Journey DL 36G - DL meaning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The "DL" is just one of Winnebgo's model designations and has no inherent meaning other than what Winnebago marketing assigns to it in any given model year. In 2003 it indicated a more upscale, higher capacity package within the Journey family of products, but comparing a 2003 DL version chassis to a 2005 non-DL chassis isn't necessarily apples-to-apples. You can see both the standard Journey chassis and the DL version chassis for the same model-year on the FCCC site.  Here's the 2003 standard Journey, which you will notice uses lighter duty chassis components.  Lower GVWR, lesser transmission, smaller alternator and other technical differences.
https://www.fcccrv.com/wp-content/uploads/oem_pdfs/Winnebago/XC0305-2003.pdf

In any given model year, compare the model brochures (Winnebago site) and chassis specs (FCCC site) to see what the configuration differences are for that particular year.

Right - like Gary says the marketing people usually drive decisions about how to refer to a model. Car manufacturers are notorious for having a model suffix like Mercedes Benz (like E-320) and BWM. In these cases, the suffix does relate to the model and maybe engine displacement. Sometimes you will see an "SE" - Special Edition on cars. Sometimes the Special means it's a stripped down less expensive model.

Here's a link to older brochures - you can look at them side by side and match features.

Thank guys!
For your very detailed infos.
Indeed, Gary, I don't know why I compared a 2003 DL with a 2005 model. My nonsense.

Anecdote: The word "deluxe" means better quality or more luxurious, e.g. a deluxe hotel suite. But back in my childhood days, the automakers began to label their basic or stripped down models "Deluxe", probably to help avoid the stigma of buying a cheap model. Just marketing double-talk, but it probably worked.

Back
Top Bottom