Is about 500 miles doable in a day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great Horned Owl said:
While I have a 5th wheel and it has been a long time since I had a motor home ((I had a 30' class C about 35 years ago), I don't quite understand those folks who can drive 500 miles per day in an auto, but only 300 to 400 miles in a motor home or towing.

The seats in the motor home are at least as comfortable. Steering requires no more effort. Cruise control works about the same. Where does the difference come from?

Joel

Well driving my Class C is significantly different than driving my Lincoln Town Car.
and having to be constantly mindful of the Toad, back there, or the extra 30 feet or so behind you, and the extra six or seven feet of overhead should give one pause, and encourage a higher state of awareness in the driver. 
Again, a lot of it depends on the road you are traveling, too. you have big box that is much more affected by the wind, and road conditions, and physics becomes far more important.

I never think twice about running 75-85 down the highway in my Town Car. (well, except when the speed limit is closer to 65) but my rig reacts far differently to all those variables than the Town car does, and requires a significantly higher level of attention.
500 miles is a ten to 12 hour drive in my RV, and a 6 or 7 hour drive in the Town Car.

On long trips I average 500 miles.  My longest was 600.  It's not fun, but it's doable.  I hit the road by 6am and typically arrived by 6pm.
When you're not retired and have 2 or 3 weeks for an extended trip I would much rather put the extra time in driving and have the time at my destination.  If I get to a campground and I'm leaving in the morning anyway, what's the difference? 

All depends upon what you are used to and personal limitations: time, family, kids, pets and etc.
We do it often with our 30 feet class C and a towed vehicle behind us since we are still working and we want to maximize our time at our destination. Everybody is right though, it is tiring.

I think the thing to remember is what one person sees as routine another may see as insane, I know someone that is towing a bass boat from south Louisiana to Wisconsin this weekend for a fishing tournament, at a minimum this is a 2,100 mile round trip just to get to the Wisconsin state line, 2,600+ miles round trip to northern Wisconsin.  They departed Louisiana on mid day on Thursday and will be back next Tuesday or possibly Wednesday.  Sure a bass boat tows either than a 5th wheel, but to me that is still a lot of driving, for such a short stay, of course the guy that is doing this worked as an over the road truck driver when he was younger, ...

It would depend on the individual.  I do it every night 5 nights a week. 500 miles a night. I do it on RT95 from Northern NJ to Washington DC and back ,thru Baltimore and The Washington Beltway. I pull a 53' trailer.  That is 2500 miles a week. 120,000 miles a year. Been doing this for almost  30 years. You have to like driving, I do. :)

Ive done it many times 3500 miles in 3 days with 3 days and lots of breaks and had a blast doing it - the key is to stop every 2 hours grab a drink and a snack let the dogs pee and just enjoy the scenery and enjoy the view Vancouver to Toronto 2600 miles in 3 days 3 days back and did it again the next year lol its more than doable

steveblonde said:
Ive done it many times 3500 miles in 3 days with 3 days and lots of breaks and had a blast doing it - the key is to stop every 2 hours hrab a drink and a snack let the dogs pee and just enjoy the scenery and enjoy the view Vancouver to Toronto 2600 miles in 3 days 3 days back and sid ut agsin the next year lol its more than doabke

Are all the typos because of the long hours behind the wheel?
Just asking. ;D

LOL, good shot. Steve, with all due respect I don't want to be on the road with you. That is nuts, Vancouver to Winnipeg is two long days and that is only halfway. Now that I am retired I generally am not on the road much before 9 and looking for a campsite by 4:30 at the latest. I use cg's for overnight stops, I want to set up the grill while having a cold adult beverage and just relax. The days of 15 hour suicide runs are behind me.
My late wife's  first husband was like that, they would reach Reno from Vancouver in a day and a half. "If Al was driving we would be in xxx by now" I finally told her if she wanted to travel like that get Al, I wouldn't do it. She finally learned to relax and enjoy the journey.

darsben said:
Are all the typos because of the long hours behind the wheel?
Just asking. ;D
stupid phone and fat fingers lol

i might add though both me and the wife each drive 50,000 plus miles a year -we are both salespeople so we do a lot of driving and often only see each other on weekends so we are both used to lots of seat time 

When we were working we would take 2/3 weeks vacations and often averaged 500+ miles a day to get to our destination area. From northern Vermont that was usually Florida (days 3), From Phx, AZ it was usually the mid coast of Oregon (2.5 days). From Phx we often started after work and drove to Indio for the first night. From Indio we would drive at least 600 miles (one time we drove 750 miles) to make the last day shorter.

Roy M said:
Let me know when you are on the road so I can stay out of your way. Seriously, that is really pushing your limits especially with an rv.

RV is easier to drive than an 80k lb truck which makes it easier for me to make those 600-700 mile drives.

Ken & Sheila said:
When we were working we would take 2/3 weeks vacations and often averaged 500+ miles a day to get to our destination area. From northern Vermont that was usually Florida (days 3), From Phx, AZ it was usually the mid coast of Oregon (2.5 days). From Phx we often started after work and drove to Indio for the first night. From Indio we would drive at least 600 miles (one time we drove 750 miles) to make the last day shorter.

Go ahead, rub it in why don't ya. 8)

We're still working full-time and that is exactly what we do but looking forward to the days when we no longer have to cram all of our fun into several weeks a year traveling.

Mike

Personally I'd think of the possibility of flat tires or breakdowns; accidents blocking the highways; road construction and day of the week. If leaving on a Friday evening or Saturday not good! i wouldn't tow an RV unless it is a leisurely vacation!

zmotorsports said:
Go ahead, rub it in why don't ya. 8)

We're still working full-time and that is exactly what we do but looking forward to the days when we no longer have to cram all of our fun into several weeks a year traveling.

Mike

You just think it will get easier. I've been retired for ten years. We now take two 8 to 10 week trips, twice a year, along with a few shorter trips. It doesn't make a bit of difference. I still hate wasting days on the road, so 500 to 600 mile days are still the norm.

On Thursday, we will be leaving for 10 weeks. We will visit Badlands N.P., Black Hills N.F., Bighorn N.F., Bighorn Canyon N.R.A., Custer N.F., Shoshone N.F., Yellowstone N.P., and Grand Teton N.P.  On the way home, the fall color show will be starting, so we will swing north and visit Michigan's upper peninsula.

We will spend our first night in Mitchel, SD. from previous experience, that is 585 miles. Why do we do that? It is so the next day will only be 210 miles, and we will have an extra afternoon to enjoy the park. When I get older, I may need to slow down a little.

Joel

Your travel style (and retirement time) is very similar to ours.  We see no need in wasting time lollygagging along while en route to our destinations.  Not to mention, when we get to regions of severe weather, we have added incentive to put it behind us...

Great Horned Owl said:
You just think it will get easier. I've been retired for ten years. We now take two 8 to 10 week trips, twice a year, along with a few shorter trips. It doesn't make a bit of difference. I still hate wasting days on the road, so 500 to 600 mile days are still the norm.

On Thursday, we will be leaving for 10 weeks. We will visit Badlands N.P., Black Hills N.F., Bighorn N.F., Bighorn Canyon N.R.A., Custer N.F., Shoshone N.F., Yellowstone N.P., and Grand Teton N.P.  On the way home, the fall color show will be starting, so we will swing north and visit Michigan's upper peninsula.

We will spend our first night in Mitchel, SD. from previous experience, that is 585 miles. Why do we do that? It is so the next day will only be 210 miles, and we will have an extra afternoon to enjoy the park. When I get older, I may need to slow down a little.

Joel

Because we are on a tight schedule, we have done about 410 miles per day for the last two days.  I cannot imagine doing 500.  We are now doing more like 300 for the rest of our trip.  Forget what google says you can do it in.  Divide 50 into total mileage and that has worked pretty consistently for us on calculating time.  Good luck!

Divide 50 into total mileage and that has worked pretty consistently for us on calculating time.
It's amazing how often I've seen that in these forums, and it generally works for us too. What's surprising to me is that I've used that formula for decades, long before I got into RVing, and it's not far off for our car trips, if they're long haul rather than half day or such.

My first time driving my fifth wheel I put on over 700 miles, at 65 MPH.  In my car, I drive 850 a day on the first day of a long trip. 78 mph.  Start early 5 AM, stop every ~200 miles, and make the stops fast.  Stop shortly after dark, and have a destination you are going to.

Divide 50 into total mileage and that has worked pretty consistently for us on calculating time.  Good luck!
It's amazing how often I've seen that in these forums, and it generally works for us too. What's surprising to me is that I've used that formula for decades, long before I got into RVing, and it's not far off for our car trips, if they're long haul rather than half day or such.
That's our formula, it works.

Back
Top Bottom