Known motorhome problems and repair costs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

Is there a repository of known problems with certain motorhomes?  As I continue to search for that perfect low cost low mileage, exceptional motorhome, I often come across units that look to good to be true.  Then after a bit of research find out why.  This is very frustrating and in some cases, I doubt a skilled mechanic would find these known problems.  A few examples I've come across during my search over the past 3 years:

Sidewall delamination on certain National RV units. 
  Ball joints on certain Spartan chassis that are supposedly sealed. 
  Charge air cooler on certain Country Coach models.
  Ford V10 2 valve spark plug issue.
  Safari aluminum radiator problems.
  Brake issue with certain Chevy Vortec motorhomes.

I don't know of any such repository. You can check recalls on the NHTSA website, but that's hardly comprehensive. Good place to start, though.

I could add a number of possible brand issues to your list, but I'm not sure that a [dirty] laundry list is all that constructive if you just collect everybody's favorite gripe. 

You would be hard-pressed to find a brand that had no delamination problems at some time, and no way to know whether they are a design fault or lack of maintenance.

Just do not allow  anyone including dealer remove and replace a spark plug.

LOL. I think the V10 issue is academic as to whether it is a mechanic fault or engine fault. It was very easy to have damage to a spark plug seat, something nobody really expects of an engine. But since it should only need plugs every 100k miles or so, the risk is pretty low if you stay away from shops that want to replace spark plugs or do "tune-ups" all the time.

This spark plug discussion illustrates why a list of issues is of limited value. Most anybody's list would be subject to a lot of debate.  Common problems are something to be aware of, but rarely a show stopper. Especially when the item is "old news", since by the time you learn about it, the problem has usually been corrected. But it's still worth knowing about them so you can verify the problem does not exist, or has already been fixed.

The brake issues with the Chevy 8.1 Vortec (Workhorse W22 Chassis) should have been corrected by a recall in 2010.  Bosch issued the recall and I have paperwork on my coach to prove the brake issues were repaired.  Workhorse used to have a website where you could input your VIN and it would list any recall work done or due.  I no longer have that site info.

link to workhorse http://workhorse.navistar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=106

Gary, there is no such thing as a perfect anything. Don't care if we are talking cars, trucks, MH or cranes, they all have distinguishing problems that are inherent to one certain mfr or another.
If you are buying used you have to know you are going to have to do some repairs that you might miss in the inspection. From what you have found so far it seems you are quite competent doing this and knowledgeable in regards to what you might find.
I would first focus on the floor plan I wanted, then I would narrow the rigs down to a year and budget, then I would do my inspection (with others helping if needed) knowing I might not catch everything but I would sure not miss some of the big expenses.
All you can really do is mitigate your risk by eliminating the big stuff and then feel very good about the savings you are reaping buying used rather than new. Just my 2c, hope you find your rig soon.

A couple of more common motorhome issues are leaking windshields on Winnebagos (and others I think) and bad trailing arms on the Roadmaster R4R and R4RR chassis on Monoco built products from 2002 until 2005. Both costly to remedy.

Mavarick said:
I would first focus on the floor plan I wanted, then I would narrow the rigs down to a year and budget, then I would do my inspection (with others helping if needed) knowing I might not catch everything but I would sure not miss some of the big expenses.
All you can really do is mitigate your risk by eliminating the big stuff and then feel very good about the savings you are reaping buying used rather than new. Just my 2c, hope you find your rig soon.

Mavarick, this is exactly what I'm trying to do.  It's just that I don't know what to look for.  What exactly is the "big stuff" and how do I find it?  As kdbgoat mentioned, trailing arms on Monacos can be expensive.  I don't even know what a trailing arm is.  But if I have a list of things to look for I'll be in a much better position to find the least problematic motorhome.  Two years ago when I brought a Newmar Dutch Star to a Cummins repair facility for a pre-purchase inspection, they found about $4 - 8,000 worth of work.  When I asked them to be more specific, they took a second look.  During the subsequent inspection, they came back and said they missed some front end work.  That was an additional $4,000.  So a great deal on a used Newmar that needed maybe $12,000 in work.  Not such a great deal anymore. 

After that bad experience with Cummins and my inability to find a competent independent mechanic to help with a prepurchase-inspection I'm at a significant disadvantage.  After living in So Cal for the past 35+ years I've come to appreciate the words of wisdom my uncle offered when I first moved to L.A.  Be careful.  There's a lot of scam artists out here.  Anyone can call themselves a mechanic and even when properly licensed, there's no guaranty they really have a clue.  Then, finding a mechanic knowledgeable with the many different motorhome chassis, seems next to impossible.

garyb1st said:
Mavarick, this is exactly what I'm trying to do.  It's just that I don't know what to look for.  What exactly is the "big stuff" and how do I find it?  As kdbgoat mentioned, trailing arms on Monacos can be expensive.  I don't even know what a trailing arm is.  But if I have a list of things to look for I'll be in a much better position to find the least problematic motorhome.  Two years ago when I brought a Newmar Dutch Star to a Cummins repair facility for a pre-purchase inspection, they found about $4 - 8,000 worth of work.  When I asked them to be more specific, they took a second look.  During the subsequent inspection, they came back and said they missed some front end work.  That was an additional $4,000.  So a great deal on a used Newmar that needed maybe $12,000 in work.  Not such a great deal anymore. 

After that bad experience with Cummins and my inability to find a competent independent mechanic to help with a prepurchase-inspection I'm at a significant disadvantage.  After living in So Cal for the past 35+ years I've come to appreciate the words of wisdom my uncle offered when I first moved to L.A.  Be careful.  There's a lot of scam artists out here.  Anyone can call themselves a mechanic and even when properly licensed, there's no guaranty they really have a clue.  Then, finding a mechanic knowledgeable with the many different motorhome chassis, seems next to impossible.
I am wondering what they found that would total $12,000 in work?
Why was this a bad experience with Cummins?
Bill

Sorry.  Memory not serving as it used to.  The initial estimate was for $4,000 or more depending on what they found after opening it up.  They knew the manifold and/or head gasket needed replacing and I believe there was an issue with the turbo. The second time they looked at it, they added about $4,000 for front end work.  That included ball joints and king pins.  The coach needed tires and batteries and the graphics on one side were badly faded.  I estimated $4,000 for those.  I could have bought the motorhome for maybe $5,000 under low NADA.  But at the end of the day, the repairs etc., would have brought my total to more than retail.  Then I missed one item the first time I read the owners log.  There was an entry for engine overheating within the previous few months that was never addressed in spite of the dealers recommendation.  Every thing said walk away from the coach. 

Gary, what I meant by the big stuff was the diesel engine, trans and chassis, no major leaks and all the appliances work. If you find a Winnie DP that you like the floor plan on you can have the rig inspected by a local FL shop and Cat or Cummins. Some oil analysis work and a through chassis inspection will eliminate most of the risk. Maybe 200-300 for the inspections and general condition report. You have already found quite a bit of stuff on past rigs that puts you farther ahead than a lot of folks looking to purchase. You can also test everything inside to make sure everything works. You are not looking at rigs with 100k to 200k miles on them like some OTR rigs. These are MH's that have usually been sitting more than being used. I have looked at and worked on many DP's and most being about 12yrs old and newer, I have never saw one that needed king pins, there are just not enough miles put on them and most are around 50k. I cannot imagine what the repairs were to total $12k on the Dutch star unless it was 20yrs old. I don't' know that I would trust that shop with another inspection if they could not list out exactly what the repairs were either. They need to know your expectations before they get the job also. I know it's tough finding someone to trust for an inspection and I also know there can be some scams out there but I also think this is more common in autos than MH's. If it comes to worst case scenario buy a one year used warranty for major items. I hear they are app $3500 to protect you against a bad eng or trans or such until you get a feel for the rig. I'm not saying be careful I'm just saying you can worry your way out of ever making a purchase too. Hope you can find a comfortable "middle of the road" here.

Back
Top Bottom