Keystone Cougar : How to connect grill to outside gas connection.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

repcool

Howdy,

our 2009 Keystone Cougar has a gas fitting on the passenger front that accepts a quick disconnect.  I am having a heck of a time finding a setup that will let me connect my grill which uses the Coleman green throw away cylinders.  I already have a connection for the grill that lets me connect it to a propane tank.  So, I either need a solution that lets me connect directly to the grill or lets me use my existing fittings.  I even asked the dealer and they barely had a clue, saying they would need to order the parts but then they couldn't figure them out.

Has anyone hooked up an outside grill to this factory solution?

Simon

Chances are the fitting in the trailer is on the low pressure side of the propane system (but you would need to verify this) and won't work with the high pressure regulator on your BBQ. You'd need to remove the regulator on the BBQ and then source a hose and QC connector. Some BBQ's have the temperature control integral with the regulator so those wouldn't be usable in your scenario. Grills like the Weber "Q" have a seperate regulator that can be removed.

Low pressure propane runs at something like 0.5psi (11in water column) FAR below what a propane tank puts out directly.

What make and model of grill do you have?
Is the regulator built-in with the control valve?  If so, using a standard BBQ tank is your only option, however you get tees designed for this that fit on the propane tank and still connect your trailer and BBQ at the same time.

If the regulator is separate from the valve, you may be able to do what I did in the post Derby6 provided.  Forget the dealer, go to a propane store that does installations.

This is my grill: http://www.rei.com/product/796480

I hear what you are saying about a T on my existing tank....that might be the best option I think and then I don't need to worry about regulators on my grill.  It must have one in it because I hook it up directly to the Propane tank without a regulator and it didn't explode....

I have a Cougar fifth wheel and use the outside fitting to hook direct on my camp chef stove (with regulator on stove removed).  The link to your grill states it is bulk cylinder compatible if used with a high-pressure hose and adapter (all sold separately).  The fitting on the Cougars is after the pressure regulator and is therefore on the low pressure side.  You will have to hook up to your tanks somehow before the regulator to get the high pressure you need for your grill.

Because the Coleman has two valves, the regulator is likely separate from the valves.  You'd need to locate the regulator to see if it can be unscrewed.  If it is and you can find a propane outfit that can find the proper adapters to attach a low pressure hose where the regulator was, you would be in business.

If you get an adapter to put it between your tank and trailer adapter, you have the advantage of not having to modify your BBQ and can use it anywhere anytime.

the factory connection on your cougar is a quick connect type, youll have to adapt it. Or you can buy a marshall quick connect kit to use your coleman grill from your lp tanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom