Jeep CJ/TJ/YJ Insights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SantaCruzin

Hey all!

We haven't yet had the need to tow a vehicle behind our Class-C RV but we have a trip coming up next month where we will be on the road for 11 days. We currently have a Mini Cooper which would need to be put on a tow dolly but I've been considering selling that car as it was my commuter and with COVID...I no longer commute. If the commuter was sold I'd like to find something else to tow behind our RV. We have a 3,500 lb weight limit so options are somewhat limited. I used to own some Full-Sized Jeeps (J-2500 and wagoneer) and have always kind of been interested in the CJ/TJ/YJ idea. I saw a few at the KOA this weekend and it got my little brain spinning.

I'd love to hear any insights you all might have on them. Tips, tricks, suggestions, etc. Things to avoid? Things to look for? We will mostly be using it to access surf spots, biking trails, hiking trails, etc. so we don't really need/want some crazy rock-crawler setup. We also have two kids in car seats so I have to weigh that... :)

Most Jeeps are going to be pushing your 3,500 pound weight limit, unless they are stripped down with no hard roof, no back seat, etc.  even then it will need to have one of the lighter engines.

Thanks Isaac!

I know online information can only be trusted so much, but I've been digging around as much as possible and Curb weight on a 1995 (last year of the YJ) is listed between 2,800 and 3,100 lbs at nearly all sources I've found. The 6 cylinder seems to add about 150 lbs, give or take.

A 1997 (first year of TJ) lists a curb weight of 3100-3300 lbs.

Ok, I am not an expert on it, though I have shopped for later TJ's and JK's which are heavier, also I am have a higher towing capacity, so it is less of an issue. My guess is the TJ's gained some weight with the changes in transmission and engines in the later years.    Specs on the 2005 TJ show it as between 3200 -  3857 https://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-102.htm

Oof, yeah...and I'd worry that it would be pretty easy to get up to that weight limit with all the things I'd be tempted to put on the Jeep :)

Does anyone know how much a towbar and braking setup would weigh? I don't know anything about flat-towing vehicles unfortunately.

Depends Steel or Aluminum tow bar, also which braking system, I have bought all the stuff to do the install on my wife's 2017 Jeep Cherokee, all total it may come in at around 120 pounds, with the base plate and tow bar being the heaviest bits.  looks like a TJ baseplate is about 33 pounds, the Evenbrake 9400 I bought weighs 22 and a random Blue OX tow bar weighs 47, add in a couple of pounds for wiring, and 120 is a good guess.

Bought my first Jeep Tj this year, a2006, last year of the tj. I wanted a toad for trips when we don't take the boat. I researched tj s a little and decided on a 2005-06 with the lowest miles I could find. I welded up my own tow bar, it connects to the Welded D rings on the after market bumper. I don't know the weight, I added a winch,it has a 4.0 motor, auto trans, a hard top. The 4 cyl is pretty gutless from what I have read, but if you combined it with a soft top, I guess you'll be in the ballpark for tow capacity, but I don't think you'll be happy with it vs a 6cyl. I would still tow mine if I had a Class C w/3500lb tow limit, even if it was only a couple hundred pounds over. My truck doesn't even know the Jeep is there
towing it. They're great for towing and fun to run around in, just do some homework on certain years,,,gregg

My 1970 CJ5 with 327 Chevy, full fabric top, spare tire, tow bar, full tank of gas (11 gal), BrakeBuddy weighs just a tad over 2700 lbs. Has the original metal body/ tailgate.

Off the topic but I have to chuckle. My buddys bil had a CJ-5 with a Ford 302, it was a lot of fun but range was limited with the small tank. We would fill up then go into town 15 miles away to chase girls and fill up again to get home.

Roy M said:
Off the topic but I have to chuckle. My buddys bil had a CJ-5 with a Ford 302, it was a lot of fun but range was limited with the small tank. We would fill up then go into town 15 miles away to chase girls and fill up again to get home.

You needed a 4wd to chase girls? We?re they cross country runners?  8)

Back
Top Bottom