rental is 50 miles away in the other direction. So we decided to take the plunge and get some advice. From all the replies the advice overwhelmingly recommends the aux. brake system and we will get one. I will make sure we ask that Loc- tite is used on the install. Thanks to all!

My son is setting up his pick up to tow his wrangler and just today purchased both a Brake Buddy and a Blue Ox tow bar from someone on Craigslist that had parted with their RV. He paid $400 for the pair and they are in great condition. You might want to consider trying that option. i see them on there fairly frequently.

ANY auxiliary braking system (doesn't have to be Brake Buddy) can save lives and dollars.  When you put on the motorhome's brakes the auxiliary sytem's brakes also go on.  Without the auxiliary brakes the toad could jackknife and cause lots of other problems.  Don't put your family at risk just to save a few dollars.  This is an important safety issue and the laws take second place.

ArdraF

We tow an '01 Jeep Wrangler with an RViBrake and Roadmaster towbar setup. 

The "base plate" was a snap to install on the Jeep.  It just bolts on the bottom of the bumper/frame.  Unlike other installations on cars, there is no cutting or fitting.  I did have a little difficulty removing the torx type bolts but after getting a "hard" torx bit, it was no problem.  Roadmaster gives you very specific installation instructions.  Blue Ox may also - I don't know.

I used to have Roadmaster's version of the Brake Buddy and it performed OK but when the seals wore out on it and some other issues, I replaced it with the RViBrake and I am super impressed.  It is much smaller and much easier to install.  Just set it on the floor, slip the connection onto the brake pedal (much easier than our old one), connect the brakeaway, connect power and hit the automatic setup button.  I can do it faster than the time I just spent typing the instructions.  I had to wrestle quite a bit with the old, much bigger box.

I wouldn't go anywhere without the auxiliary braking.  I have had a few "panic" braking situations where the auxiliary brake made a world of difference.  I have tried towing the Jeep with no braking and tried some hard braking to see what the difference is and it is significant.  Without the brake, the Jeep definitely gives quite a push.

Water Dog said:
My son is setting up his pick up to tow his wrangler and just today purchased both a Brake Buddy and a Blue Ox tow bar from someone on Craigslist that had parted with their RV. He paid $400 for the pair and they are in great condition. You might want to consider trying that option. i see them on there fairly frequently.

I have looked into Craigslist and found I could get the setup for about $800 locally. Baseplate, tow bar, and BrakeBuddy. Everybody who has commented has strongly urged getting an aux. brake system. The way I am viewing it is that I would like to have it professionally installed, even though it seems quite simple, I would hate to make a mistake or worse yet buy a defective part on Craigslist and not know it. I guess after a couple of trips I would have learned enough to know the basics.

I would suggest you go with SMI. Their system is permanently installed under the hood. It also is a proportional braking system which the others are not, mostly.

I run the SMI Play-N-Stay Duo supplemental braking system on my 2005 Jeep Wrangler X...good system, easy to use, and like Gary H. stated it is a proportional braking system. Total cost was a bit north of $1,400.00 including installation. $1,095.00 for the product and it cost me about 3-hours labor at $130.00 per hour (Findlay RV, Las Vegas).

May or may not be valid... But the recent video of the Motor Home blowing a tire and subsequent crash that was caught on a truck dash cam was towing a PU Truck that weighs in the 5,000lb area. In this sequence... pulling the large toad at excessive speed contributed to the MH veering left as violently as it did. I think the momentum of the pickup "pushing" on the MH when the driver lifted off the gas contributed to the violence of the jump to the left.

Now have said this. The momentum of any towed vehicle "pushing" at speed is going to significantly impact your ability to stop. The need for a Brake Buddy is a no brainer!

Discussion on this event and video is here.
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,84041.msg761490.html#msg761490

Here is an FYI  ..............  you HAVE TO use an extra brake system on your toad , IT IS THE LAW ...........  I am not
to sure if you ever are in an accident and you do not have one , I am not sure if insurance will cover you and the other fellow !
In Canada anything over 2500 lbs has to have an external braking system on it and in every USA state they are diff. weights
look into your weights for your states ....................  for what it is worth we use the BLUE-OX tow bar and base plate and we flat
tow a smart car so we do not need and extra brake system ............. our car weighs 1800 lbs ..............

We hope this helps

steward98 said:
Hello, I'm getting ready to take the plunge in towing a vehicle. I have a Winnebago Winnie 29B, V10 6.8L and plan to tow a 02 Jeep Wrangler Sport. I plan to use a tow bar and priced it out at General RV in Birch Run, MI. The base plate, tow bar, cables, and Brake Buddy came to a whopping $3700 out the door. The brake buddy priced around $1545. The jeep weighs 3450 lbs. and I see in at least some states, (FL) the maximum towed weight without a brake buddy is 3000 lbs. Do most RV'ers run without it? Or is it a must that people swear by? The motorhome has 2 axles so all the braking would be done by the mh. Originally I was thinking about $2000 for the hookup. Thanks.
I wish I had saw this sooner......I have a "Brake/Buddy" for sale......I also live just outside Birch Run, Mi. ..... ::)

Back
Top Bottom