Leaky slide hydraulics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afchap

When departing the son's house after Christmas I noticed a couple of dark spots on concrete drive under the large lounge slide. Looking underneath I could see a bit of darkness on two braces, one about midway and one at the rear of the slide. Back in the RV park I was able to see a bit of fluid on top of the slide about midway, but no other leak indications.  With slides in and jacks up I checked the fluid level and it was pretty good. A week later when leaving for home I again saw slight dark spots on the asphalt in the same locations, but it had been and was still bitter cold so I was not going underneath unless I had to!  After we got it back home and under cover on the slab the weather warmed up a bit. I put the slide out to improve visibility, and slid underneath and into the void where the slide is when stowed. I found a slightly leaky connection at the midway point, and tightened it up a bit. There was a small puddle of fluid under the reservoir, and after some physical gyrations I was able to see drips on the bottom of a connection there, but no matter how I tried there was not room to get a wrench on the fitting. After stowing the slide I checked the fluid and added apx 1 qt to get it back to the right level. We have used the coach once since, and there has not been any more dripping even from the fitting I was unable to tighten. The weather has been warmer, and I can understand the being very cold could help it to leak more, but I can't imagine it healed itself. Is there a special wrench to tighten fittings in very tight spaces? I used an open end wrench on the other one, but cannot get an open end into the tiny space between the reservoir and the wall where the fittings are.

I don't know if I mentioned on this forum before or not, but our 2004 Journey sprung a hydraulic leak in the rear slide last summer.  It sufficiently soaked our coiled AC cable, to the point that I cleaned it up, then replaced it in the compartment below the closet slide in the bay there after wrapping it in a black plastic garbage bag (to hopefully decrease the damage to the rubber insulating tube around the AC cable)  In October we took a short (5 day) trip to Moscow, IA where the capable mechanics at HWH replaced the slide activator (name not known to me) and then replaced the right rear leveler, which had also decided to not retract without the aid of a 2" x 6" x 4' board lever.  All told cost was around $800 plus travel expenses.  I don't know if there is anyone local (anywhere) who have the experience or efficiency to repair HWH hydraulic systems.  As an added bonus, we were able to explore the town of Muscatane (??)  on the river.  There is a nice Walmart there also.

As for the leak, I have checked the bay periodically and find that there is no longer any substantial leakage.  Perhaps a few drops, but not the cupfuls of fluid experienced earlier.  Good Luck es 73's SK

There is a crow foot wrench (ratchet socket) see link. http://www.diseno-art.com/images_3/crowfoot_wrench.jpg
You would need a ratchet to drive it, but would have many angles to get the socket onto the fitting.  Be cautious not to overtighten. 

Crow foot wrench is a very good idea, I bought a couple of sets a few years ago.  I had a couple of fittings leak on top of the reservoir and they just needed tightening.  Apparently vibration and heat/cold cycles over a few years can cause the fittings to loosen up.

Bitter cold will definitely make things leak. An aged seal can shatter when put to use. Don't forget how sluggish cold oil is. It won't flow very well and that includes pressure bypass valves. Pressures can get higher than normal, and cold shrunk brittle seals and gaskets can mark their spot on cold start-up. This applies to hydraulics, engines and transmissions. When it's bitter cold best to idle a bit till oil warms up. Not much you can do with slides or levelers as I expect the pump only works on demand. Just add it to the things you need to eyeball and put a wrench to in the cold.

Motorhomes are like steam locomotives, you have to look 'em over before every driving day and you should take a look around when ever you stop for a break. It's the law for CDL drivers to turn in a daily inspection report.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom