Linux OS Conversation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mopar1973Man said:
What version of VirtualBox are you running (4.3.10)?

Did you try the latest extension pack of VirtualBox?

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Yes and yes.  I'm not too concerned as 1024x768 is large enough for my needs, but I will figure it out eventually.  I didn't have the problem with VMWare and other OSes get access to all of the available resolutions.

It might be all the generic driver can do with VirtualBox setup. Still not like to give up on it but not having a Win OS as a base to test from I really couldn't tell you much more. The only thing I could suggest is boot the Live CD and play that way if you need more room but I will admit its slow working from CD/DVD.

I've been using VirtualBox for quite some time.  I used to be able to run in a complete full screen on this laptop, a couple of updates ago... now not.  Frankly I'm not sure if it's from the Ubuntu compile or the VB update or both together.  I attempted to resolve, however quickly just gave it up, really not a big deal considering I use it just for the scanner and the resolution is fine for that.

New Toy...

A friend of mine just picked up a Bluetooth dongle and got it setup with both our laptops so we can now change ring tones with the MP3 we already have. Then like for me I can down download the pictures I've taking with my phone. What's so cool about this little toy I never had to take the manual out nor the driver disk. It was truly a plug N' play device Ubuntu Linux was ready instantly with the Bluetooth Dongle. Just search, pair, and transfer works awesome.

Solved my problem, which turned out to be a non-problem.  In VMWare, the Tools add the supported resolutions to the guest OS settings.  In VirtualBox, this doesn't happen for Linux guests (at least Debian and Ubuntu derivatives) but do support resizing the guest display to any size.  Or go to full screen and some higher resolution screen sizes show up in the Display settings.  I like the VB method even better than the VMWare way.

Glad to hear you got it fixed up and working.  8)

Here is another tidbit I'm playing with. Well a friend of mine pick up a bluetooth dongle for his Linux laptop and we played with a bit last night. The funny part is I found a way to get his LG G2 to hook to the laptop fully over WiFi so he no longer really needs the bluetooth dongle. So he gave to me. So here I am I got it set up on my Laptop without any drivers totally plug N play ready on Linux. Then Linux has a nice App call Wammu. I really can't use the Wammu app but I figure I list it anyways. But Just for pulling pictures off my phone and change ringtones is awesome being I can upload full MP3 songs and use my phone like a MP3 player now. I'm really limited on memory (128 MB) on the phone so now I'm selectively taking each MP3 and compressing even tighter to 128 kbits to save on memory. The program I'm using is Sound Converter.

Ned said:
Solved my problem, which turned out to be a non-problem.  In VMWare, the Tools add the supported resolutions to the guest OS settings.  In VirtualBox, this doesn't happen for Linux guests (at least Debian and Ubuntu derivatives) but do support resizing the guest display to any size.  Or go to full screen and some higher resolution screen sizes show up in the Display settings.  I like the VB method even better than the VMWare way.

Happy to hear resolve.  How absolutely strange.... just now after reading your post, I opened VB and hit the Ctrl-F and for some really strange reason... it worked this time.  I have no idea....  I think maybe a recent update to the Ubuntu solved without even knowing.  At any-rate, all is well again.

You don't have to go to full screen.  Just resize the window like any other window in Windows (that's a mouthful)  and the guest will adjust its resolution to the new window size.

For those that would like to run a Linux server without having to learn all the arcane shell commands, there is a product called Webmin that lets you administer a Linux server from a browser.  Although a server admin should know how to run it from the command line, Webmin makes it much easier to do the day to day maintenance without reading through screens full of man pages.

Ned said:
For those that would like to run a Linux server without having to learn all the arcane shell commands, there is a product called Webmin that lets you administer a Linux server from a browser.  Although a server admin should know how to run it from the command line, Webmin makes it much easier to do the day to day maintenance without reading through screens full of man pages.

Absolutely! I'm also running Webmin as well. Very good program that allows to you administrate all your computers within your network or even outside your network say like a friend's computer. But still this is a band-aid for the moment and you should still learn the commands of the Terminal. Because when Linux typically failure to boot you still can get terminal and about 99% of the time you can fix what every is wrong without reloading the system like Microsoft products. Like if you try a new video driver and it crashes the X-Server (graphical desktop) then you be able to read the logs see what failed and fix it but un-installing or re-installing the damaged software or maybe just changing the configuration. So yes Webmin is a wonderful tool to make you job of configuring your Linux the way you want, but the skills of using the Terminal are invaluable.

Just a few common commands which can be done through Synaptic package manager.

Installing a kruler
sudo apt-get install kruler

Completely uninstall kruler
sudo apt-get purge kruler

Check for updates and install them
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc