LED upgrades

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UPDATE: I just noticed that the LED strips in just one of my upgraded overhead lights have gone bad.  This is the ThinLite fixture in the bathroom aisle with 4 18" strips of LEDs.  Don't know what happened to cause this--all of the other lights seem fine.  The light is actually on in the picture, and all of the LEDs are apparently lit, at least dimly, but all except one or two are almost completely hidden by discoloration of the overlaying plastic layer.  Fortunately I had just enough of the LED strip left from my original install to replace these--we'll see if the problem re-occurs.

Attachments

• LEDs gone bad.jpg
    LEDs gone bad.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 27
John Canfield said:
:( :( :eek:

Sounds like maybe whatever drives the LEDs failed - are your strips using a regulator?

Originally I had boost/buck regulators on all of the lights (except the two large overheads in the main cabin), but I removed them because a number of them failed.  All of the LED strips are connected directly to the house 12V system.

The waterproof coating layer definitely seems discolored and the LED strip is very stiff and inflexible.  I haven't been aware of it running hot, but they are unregulated and therefore see the charging voltage from the inverter/charger.

I just remembered that this particular light may have been left on inadvertently for several days recently which may have caused the problem.  All of the other lights tend to be on for a maximum of five or six hours at a time.

That sure looks like it's being overdriven. Have you looked at the regulator output yet?

Well then..... I know,of a nice one on eBay....  :eek:
The problem is that you need LED's that can run rated output at ~10v in order to make that regulator work @12. I haven't looked in awhile, but really what's needed is a (cheap) buck/ boost DC-DC converter that can maintain rated voltage even if the input falls below that. When I was finishing LEDZILLA I figured that out and rewired it to run at full rated output at ~10v, and held it there with that eBay regulator above. The coach might be stone dead, but I can septillion see the BBQ..

Maybe a big one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/350287002385

Well, if you go back to the beginning of the thread you'll see that I initially installed them with a buck-boost regulator, but ultimately removed them because several of them died on me.  :(

Knock on wood, I've got 2 of those in operation and they are doing fine. When I get around to doing what you did I wanted to run a common regulator for all of them, but that's not a good user report...  :(

Back
Top Bottom