It's the best time ever to buy a used Tesla

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Below shows why:
View attachment 172012
-Don- Reno, NV
Thanks for sharing that Don. What doesn't appear to be factored in is how old is used? I'd speculate that, as we progress in time, the most recent data might include more older EVs, and therefore we'd expect lower prices.

Does this make me an RV hater?

Thanks for sharing that Don. What doesn't appear to be factored in is how old is used? I'd speculate that, as we progress in time, the most recent data might include more older EVs, and therefore we'd expect lower prices.
I assume it's an average or median price of all used Teslas combined. Pay more or less based on year and mileage, condition, model and possible other stuff.

But it shouldn't make much difference if they are using the same average info for each year. And there are also large peaks shown, so it has to be more than "older EVs".

I don't know how much loss people will be willing to accept on the very first Tesla EVs (Model S, etc) that cost them well more than a hundred grand.

Does this make me av RV hater?
Not that nonsense again! :D

-Don- Reno, NV

Do those used prices come with new batteries? Major expense if they don't.

You can expect the Tesla battery to outlast the rest of the car.
But easy to test a used car for range. Just watch the SOC% and see how far it drops in 10 miles or so. That will give a rough idea of its range.

Tesla battery degrading at 200,000 miles (322,000 km) is expected to be about 12%. Will also charge to full 12% faster. Not that big of a deal.

1711420072752.png

"Early data from newer Model 3 and Model Y vehicles also show strong capacity retention of less than 10% after 100,000 miles and less than 15% after 200,000 miles, but not many vehicles have reached those mileages just yet."

There are many variables, I would expect a Tesla that has only been home charged to last longer than one that has been Supercharged a lot.

But you're more likely to need a new engine and tranny in an ICE car than a new battery in a Tesla.

Do you know of any ICE car that will give that long of a warranty on as tranny or engine?

Tesla battery warranty.

-Don- Reno, NV

An EV wouldn’t be of much value to me if it was free.
Why is that? I see Tesla superchargers in Soldotna so there must be Teslas up there.

Soldotna Supercharger
43540 Kleeb Loop,
Soldotna, AK 99669, USA

Other chargers up there also, that most Teslas and other EVs can use:

Custom Seafoods
35722 Kenai Spur Hwy,
Soldotna, AK 99669, USA

But those are way too close to be useful if you have home charging. But from there in Soldotna, you should be able to drive a LR Tesla all the way to the FL keys (That's 5,200 miles/ 8,400KM) with a charge stop every couple of hundred miles or so, from what I see on Plugshare.

I would want a break at least that often anyway.

-Don- Reno, NV

Why is that? I see Tesla superchargers in Soldotna so there must be Teslas up there.

Soldotna Supercharger
43540 Kleeb Loop,
Soldotna, AK 99669, USA

-Don- Reno, NV
I know the place; it’s actually on Whistle Hill Loop. Rich family that could afford toys and get a charging station that they are the ones using.

EV is worthless up here. Our vehicles are not toys. We are demanding of them and our climate is not friendly to batteries. I want to he able to tow things and get home.

I know the place; it’s actually on Whistle Hill Loop. Rich family that could afford toys and get a charging station that they are the ones using.

EV is worthless up here. Our vehicles are not toys. We are demanding of them and our climate is not friendly to batteries. I want to he able to tow things and get home.
1711427399917.png
The four Tesla Superchargers there have a long list of check-ins from different people on Plugshare. And most people do not bother to check in. So they have been getting plenty of use.

I wouldn't consider Tesla a toy.

The range is about half when towing. And worse when cold. If you need to tow a distance, perhaps that could be a problem, but @Viajeros does it often in Canada.

What type of vehicle is most common up there?

-Don- Reno, NV

Many with the 7.3L V8 engine?

-Don- Reno, NV
That was my choice but Ford didn’t get around to making my 2023 Platinum w the Godzilla. So, I flew down to Idaho and drove up a used F-250. Used 250s were hard to come by up here. I had just gotten a boat the my F-150 couldn’t pull. Time was a wastin’.

IMG_3593.jpeg

There’s personal preferences between the 7.3 gasser and the 6.7 diesel. IMO the diesel ain’t worth the trouble up here.

There is one guy with an F-150 Lightning. It’s worthless as a truck. Can’t get north of here towing anything. He can’t get rid of it.

So glad I don’t live in Alaska. No thanks.

The graph is….lacking meaningful context. Don, care to post your source?

I assume the graph also generally follows the basic trajectory of all used vehicles through the pandemic.

I’d expect a used Model 3 to have a different value than a slightly used Model X or a Model S Plaid. A single line with no model or aging information makes it about as useful as a median home price when shopping for a home.

I wonder how a Tesla Cybertruck would do towing that boat. Can tow 11,000 lbs. But we will not find any of those used at a bargain price for quite a while.

-Don- Reno, NV
I’m a bit over 11K but for sake of argument let’s call it 11K. I wouldn’t make it to Whittier, let alone make the return trip.

I’m a bit over 11K but for sake of argument let’s call it 11K. I wouldn’t make it to Whittier, let alone make the return trip.
A bit over 11K? Still no problem for at least one EV.

To Whitter is only 110 miles from Soldotna and you have a couple of places to charge up on the way. So the Cybertruck could make it.

But the Ford Ramcharger can tow 14,000 lbs and has a range of 690 miles (when not towing) when the gas genny is running. And can still recharge on the way and perhaps not use the gasoline. But you're carrying your own gasoline fast charger, so that gives many choices.

But yeah, the EV only range will be lousy towing 14K lbs. In fact, won't be all they great even with an ICE engine. Perhaps diesel is the way to go there.

But perhaps an EV for you isn't totally out of the question.

So if one offers you a Ford Ramcharger EV for "free" take it! You could even like it!:D

You may even want to consider it even if not for free.:unsure::D

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom