Is installing an Anti sway bar a DIY project?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggermike

I recently installed a Davis Tru track and it made a big difference in the handling of my 2004 Fleetwood Terra.  I'm now thinking of adding a rear anti sway bar also.  I've looked at the anti sway bar installation instructions and they don't look too difficult.  I'm wondering if any one has done it as a DIY project, and if there were any problems?

I have done them on pickups and trucks and the biggest issue is if you can get one made for your chassis.  If you get a kit made for your chassis it should be no problem, if not the installation can be more challenging.
Since you put the Tru track on you shouldn't have much of an issue. 

Thanks for the confidence.  I'm going to make a torque wrench extension before I do the installation.  I had a lot of trouble trying to torque the Davis tru track to 220# while laying on my back under the MH.  The extension that I found on the internet will allow me to torque the nuts that hold the plates on with half the effort. 

A torque wrench is calibrated to be pushed or pulled by the handle of the bar. Add an extension to it, it's not going to be accurate at all.

The extension is not like a cheater bar or pipe that you put over the handle.  The extension is a steel bar that is attached to the end of the torque wrench using a female socket that has been welded to it.  The other end has a the male end welded to the bar.  The socket is attached to the male end.  Using a mathematical equation you can figure out how much force is need to torque the nut to the desired pounds.  I've attached a link to the torque extension.  After reviewing this link please let me know if you find it to be in error.  I believe it is correct.
Thanks
http://www.freeinfostuff.com/TorqueExtension/TorqueExtension.htm

Ahhhhhhh  ;), yep, that should work.
Could'a used one of them the other day to tighten the locknut on the Ultratrac bar I installed.
I just used the ' good-n-tight ' method  ;D!

My husband installed all the new items on our motorhome including the anti sway bar so I know you can.

He also added the air compressor and fixed all the switches and gauges in the dash so I can air up my air bags in the back.  Also I can air up my tires too.

For quite awhile I couldn't get it to put any air in my tires and thought the compressor wasn't big enough.  He finally was taking the end off the hose to replace it and found a wasp nest in it that was restricting the flow!  Fixed that.

Yes, I digressed again. :-[

It's not too late to re-torque the Ultratrack bar.  I'm going to re-torque the bolts I used to attach the Davis tru track with the extension.  Laying on my back under the MH I was only able to torque it to about 170#.  I will now be able to torque it to the recommended 220# with half the effort!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom