Ladies Learn to Drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am one of the women that does not have a clue on how to drive a big rig.  Would love a class, but none in our area.  We are new to Fifth Wheeling and plan to retire shortly. Our house is on the market and we are ready to go.  I am not familiar with a lot of the jargon on this board.  Definitions please.  Toad, Class A  B, & C.  Where is Moab and what is going on there?  What is a Red Hat tea?  Why the name Blue 101 for the class. Is Blue another name for dumping or depressing jobs.
Thanks
Betty J

I got to thinking about my original post on this thread.  (Seems this happen when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep).  At any rate I have some thoughts.  Although I jumped right in and posted that "Ladies need to learn to Drive"; that really is a one sided-slanted view of how to slove a problem of having the primary driver not able to drive.  It seems there are a lot of other factors involved.  I've listed just a few to promote discussion:

1.)  The husband (or wife in some cases) doesn't want to give up control of the driving; and sometimes can't give it up.  I personally know of 2 men who can't let their wives drive even though the wives want to learn.

2.)  Physcially, the other partner might not be able to drive it as in Wendy's case.

3.)  Sometimes, perhaps some men would like to protect their women by not having them dump-empty holding tanks; prefering to do the dirty jobs themselves instead of subjecting their partners to the event.

There are other choices as in the situation I had with Tim.  We could have stayed in Tucson and got medical help.  We also could have contacted FMCA and had an emergency driver drive us home.  We could have left the motorhome and flew back to SAn Diego going back to get the rig after Tim was better.

So there are other alternatives. 

I just felt I came on strong with saying that "Ladies need to learn to Drive".  Sometimes that is not case and that choice is not available.  Just because I chose to be able to handle things; doesn't mean everyone else needs to do the same.

Tom, I have a thought.  If Jerry and Audra are coming to Moab; perhaps Jerry might be interested in giving a little talk about driving a big rig....Nothing big or elaborate just some hints.........Jerry?

Marsha~

bjohn said:
I am one of the women that does not have a clue on how to drive a big rig.? Would love a class, but none in our area.? We are new to Fifth Wheeling and plan to retire shortly. Our house is on the market and we are ready to go.? ?I am not familiar with a lot of the jargon on this board.? Definitions please.? Toad, Class A? B, & C.? Where is Moab and what is going on there?? What is a Red Hat tea?? Why the name Blue 101 for the class. Is Blue another name for dumping or depressing jobs.
Thanks
Betty J

Moab is a ilddle town in south east Utah step smack dab in the middle some of the most drop dead gorgeous scenery in the entire USA:? Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park are neighbors to Moab.? ? The RVForum is having a rally there April 28 to May 7 or there abouts.? ?A rally is a whole bunch of people in RVs camping together and socializing.? You can find more details by following the Moab Rally discussions in the Rallies Section of the forum.

Red Hats is some strange movement started amongst wimmin of a certain age involving the wearing of red hats, purple dresses and social events.? ?To my personal shock, I find that this subversive organization, which has penetrated my household has national, even international ramifications.? Go to http://www.redhatsociety.com/ by clicking on the underlined portion.

I don't know anything about Blue 101 classes.  Most couples on the RV road divide up the chores.  Cindy and I seem to have lined things up so I do the outside stuff:  hitching and unhitching, jacks, tank dumping, electrical and tv cables, trailer and truck maintenance, and barbecuing.    Cindy does the inside stuff sweeping, cleaning, bed making, etc..  We both cook.  The dog Happy hides under the table mostly.......but then what are you going to do when you are by far the smallest thing living in 180 square feet of space.  ;D

MarshaLassen/CA said:
I just felt I came on strong with saying that "Ladies need to learn to Drive".

We knew what you meant Marsha  ;D

perhaps Jerry might be interested in giving a little talk about driving a big rig.

Sounds like a great idea and I'm sure he'd do a fine job, but be sure to pack your lunch. Jerry doesn't believe in "a little talk"  ;D

Betty J,

Here are a couple of pic's of members of that subversive group that Carl was talking about. In the pictures, note that there are men standing around the perimeter. That is not to protect them (Lord knows, anyone who has learned to spit can protect themselves), but to keep them somewhat constrained to prevent undue trauma to the local fauna population - coyoyes, etc.

Attachments

• RH1.jpg
    RH1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 33
  • RH2.jpg
    RH2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 32
bjohn said:
Why the name Blue 101 for the class. Is Blue another name for dumping or depressing jobs. Betty J

Betty,
In dividing the labor  of our life, the jobs I do are labeled PINK and the jobs my husband does are labeled BLUE.  If I ask him to do something he feels in within my domain he says, No it is a pink job."  The division is arbitrary.  We decided over time what we each do.  It would vary by couple.  He does the gray water and black water tanks.  I do cooking and dishes and as little else as I can get by with. 
Betty B.

Sounds like everyone has a lot of fun.  We may not make the Moab Rally, but I am sure we will show up at another in the near future.  We are in phase II of our retirement plan.  Phase I was buy the fifth wheel.  Phase II is sell the home.  Phase III is retire.  We are so ready for this retirement.  Will enjoy meeting you all.
When we meet please don't let my husband know there are pink and blue jobs.  ::)

bettyj

the jobs I do are labeled PINK and the jobs my husband does are labeled BLUE.

Betty,

I am sure glad about that.  I don't know if I am ready to turn you loose on my roof with an electric drill. ;D

Jim Johnson said:
? I don't know if I am ready to turn you loose on my roof with an electric drill.

Jim,
You see you do get it, drilling holes on a roof is a blue job. I don't do blue jobs.

Betty

Marsha

>>So there are other alternatives. <<

One other...& the one we would use is to, leave the motorhome, unhook the toad, & drive it to the hospital, home etc. Come back later & retrieve the motorhome.

[br]Date Posted: April 07, 2006, 08:07:25 PMHave you noticed the women have delegated all the difficult jobs to us:

1. Purchasing all necessary electronics for coach.
  2. Installing all necessary antenae on roof.
  3. Deciding which accessories are necessary for safe operation of motorhome.
  4. Operating same.

But their wish is our command.

;D ;D ;D

Jeff,

They learned how to do that in a special "delegation" class at school.

bjohn said:
Sounds like everyone has a lot of fun.  We may not make the Moab Rally, but I am sure we will show up at another in the near future.  We are in phase II of our retirement plan.  Phase I was buy the fifth wheel.  Phase II is sell the home.  Phase III is retire.  We are so ready for this retirement.  Will enjoy meeting you all.
When we meet please don't let my husband know there are pink and blue jobs.  ::)

bettyj

Hi Bettyj,

You will certainly enjoy your new found freedom. The problem with retirement is there aren't enough hours in the day to do all that you want to accomplish. Over time you will learn how to manage the few hours that are available. :)

Jim Dick said:
The problem with retirement is there aren't enough hours in the day to do all that you want to accomplish.

That's not unique to retirement, of course. We all know nature abhors a vacuum, and that applies to time as well as space. Or, as I like to say...

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I'm so far behind, I may never die. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hofty
Back
Top Bottom