Let's hear the quirky things about fulltime living!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your home must be=bigger than mine. I had no luck with that.
37' long, 8' wide with one slide in the living area. Occasionally the range hood fan won't be enough. For those times, there's a Fantastic roof vent fan in the ceiling right above the stove. I'd say Fleetwood knew what they were about when they placed it there.
The smoke detector was an add-on actually. I replaced the expired CO detector and bought one that came with a smoke detector for free. My RV originally only came with a propane detector and the CO detector in the stateroom area.

We use the smoke alarm as our timer, when it goes off, the meal is ready :)
My meat gets cooked as nature intended...outside over fire. Unless I'm doing stir fry, or pasta or something like that. I've been know to light the grille during a snowstorm.

My meat gets cooked as nature intended...outside over fire. Unless I'm doing stir fry, or pasta or something like that. I've been know to light the grille during a snowstorm.
We do that when we can. We had 4" of snow here in No. Wyoming yesterday. It didn't happen much in the last few months.

I have to add one fun thing about driving or pulling a big vehicle: other drivers cannot always see what is happening in front of you and make erroneous assumptions:

For example, I was driving in bumper to bumper, stop and go, traffic in a southern city a few years ago. I was in the right lane and was making my way very slowly over a highway bridge of some sort. There were some irritated drivers behind me who were convinced that my big rig was a cause of the slow traffic. The one in the lead kept blinking his lights at me to make me get out of his way.

So, three cars decided to pass me on the shoulder so they could get to the nearby exit faster. What they DID NOT know was that directly in front of my vehicle was a police car. Imagine their surprise and my glee as the cop car turned on its flashing lights and caught all three of them at once!! Yea!!

Another time, I was stopped on a divided highway in a construction zone because a flagman was letting a piece of construction equipment back up. An irritated driver who did not know why I was stopped started to pass me, causing the flagman to go nuts, chasing him down and waving his flag at them. Cop car nearby stopped and ticketed them.

I got snowed in for 10 days without electricity. Other than that, nothing interesting for me while full-timing.

37' long, 8' wide with one slide in the living area. Occasionally the range hood fan won't be enough. For those times, there's a Fantastic roof vent fan in the ceiling right above the stove. I'd say Fleetwood knew what they were about when they placed it there.
The smoke detector was an add-on actually. I replaced the expired CO detector and bought one that came with a smoke detector for free. My RV originally only came with a propane detector and the CO detector in the stateroom area.
Is the propane detector still in place?

Is the propane detector still in place?
Yup, replaced with a new one last year.
You made me go check the dates on the smoke and CO detectors. Despite the fact that they came in the same package, they were manufactured almost 2 years apart. I'll be picking up a new set next time I'm near a big box store. The smoke detector has an Jan. 2015 date on it while the CO detector has a Dec. of 2016 date on it. I bought them mid-2017. The smoke detector hasn't started telling me it's dead yet, but that time is probably not far away.

Yup, replaced with a new one last year.
You made me go check the dates on the smoke and CO detectors. Despite the fact that they came in the same package, they were manufactured almost 2 years apart. I'll be picking up a new set next time I'm near a big box store. The smoke detector has an Jan. 2015 date on it while the CO detector has a Dec. of 2016 date on it. I bought them mid-2017. The smoke detector hasn't started telling me it's dead yet, but that time is probably not far away.

And there is nothing like a smoke detector deciding to tell you it is going dead while you are driving through traffic with no place to pull over!! Mine is right behind my driver's seat and was screeching at me! It took a few minutes before I found a side street to turn into so I could yank it down and turn it off!!

I think that for us the biggest issue was convincing or relatives that we were not crazy or bankrupt!
Our twin daughters understood what we wanted to do and why, and have always been very encouraging that we live our lives on our terms. They each have their own RV's, and while they can't fulltime due to work commitments, they do understand and support our lifestyle. We do have friends that think we're completely nuts though, while others admit to being jealous.

I think that for us the biggest issue was convincing or relatives that we were not crazy or bankrupt!
Half of my friends thought I was crazy and the other half were jealous!

And both my sons were seriously opposed to my getting a motorhome, not that I asked their opinion. One son in Ohio said I would die in a firey crash 200 miles down the freeway. I told him I could sit in my recliner in front of the TV for 20 years and die there, or take a chance and see the country. He finally did admit a couple of years ago that I had not run into anything, and my rig looked pretty good for a lot of traveling.

My older son who lives in California still wants me to settle down in a nice apartment somewhere. He keeps reminding me that I should stay longer in one place and not do so much driving. Mostly, I ignore him.

Half of my friends thought I was crazy and the other half were jealous!

And both my sons were seriously opposed to my getting a motorhome, not that I asked their opinion. One son in Ohio said I would die in a firey crash 200 miles down the freeway. I told him I could sit in my recliner in front of the TV for 20 years and die there, or take a chance and see the country. He finally did admit a couple of years ago that I had not run into anything, and my rig looked pretty good for a lot of traveling.

My older son who lives in California still wants me to settle down in a nice apartment somewhere. He keeps reminding me that I should stay longer in one place and not do so much driving. Mostly, I ignore him.
After my wife died my kids started in on the same thing. I pointed out that if we hadn't sold the house and moved into the coach I'd be stuck on 9 acres of woods, a mile down a dirt road off the pavement 17 miles from town living solely on SS. They could all agree that that was probably not the best thing.
I decided to keep my campground manager job so I would have an income and something to occupy my mind. I now have it set up in such a way now that in the summer I'm close enough to 2 of the kids that we can visit each other and I spend most winters in close proximity to 2 more of the boys so we can see each other.
The 2 boys in Arkansas each want to set up an RV spot in their back yards so I can park there. I prefer to stay in COE parks, several of which are located roughly halfway between their houses in Arkansas.

One of the major reasons for getting a motorhome or RV is so you can visit your kids and other relatives without actually staying with them!! The backyard thing would maybe work, but I also would prefer to stay in a COE park. I love visiting people and then being able to go home to my little private place when I am tired of socializing. And, I am sure some of the people I visit are happier with my going home as well!!

That way you don't have to listen to a lot of advice and get involved with family things you don't want to be involved in! Makes for much better visits.

One of the major reasons for getting a motorhome or RV is so you can visit your kids and other relatives without actually staying with them!! The backyard thing would maybe work, but I also would prefer to stay in a COE park. I love visiting people and then being able to go home to my little private place when I am tired of socializing. And, I am sure some of the people I visit are happier with my going home as well!!

That way you don't have to listen to a lot of advice and get involved with family things you don't want to be involved in! Makes for much better visits.
It was nice to have the back yard as a refuge a couple of weeks ago when I got evacuated from the COE park I was in. We had like 2 days of steady rain and the Arkansas river came up around 10 feet in it's banks overnight. The next morning the rangers came around and said we had to go.
I stayed in the kid's yard for my remaining week in Arkansas, and that was enough to convince me that the COE parks are the place to stay. The back yard is just too close.

It was nice to have the back yard as a refuge a couple of weeks ago when I got evacuated from the COE park I was in. We had like 2 days of steady rain and the Arkansas river came up around 10 feet in it's banks overnight. The next morning the rangers came around and said we had to go.
I stayed in the kid's yard for my remaining week in Arkansas, and that was enough to convince me that the COE parks are the place to stay. The back yard is just too close.
Do they allow you to stay indefinitely? I saw several at a COE park on the Red River that looked as if they'd been there some time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom