Jet-Ride air bag fail - how / where to go for replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeworX

Hey guys, well we pulled out of Edmonton and about 100 clicks later the compressor/check air suspension lights come on. When I parked, there was an audible hiss coming from the rear passenger side bag and I could feel the air coming out the middle seam -it appears to be a crack or split  in the rubber. It's a Jet Ride system on the rear suspension.

Couple of questions:

Where would be best to replace them - at an RV dealer or Ford dealer? (F53 chassis) or is it a DIY job (without jacking the unit up)?

Is it safe to drive a few hundred kms to a place that can repair it? Could some tightly wrapped duct tape help temporarily? We drove for almost 150km to our destination and it *seems* ok.

Appreciate your advice,

Mike

Edit: actually duct tape is probably a silly suggestion since the bag has to lift several thousand pounds; scratch that!

I have put a tire patch on semi trucks and trailers air bags over the years in a pinch to get home. (Got my 1st air tractor in 1966). I still carry a bike patch kit in tool box. Doubt if your bags carry much over 20-30 lbs. at most, but if it's in the seam of a double bellows bag, hard to patch. Enough duct tape might slow down leak.

This thread may help. It has links to other threads with part numbers and other info.

The Jecto rear air suspension was a Winnebago installed option. I'd be looking for a medium/heavy duty truck shop that works on air suspensions. That excludes most RV shops and Ford dealers. With the part numbers from one of the threads linked above, shouldn't be a big deal to get a replacement airbag.

Thanks for the additional info - I've tried some duct-tape under but that does not seems to be helping - hole seems to be under the lip at the bottom - not fully exposed as the bag won't fully inflate. I'll check those links for a part number then track down a shop that can install it.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom