Let's hear the quirky things about fulltime living!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Djfan

One of the funny things we have here is that no matter what we have tried otherwise, we have to hide the smoke alarm when we make toast and some other things. No amount of windows open, planning, etc., prevents that sucker from going off while toasting.

Let's hear your odd, quirky, or funny stories!

Critters! Not only are there little cracks with slides, but my underneath storage is not 100% critter-proof. In Florida, I have had those tiny lizards come in, in Florida I also had a raccoon move into a storage bin when I left the door unlatched, and more recently, I accidentally leaned on the armrest as I was getting into my rig while setting up, and had a tiny tree frog move in through the open window.

I got rid of my toaster, by the way, and make toast on my griddle.

Not full timing, but at a campground a few years ago, we'd woke up in the morning, all the window blinds were closed except one was opened about a foot high.

We were butt naked walking around the camper. The window was a slide window (on the side), little window.

A few minutes later we had a knock on the door with a very irate fellow camper. HE reminded us we needed to keep our window blinds pulled completely as he could see in.

So, after he left, I went outside, walked around the back of the trailer. My wife stood in the living room. We were on cell phones with each other. I asked her move around. I couldn't see her from any distance at all. Actually, couldn't see inside the trailer at all, it was dark inside and light outside.

So, I got closer. It wasn't until I actually got up to the window and covered made a shade with my hands, almost right up against the window that I could actually see inside the camper.

To this day, we still wonder what that guy was doing?

I don't know if they are available in the US, but we replaced the smoke detector in our unit with one specifically designed to not get triggered by toast, and it works!
Brought it out from the UK.

One of the funny things we have here is that no matter what we have tried otherwise, we have to hide the smoke alarm when we make toast and some other things. No amount of windows open, planning, etc., prevents that sucker from going off while toasting.

We relocated the original smoke detector a few feet further down the bedroom hallway, and added a second detector closer to the front of our motorhome. We also turn on the vent hood fan when toasting or cooking anything that might be smokey. No more false alarms...

To this day, we still wonder what that guy was doing?

I can tell you what he wasn't doing, minding his own business.

Since I'm still a rookie I'm still reading a lot of RV life content. One particular article was campground etiquette and one of the "unwritten rules" was to avoid knocking on people's doors. The reasoning was that the door opens right into their living space exposing most everything, rather, wait until you see them outside to engage; barring emergencies of course.

I’m sure it’s due to our home and offices and our climate (at least average temp) don’t really change much… even our clothing is usually shorts/summer attire. But we easily lose track of what part of the country we’re located. Also lose track of current time of year (season). Neither for very long… but have to stop for a moment and reorient ourself.
When I first noticed this, I thought it was just my mind/memory; then Laura told me she was having same experience.

Last edited:

I thought that was my wife's oven timer...

DW always waits to open the curtains in the front of the coach until after I'm awake......... and dressed.

I can tell you what he wasn't doing, minding his own business.

Since I'm still a rookie I'm still reading a lot of RV life content. One particular article was campground etiquette and one of the "unwritten rules" was to avoid knocking on people's doors. The reasoning was that the door opens right into their living space exposing most everything, rather, wait until you see them outside to engage; barring emergencies of course.

Thank her from the rest of us.
You're just like our dam*ed next door neighbors now that we have a S&B when we trim our hedges!

{Yes, answered in fun - DW just walked in... I'll thank her for you.}{She laughed!}

We were butt naked walking around the camper.
We were tent camping in Louisiana back in the mid 70’s. Had a white gas lantern hung in the center of the tent. Wife and I got a little frisky and later I went out to pee. Came bake in the tent and told her we would have to extinguish the lantern; with it on we were in perfect silhouette for anybody walking near our tent.
We were parked at the Travis AFB FamCamp (near San Francisco). We came back from a day in SF and found the interior of our 5th wheel covered in ants. Had to go to the store and get several insect bombs. We set them off and went to the bowling alley on base and finished off a couple of pitchers of beer. Spent the rest of the evening vacuuming up dead ants.

I don't know if they are available in the US, but we replaced the smoke detector in our unit with one specifically designed to not get triggered by toast, and it works!
Brought it out from the UK.
Which brand/model? They're available here, using optical smoke detection rather than ionization. I suspect the ionization sensors can also be tuned differently. Haven't researched other options, and it's been 40+ years since I worked with/supplied components to that industry. (EI - a GE Housewares division - made them by the boatload in Shannon, IE and shipped them to the US).

Back then, in the UK we couldn't understand why there was such a big market for them in the US. Few UK houses were built of wood, but I enjoyed my trips to Shannon and a few pints at Durty Nelly's in Limerick..

Ours is by Fire Angel, optical type, permanent Lithium battery for 10 year use, we pay £10 ($12.30)
from a nationwide chain called Screwfix.

I know that in La Grande the Northwood Desert Fox is made in the Oregon Mountains. I've been through there in winter conditions. Snow and mud clings to cold metal stairs as ice when it's subzero Fahrenheit Wyoming temperatures. The toy hauler trailer has been used for full time living between Oregon and Virginia. I've towed it from Laramie to Portland and back. Nothing is cleaner than folding up the outside stairs into a heated toy hauler thus making an icy mess of the entire interior floor.

image_1599603117988.jpeg

We don't have smoke detectors - they're Toast Ready Detectors. 😁

Every now and then our propane detector goes off and we don't know why. We don't have a dog so I blame Steve. 🤣
I honestly hope you are just joking. The thought of not have smoke detectors in your camper is blood chilling to me. Campers go up fast! A smoke detector outside the bedroom may be the only thing that prevents a horrible outcome. I’m a firefighter and have fought camper fires and they are no joke.

I honestly hope you are just joking. The thought of not have smoke detectors in your camper is blood chilling to me. Campers go up fast! A smoke detector outside the bedroom may be the only thing that prevents a horrible outcome. I’m a firefighter and have fought camper fires and they are no joke.
They have them. They just refer to them as something funnier.

Back
Top Bottom