Looking for pointers on affordable westcoast camp grounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfingbodi

Hi folks,

I have camped in CA many times but generally only for a week or two at a time so the price I could manage for that is much greater that what I can afford for the trips I am currently beginning to plan that will last 3 - 4 months with approximately 1 - 2 months in any given location.  I have found a campground near where I currently live on the other side of the mountains that is privately owned and is approximately $300 including utilities, showers, and there is a laundry on the facility yet it is very rural and not fancy at all which really is exactly what I am looking for on the west coast from Baja - BC.  They are very cool about dogs and kids because there is so much space and the only leash rule is if your dog is bothering other people.  How can I find more of these types of campgrounds - not too fancy, rural, affordable, not too crowded as I am very clear with 2 teens and 3 dogs, no one wants to be parked 5 feet away from me nor I them.

I do not have a great deal of experience with small private campgrounds - only with state parks or boondocking completely off the grid.  Where should I be looking to get info on these types of campgrounds?

Thank you!
sb/gari

In the past, I've used the Trailer Life and/or Woodall's campground guides.  Lately I've been relying more on rvparkreviews.com.  The number of parks on that site now rivals the contents of the big books, and while the reviews tend to be more subjective since they're submitted by volunteers, the information is a lot more up to date.  And the price is right.

Another good place to look for monthly campgrounds is the local Craigslist (i.e. sacramento.craigslist.org etc.) for the area you're interested in.  They don't have a specific section for RV parks, you have to wade through the Parking/Storage section but you'll occasionally find a gem.

You may not be able to find the kind of campgrounds you want in CA.  First, real estate, taxes, etc. are more costly out there so camping, like everything else, is more expensive.  State government is going broke, and shutting down state parks left and right.  And you're competing with a lot more people for the available camping areas, which also drives up prices.

There are deals available at places like county fairgrounds (see this thread) and BLM lands in the southern deserts, but they're set up for short term stays, not the month or two at a time you're looking for.

Thank you Lou!  This is ALL a goldmine for me :)  I just copied all your suggestions to my running notes.
sb

Back
Top Bottom