kwikee step motor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JKH

My 2004 Monaco Dynasty one step steps Motor for the last couple of year after sitting up will not operate until I get under and BANG it with hammer,  then works until sitting up again for awhile.  Always has worked but sure an end is coming.  Not sure if this is repairable and wondering if anyone else has experienced this.  Next step I assume is new motor which is not too big a deal, but interested in short cuts if any out there. 

The steps stop retracting when they reach the end of their travel and a circuit detects increased current. That circuit then shuts power off to the motor. There's a little gearbox connected to the arm that moves in and out to extend and retract the steps. Inside that gearbox is some grease, and it can dry out and lose its "grease" properties over time. (Ours did) Ours was sticking too, so I removed and disassembled the gearbox, then cleaned it and put new grease in it. It's been working fine ever since.

If you want to try that, be careful, because you have to support the steps when you start disconnecting everything, or you'll get some pinched fingers and a good knock on your coconut when the steps fall. (Trust me) When you remove and disassemble the gearbox, there are some washers that can fall off, so be careful about that too. It's not a difficult DIY job, it's just kind of difficult to get to everything, because it's all tucked up under the entryway. At least our was.

Kev

The commutator on the motor is dirty.

A simple job to clean/resurface if you're a bit handy.

Follow the few steps at this link -->>> http://www.tiffinrvnetwork.com/crusingator/P/P-044.pdf.

You'll be shown how to take precautions, remove the motor, pull the motor housing part, remove the armature assembly, burnish the commutator and slide it all back together.

I had your EXACT symptoms (rap with hammer) - cleaned it up and it's been working great for a year.

I had the tools and fine sandpaper (or fine steel wool) plus CRC spray contact cleaner and lubricant so the job took about 45 minutes, including putting down cardboard, getting the tools out, cleaning me and changing clothes twice.

Oh - you could also buy a new one...

i had to replace the motor unit and the controller the worst part was the 3 hr it took to remove the pin in the arm if i had to do it again i would find a puller to remove the the pin.

Back
Top Bottom