Looking at 2003 Country Coach Magna at DeMartini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pierat

Hi, Framily! We have sold our house, stored some stuff, and presently have been in Grass Valley a couple of days looking at an '03 CC Magna, 2 slides, 42', 505 Cat, Allison transmission, two-stage jake brake, lots of electronic goodies (if they work), TracVision Dish TV dome, corian counters, gorgeous walnut cabinets, etc etc. We may need to decide Monday morning. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Apparently Bank of America repossessed this coach from a failed Indiana dealership, and DeMartini RV helped with moving some of the coaches including this one to CA. It appears to be in good shape, just under 19,000 miles, with about 585 generator hours. It has been here a couple of months. Tim DeMartini and his crew have treated us very well and put is up in the park house on site. The Bank, however, has a bottom line price that is maybe 84% of low book.

The coach has been backed into something like a tall post, with repaired fiberglass damage a couple inches wide in the lower rear to the right of center, and some scuffs and a couple of small chips on the paint higher up. The bus-style bay doors appear a bit loose in operation. The two external steps are a little high (and squeak when you step on them!).

This coach does not have the raised ceiling of newer ones, although we aren't especially tall so it is more of a guests and resale issue for us. There is a lexan shield in front with a couple of missing supports, and it has to be loosened or removed to move the generator out. The generator has had some trouble starting but seems to work, although apparently it has air in thelines that requires a lot of priming. There is lots of storage and cabinets are in decent shape. The microwave/convection oven looks pretty tired.

I drove the coach (an exciting first for diesel for me) and felt it was very soft, a bit bouncy I guess on slightly rough freeway pavement. Steering is a breeze.

MW likes it but feels a bit overwhelmed with the size and complexity of the coach and starting our fulltiming life. John's a little more settled but it is a very large coach with a very lot to learn. So I guess we're asking about info on the coach itself as well as starting the lifestyle "several rungs up the scale" in terms of available Class As (as one salesman put it).  We expect to have RV Driving School lessons later this week if we buy it.

Gosh, that's a lot. Thanks for reading and we look forward to any comments or suggestions. Best to you all. - John

Phew! Tough decision, John.  I was all excited for you until you started to list the problems you have already noticed (and there will be more if you get "intimate" with it later).  A rough starting generator doesn't get better and they can be VERY expensive to repair. Likewise for body damage. Any chance you can negotiate these repairs into the price?  The Bank should agree that everything ought to be in working condition and the generator clearly is not. Or if they want to sell "as is", is 84% of book an ok discount?

Get a good estimate on that body repair work before you sign too. It could be a shocker.

An 03 is coming up on tire replacement too - or maybe is already there. Check the tire date codes - it is common for an 03 to come with tires dated in early-mid 2002, which means a lot of tire expense right around the corner.

By the way, that dealership in Indianan that folded was probably DeMartini's Waukarusa, IN store, which was right next to the Monaco plant. They closed when Monaco shut the plant down.

If you need to get an estimate &/or get the fiberglass work done, there's a good fiberglass guy in Grass Valley (recommended to me by Kevin, DeMartini's service manager). It's Ed Sparhawk, and here's his contact info.

In any event, I'd let Tim know you need the fiberglass damage fixed and the generator issue corrected as part of any deal.

John and MW,

A couple of observations from a non technical person.... Those external steps my be high due to the unlevel position of coach.  If we need to  raise the front end to get us level then I have a  nifty  third step that is portable and I use that  for entry and exit when camping.  Sometimes you get lucky and can lower the front to level in which case you don't need the step.  Our steps squeaked at times as they came in and out but a bit of lubricant solved that.  So much depends on the amount of sand and dirt one has just encountered on a given road or rain. 

I  noticed when test driving  empty Magnas that it was a bit bouncy, compared to my fully loaded rig (lots of canned good , clothing, water, shoes, computer gear, fishing gear, crafts, books, solar panels, computer desk, etc, etc ) It could be when your rig is  fully loaded the ride will not be so bouncy.

Something I always did in the purchase of a new rig was to sit in it  alone.  No salesman.  I visualized preparing a meal.  Where would I store things.  I visualized my setting a table or any of the things one might do in the rig.  I  got in my TV watching position.  In the silence of my own company I came to best conclusions of the "livibality" factors and whether or not I could see myself  there.

You will need tires eventually so I don't think it's a big deal  to factor new tires into the cost of a rig.( This from me who gulps big time with that purchase) And you will learn the complexities of a new  rig because you research and ask question and listen to those with experience.  It is an exciting time.  Tell MW to relax.  When she gets  the new rig she will be busy buying new throw rugs and exchanging them. I think going full time is a bigger adjustment for women than men.  Have fun and take photos of what you decide.  Don't rush it, you've waited patiently this long.
Betty

Sitting in a Cummins parking lot,  waiting for our 1000 hour generator service at 6 am in morning.

John and MW,

I was tellingTerry aobut your question and he  gave this advice.  Since he is a two finger typer, I am making the reply.

He said unless you have  detailed service records of everything on the coach, he recommends on any used diesel rig in the category you are  exploring to plan for and  set aside  between 5 and 10 thousand dollars for initial set up.  He would have every service performed on it.  He would replace  batteries (a source of troubles on rigs) He would change tires ( unless newer than 5 years)  Service the generator, change the coolants.  That way you start with known factors on your rig. Keep us posted!

Betty

John,

I sent you an email about this coach. We saw it while were were trading our 2000 Monaco Windsor (I think you saw our Windsor at Catalina State Park New years Rally). We bought a 2009 Monaco Camelot from Tim. I would say that dealing with Tim was great.

That said, I'll give you my two cents about buying any used coach.

First the step squeak. Forget it. You toured Ollie and Judy's Magna which is the same year, same color and I believe same layout. Ollie can not get rid of the step squeak!

But I would budget changing ever fluid in the coach

Engine and Gen Oil and filters
Engine and Gen Coolant
Fuel filters (2)
Transmission filters and fluid
Hydrualic fluid and filters
Change the air dryer cartridge
check the age of the tires
Lubricate the entire chassis
At five years you may want to check and see if you should change the rear drive axle fluid and the oil bath in the front axle and the tag axle.
Check the belts and hoses

Carefully inspect all the roof opennings sealants for signs of aging
As this is a very sophisticated electrical system, make sure every thing works.

There are check lists in the library on the forum that are far more extensive on things to check.

If you buy this coach become friends with Ollie!

Say hi to Tim

Ken & Sheila

Many thanks to each of you for very helpful replies. We will do all of it I think. Whether we have a deal, well, we should know today. Otherwise we may go up to Coburg, Oregon to see what's there. Or wherever there may be similar coaches for sale, I'll have to look. Anyone know a good salesperson at Guaranty RV in Oregon? (I know, not everyone has had a good experience there, and that does concern me a lot.)

Hopefully, Tim will be able to make a good deal for you on a coach you like.

Although we had a bad experience with Guaranty RV in CA, and talked personally with the owner of GRV in Junction City about it, we subsequently ran into a salesman we felt comfortable with in GRV/JC. First name was Les, and I can picture his face, but can't recall his last name. I just went through my business card file, but didn't find it. FWIW he's a retired cop.

Thanks again to all of you for your help. We did buy the 2003 Magna, subject to a list of issues including the paint and generator. Demartinis has already investigated the generator issue which they found to be air leaking into a fuel line, which they replaced. PDI probably tomorrow, so if all goes well, we will have a short Nevada trip tomorrow and driving lessons in GV the next two days.  :)

PS - The dealer from which over 300 coaches were repossessed was Best Buy RV, we were told.

The squeak in Ollie's Magna steps has now been found... a missing gasket.

Love my 2000 Magna, especially after it was debugged. Had it refurbished in 2007, as I discussed with you at Catalina.

Great! You will enjoyit. Try to catch up with the hop skip and jump ralley in Utah starting May 2. We will give you so many tips that your head will explode.

Pierat,

So you finally took the plunge!  Terrific!  Hope you and MW enjoy it for many years.  I second Russ' comment - try to join us at Hop, Skip, and Jump.

ArdraF

OH yeah and don't take no for an answer.  Gasp!  ;)

ArdraF

Pierat said:
Thanks again to all of you for your help. We did buy the 2003 Magna, subject to a list of issues including the paint and generator. Demartinis has already investigated the generator issue which they found to be air leaking into a fuel line, which they replaced. PDI probably tomorrow, so if all goes well, we will have a short Nevada trip tomorrow and driving lessons in GV the next two days.  :)

Hi Pierat,

Good luck with the new coach, The Magna is a great one. I'm guessing your lessons will be with Frank in GV, He's good man and knows his "stuff". Tell him hi from me.

Jerry Ray

Back
Top Bottom