Is an aluminum or rubber membrane better for a replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oriontn said:
If I were going to put a roof on a RV I would look at the spray-on type.  Something like Rhino Flex or a product similar.
A professional shop sprayed on Rhino liner roof would be a perfect repair.....I wonder what would it cost?

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Winnebago had some major issues with the quality of the side seams that caused their buyers no end of grief, but it's not correct to blame that on the material used. Poor installation buggers up even the best material!.
Winnebago didn't have a major problem, rather some of the owners had a major problem :)  I don't think Winnebago took responsibility for any of them unfortunately.

I would agree with Tony, I don't think it was an installation issue, unless they were cutting the roof too short.  It's not the greatest design, and if the caulking isn't maintained it can leave you with a big surprise.  Awareness and some maintenance is all that is keeping the rest of the Winnie roofs on. 

okay  :)  when I started out I wasn't going to 'rant on roofs',  ...but then I did.

sorry.  :))

I agree with you Gary, we had a fibreglass roof on our Holiday Rambler and it was basically trouble free. I loved it. Had a class C with an aluminum  roof,  pin holes and leaks were common problem.

Bill

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Cheez, guys. I was only suggesting that a properly designed and installed fiberglass roof is as trouble-free as any.  :mad:
  Your suggestion was well taken, but I think calling out Winnies issue as an "installation" problem rather than "design" problem caused some people to disagree with you, including myself.  I don't think it has ever been shown they were not installed properly, rather it is a design that requires maintenance and if the maintenance is not done it can be catastrophic.

Yeah, it's the way the Winnie roofs were designed that caused the ongoing problem.  Location and type of seam.  The only significant point here is that the problem has nothing to do with it being fiberglass - the problem would have been the same if the material was EPDM or TPO or metal.

Aluminum or other metal roofs are not necessarily noisy either. If the metal lies flat on a wood or other solid substrate, there will be no noise. However, if it is suspended over open space or very light insulation, it can resound like a drum. Both aluminum and fiberglass are rigid enough so that portions of the roof may be bridged over open spaces in the substrate, so that can lead to more noise. EPDM & TPO generally cannot be installed that way, so typically don't have that concern. Again, it's a matter of proper design, not the material itself.

Back
Top Bottom