Language meanings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When my little brother was about 4 years old, his term for "inside out", like his shirt was inside out, was to say it was "wrong outside out".  Works for me.

I think it depends a lot on the region, and also on the age of the person.
I know what it is, and have lived in TX and GA for the last 30 years, but I bet my kids would have little or no idea.
And young kids in GA would mostly be clueless, unless native Georgians with contact with grandparents.
Most people under 25 probably have no idea of the meaning of this.

You're right about region and age.  When we first moved to Maine the neighbor girls would say "so don't I" when agreeing with you.  It really hurt my mid-western ears, and "nearly drove me up the wall" - my regional version of crazy.  :p ;)

Daisy

Navy types,  Don't forget;  Airdale, Blackshoe, Skivie waver, Skivies, deck apes and ninety yards of chow line.

mypursuit said:
      Navy types,  Don't forget;  Airdale, Blackshoe, Skivie waver, Skivies, deck apes and ninety yards of chow line.
Don't forget "liberty card" and "liberty launch", a couple of my favorites. :)  And the infamous "vomit comet" at Subic Bay.  Then there is a couple of my least favorites - "duty section" and "shore patrol".  :(

Hmmmmm....
Military..leseee.....
"Shortimer"......As in I'm so short that I don't have time to stand in the chow line (a reference to time left in hitch)
For us ex navy guys........"bugjuice"  the stuff we used to drink when the fresh milk ran out (as an alternative to the frozen milk)  after a long time at sea

"Frozen milk"???  We had canned milk.  Some canned towards the end of WWII.  It was more brown than white.  Wasn't too bad on cornflakes or oatmeal, but couldn't be tolerated to drink from a glass.  If lucky, we would get "reconstituted" milk when we pulled into Yokuska or Subic.  It was basically powdered milk that was batch re-hydrated and came in special cardboard boxes with a plastic tube for dispensing from the milk machine.  But, we usually ran out within a couple of weeks.

Can't say we ever got frozen milk.

Now, bug juice we did get.  For those not in the know, it was named that for its vivid green color - like what oozed out of some bugs when stepped on.

"Shortimer" - anyone remember the "shortimer's chain"?  A length of paper clips with a paper clip for each remaining day until a special event - usually when the sailor's hitch (enlistment) was up.  A clip was removed each day until all were gone and so was the sailor.

Off the military track a bit.
When I woke up the morning after an accident I was all stove-up. Meaning stiff and sore.
If someone was acting the fool we'd call him a smacked a$$.
Are these just South Jerseyizims?

mike from st pete said:
Off the military track a bit.
When I woke up the morning after an accident I was all stove-up. Meaning stiff and sore.
If someone was acting the fool we'd call him a smacked a$$.
Are these just South Jerseyizims?

Depends on which "exit" 'yer callin South Jersey. ;)

codgerbill said:
Hmmmmm....
Military..leseee.....
"Shortimer"......As in I'm so short that I don't have time to stand in the chow line (a reference to time left in hitch)
For us ex navy guys........"bugjuice"  the stuff we used to drink when the fresh milk ran out (as an alternative to the frozen milk)  after a long time at sea

Ah, "shorttimer"....a wonderful word. No matter how much you enjoyed being in the military, being a shorttimer was the best.

As for "bugjuice," that's what we always called soy sauce. Don't ask e why  :-\

Wendy
Lake Havasu City, The Steps

Wendy said:
As for "bugjuice," that's what we always called soy sauce. Don't ask e why  :-\ 

That's what my folks always called the soy sauce on the table at the Chinese restaurant in Coalinga growing up.  It was a real treat to "eat out" during childhood, but looking back with an adult perception of cleanliness standards, it's a wonder we all survived!  ::)

Margi

Speaking of soy Sauce.  While eating dinner at work one night a coworker asked me to pass the Where's Your Sister Sauce.  He was pointing at the Worcestershire Sauce!

Tom and Margi said:
That's what my folks always called the soy sauce on the table at the Chinese restaurant in Coalinga growing up.  It was a real treat to "eat out" during childhood, but looking back with an adult perception of cleanliness standards, it's a wonder we all survived!  ::)

Margi

Glad I'm not the only one using "bug juice" - maybe it's a California thing? Although my grandparents, who lived in Hawaii, also called it but juice.

As for surviving despite the "cleanliness" of those days, I think we survived BECAUSE of the cleanliness, or lack thereof, of those days. We built up immunities that clean freaks no longer have.

Life Is Good
Wendy
The Steps, Lake Havasu City

Wendy said:
As for surviving despite the "cleanliness" of those days, I think we survived BECAUSE of the cleanliness, or lack thereof, of those days. We built up immunities that clean freaks no longer have.
I think you're right, Wendy.  I remember a few years back there was a participant on the forum who was a microbiologist.  Her husband was an ER doctor.  She issued a warning (or recommended a constraint) against all the, then, popular antibacterial hand cleansers.  Her point, and I'm not stating it as well as she did, was that immunity to prevalent germs was a good thing to build.  She felt that over using the pocket cleansers was detrimental to building that necessary immunity.

But that Chinese restaurant in Coalinga back in the day .... my, oh, my!  ::)

Margi

As I remember it.....

Back in the days..............
We didn't know what Salmonala was and didn't seem to have a problem with it anyway.... Mom use to make great fried chicken (other chicken stuff too) and never wore rubber gloves or used several different utensils to prepare the chicken or sprayed the counter either.  :eek: Were we just fat, dumb, and happy?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom