It's a new topic for me; for most of you, it's probably the usual for a newcomer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We bought ours used at one year old. It had less than 1700 miles on it, and 750 of those were delivery from the factory.  The asking price was about 8% less than a new one. The real help was the numbers on our trade ins (trailer and pick-up) looked a lot better on the used one than they did on a new one. Dealer had a bit more "wiggle" room. Being this was the third unit we bought from them in 4 years didn't hurt any either. When we were haggling, the manager walked over to the salesman and finance manager because the finance manager wouldn't go for our offer. The manager asked them what the issue was and the finance manager showed him our offer and explained "we can't do that". The manager looked at the deal and shook his head no. When he turned around, he saw us sitting in the show room and asked if we saw anything we wanted. We told him yes, but can't get the deal we wanted. He then asked what unit and I told him the one the finance manager had on his desk. He walked back to the finance manager and told him "those guys are like family, take their offer".

SebastianFL said:
I do think a class A is best for me, because I want to keep my little hybrid car as my means of day-to-day running about and it would be easy to tow, I think.

Before you assume your hybrid can be towed, go to:

http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

Enter your car's information and see what they have to say.

For example, the Toyota Prius cannot be towed 4 down, nor can it use a tow dolly, it must be driven onto a full trailer so all four wheels are off of the ground.

Many campgrounds don't have room for a large motorhome, a tow car AND a 20 ft. trailer, so if you keep a car that has to be trailered, you may be limited in where you can stay.

Our experience parallels Tom J's more closely.  We've bought five new motorhomes (3 Cs + 2 DP As) and all five were positive experiences.  We researched a lot and waited until we found what we thought was the best fit for us.  We kept each one quite a few years before upgrading to bigger ones.  We also tend to keep all our vehicles for a number of years.

On the other hand, we met at a rally a couple who the previous year had bought a brand new top-of-the-line Class A DP.  They started attending rallies and were averaging changes every six months.  Now that's a HUGE depreciation hit!  They walked into the first one and fell in love with it and bought it.  At the next rally whey walked into another one, again fell in love with that one, and traded in the "old" one for it.  They were on their third one in about a year when we met.  That couple obviously had a very visceral reaction (along with a lot of cash!) and did a lot of impulse buying.  They really didn't know what they wanted and didn't research it like most of us do.  I definitely think they're the exception to the rule but I'm not convinced people buy their first one and then upgrade a year later.  We had our first motorhome for several years and loved it.  Also, there are more issues with the newer complex motorhomes than in our earlier ones that had far fewer technical gadgets than today's models.

ArdraF

kdbgoat said:
Welcome to the site! :)

If it is going to sit all the time except for one trip North and one trip South a year, I would get a fifth wheel. It really hurts a motorhome to sit.

I would give the same advice. Motor homes, in fact ALL motor vehicles. like to be driven from time to time, six months is a long time to sit still.. Though many do it.. Still sitting for long periods like that is more a 5th wheel ability than a Motor home.

But if you want to move a bit more often.. A Class A is fantastic.. I'm sitting in one.

I probably get to get outside this newcomers topic area, but for now I'm learning a lot just by reading your responses...and thanks.  I am wondering if there is a place that tells what kind of RV (if any) that you all own and a topic area where you talk about your particular rvs and compare them and review them, etc.  That would be a fascinating education for me!

I am wondering if there is a place that tells what kind of RV (if any) that you all own and a topic area where you talk about your particular rvs and compare them and review them, etc.

Many folks put their RV make/model in their signature line that appears below their messages.

Messages from folks talking about their own RVs can be found in the respective message board (Motorhomes, Trailers & Fifthwheels, Van Conversions, etc.)

We don't attempt to review makes/models. There are sites on the internet that attempt to do this, but accuracy of the data/conclusions is often considered questionable.

This is in a craigslist listing for a Fleetwood Southwind.  I am wondering if this means anything or if it is just marketing or hype or would this actually be an advantage? 
"Has an extended all inclusive warranty for the vehicle and tires, Expires on 07/21/2021 or 70000 miles. $100.00 deductible per occurrence not item. "

What year is this? Southwind used to be the low end of Fleetwood's Class A offerings.

Southwind used to be the low end of Fleetwood's Class A offerings.
That may be misleading. The Southwind & Pace Arrow were sister brands, essentially the same coach with different trim, and both were the top end of Fleetwoods gas-chassis line. The entire gas-chassis coach line-up, however, was and is low relative to most of the diesel-powered coach models, e.g. Discovery, Providence/Excursion, etc.  Most of the more upscale and more expensive models used diesel chassis.

The lower end of Fleetwoods gas-power Class A models were brands like Terra and Storm.

Maybe "upper low-end" would be a more apt description?

[quote author=SebastianFL]2014 southwind 36L[/quote]

I was thinking of older models, and I'm not really familiar with their recent models.

That may be misleading.

Yes, I was thinking of gas coaches, and didn't mean to compare with diesel coaches of that era. Fleetwood's American Coach lineup was/is in a different league.

Call it what you wish, but our Pace Arrow was not like the Southwind of the same era; Quite different body style, and other differences (although I suspect they were on the same chassis). Can't speak for today's Southwind, as I haven't kept up with Fleetwood's products.

I've been reading articles in the Library off and on most of the day.  I am learning a lot about RVs.  Thanks for collecting all the information and personal touches to the articles and even the accidents, etc. 

At the top of the page is a link to Show unread post since last visit. I find that is the best page to bookmark when accessing the forum. I read everything of interest then mark all messages as read.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom