Looky, Looky What Wyoming Wants To Do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably why most of them drive big 4WD Trucks, since and EV wouldn't be able to get through the snow and ice.
Tell that to all of the people driving EV’s in all of Northern Europe and Canada. Too funny. Where do people get this stuff. 😂

See here.

"Is Tesla Good In The Snow? (2022 Updated)"

-Don- New Castle, CA Denny's (on a m/c ride).
I would never go back to our Grand Cherokee on winter road trips. It wasn’t even close to the Tesla in traction or anything else for that matter. The tesla is a beast in winter. The ski hill parking lots are full of then up here. You have to sound your horn to find yours in a sea of Teslas in the parking lots. 😂

We live in Northwestern Colorado. It's similar to Wyoming. It's not just the vast distances between towns, it's the high altitude. Although, not as far north, the higher elevation mean that winters can be severe. Altitude isn't just a number, it impacts with colder temperatures and snow which impacts the EV range. It impacts my Ram 2500 6.4L horsepower substantially.

As seen in the video above there's huge regions with absolutely no infrastructure. The route from Rock Springs, Wyoming to Steamboat, Colorado I am familiar with. It goes through Maybell, CO which has the lowest Colorado temperature recorded at minus 61F.

The highest community in Canada is Lake Louise, Alberta at 5,200 feet elevation.

In Europe its Davos, Switzerland at 5,120 feet elevation.

The highest mountain peak east of the Mississippi River is Mt. Mitchell at 6,684 feet.

Wyoming's average elevation is 6,700 feet. Highest town is Encampment at 7,277 feet. Driving across the Rockies on I-80 it's fairly flat at 7,000 feet. You actually cross over the Continental Divide twice through the desolate Red Desert. The winds are harsh and cold in winter.

Colorado average elevation is 6,800 feet. Highest town is Alma at 10,578 feet. We live approximately 20 miles from the unincorporated community of the Grand Mesa, Colorado located at an elevation of 10,200 feet. Climate there is sub-alpine.

Our population density is approximately 1.5 people per square mile. Average elevation is 9,917.

We live in Northwestern Colorado. It's similar to Wyoming. It's not just the vast distances between towns, it's the high altitude. Although, not as far north, the higher elevation mean that winters can be severe. Altitude isn't just a number, it impacts with colder temperatures and snow which impacts the EV range. It impacts my Ram 2500 6.4L horsepower substantially.

As seen in the video above there's huge regions with absolutely no infrastructure. The route from Rock Springs, Wyoming to Steamboat, Colorado I am familiar with. It goes through Maybell, CO which has the lowest Colorado temperature recorded at minus 61F.

The highest community in Canada is Lake Louise, Alberta at 5,200 feet elevation.

In Europe its Davos, Switzerland at 5,120 feet elevation.

The highest mountain peak east of the Mississippi River is Mt. Mitchell at 6,684 feet.

Wyoming's average elevation is 6,700 feet. Highest town is Encampment at 7,277 feet. Driving across the Rockies on I-80 it's fairly flat at 7,000 feet. You actually cross over the Continental Divide twice through the desolate Red Desert. The winds are harsh and cold in winter.

Colorado average elevation is 6,800 feet. Highest town is Alma at 10,578 feet. We live approximately 20 miles from the unincorporated community of the Grand Mesa, Colorado located at an elevation of 10,200 feet. Climate there is sub-alpine.

Our population density is approximately 1.5 people per square mile. Average elevation is 9,917.

Meh. An EV doesn’t care about altitude. The rest is just infrastructure. BC or Quebec didn’t have infrastructure 5 years ago. Now it does. Winters are fine in EV’s, albeit some of the commuter type EV’s might not be well suited to longer road trips. Like anything else. Get the right EV. I’m sure some are better than others in winter conditions.

Last edited:

"Travelling from sea level to higher altitudes brings changes in air quality. At higher altitudes you will find a marked reduction in air pressure and density, lower levels of humidity, and larger temperature swings. Induction motors rely on ambient air to dissipate efficiency losses converted to heat. This is harder to do at higher altitudes due to the reduction in air pressure and density, and can cause your motor to run at higher temperatures than usual."

"At higher altitudes, electric cars can lose power because the air is thinner. This can cause the battery to work harder to maintain a charge, which can shorten the range of the car. Additionally, high altitudes can cause the motor to overheat."

"The density of the air at high altitudes is lower, which means there are fewer air molecules per volume, resulting in less air molecules able to cool the motor, increasing its temperature."

"Lithium-ion batteries have limited applications due to their severe power loss at temperatures below zero degrees Celsius, which limits their use in electric vehicles in cold climates"

Forgets to mention about going up the mountain cuts the range further.

Lol 😊. Well, I guess the millions of us driving EV’s in northern mountainous countries in winter never got that memo. 😂. Funny.

Meh. An EV doesn’t care about altitude. The rest is just infrastructure. BC or Quebec didn’t have infrastructure 5 years ago. Now it does. Winters are fine in EV’s, albeit some of the commuter type EV’s might not be well suited to longer road trips. Like anything else. Get the right EV. I’m sure some are better than others in winter conditions.
EVs may not care about altitude, but they do care about cold!! Charges don't last as long in the cold as they would in the heat.
Now, if they could "generate" their own power with the turning of the wheels, in order to keep it charged, that would be a whole other ball of wax! Until they have that, they're going to continue to be a "fad" and not used by every person in the country.

Given the way this thread has evolved, this might be of interest.
Yeah, only getting 100 miles out of a single charge, and taking 24 hours to charge on a slow charger would not work for long hauls!! Heck, even taking the 2-3 hours to charge on a fast charger would not be good! It would take you multiple days to take a trip that with an ICE vehicle you could make in a single day! I can't afford to lose that much time traveling, just waiting for it to recharge, when I could have filled up in less than 15-30 minutes, and that's with a bathroom and food/snack break.

See here.

"Is Tesla Good In The Snow? (2022 Updated)"

-Don- New Castle, CA Denny's (on a m/c ride).
Sure, but them telling you that you need to keep the cabin cold in order to preserve the battery for driving distance seems a bit of a stretch when some places have temps well below freezing, like Wyoming in the winter! So, sure you can get where you want to go, but you'll be a Popsicle before you get there, and you have to recharge 3 times as much, costing you triple the amount to do it!
I think I'll stick with my ICE vehicle until they get all this fixed.

Sure, but them telling you that you need to keep the cabin cold in order to preserve the battery for driving distance seems a bit of a stretch when some places have temps well below freezing, like Wyoming in the winter! So, sure you can get where you want to go, but you'll be a Popsicle before you get there, and you have to recharge 3 times as much, costing you triple the amount to do it!
I think I'll stick with my ICE vehicle until they get all this fixed.
Too funny. 😂. I’m loving this thread just from the entertainment point of view. I have seen this “have to turn the heat off” thing before. Hilarious. 😂. And the charging three times as much thing. 😂😂😂.

Keep it coming guys. This is great. . 👍👍👍 I’m going to send this thread to the folks in our tesla group. 😂

Too funny. 😂. I’m loving this thread just from the entertainment point of view. I have seen this “have to turn the heat off” thing before. Hilarious. 😂. And the charging three times as much thing. 😂😂😂.

Keep it coming guys. This is great. . 👍👍👍 I’m going to send this thread to the folks in our tesla group. 😂
I don’t own a Tesla or any EV so I don’t have a dog in this hunt. I find it pretty hilarious that the non EV owners continually try to tell the EV owners what their vehicles are capable of.

I don’t own a Tesla or any EV so I don’t have a dog in this hunt. I find it pretty hilarious that the non EV owners continually try to tell the EV owners what their vehicles are capable of.
But it is enlightening though. I kinda thought the average Joe was more informed on this kind of thing. A few years back it was still common to see comments like having to keep the heat off in winter or having to replace batteries every three years or having to charge for hours on a trip or whatever.

But that all kind of faded away in the last couple years as more people have them in neighbourhood and neighbours could talk about then. But I think there is probably still lots of misinformation out there. 😊. And of course EV’s have changed a lot in the last few years from what they were a decade ago as well.

It’s all good. 👍. Still fun to read though. 😱

Last edited:
Non-EV owners are considered stupid here. Look at the childish scorning taking place, which has continued in most all of these types of threads. But the same can be said of EV owners when reading their replies. to ICE owners. EV owners surely lack any interest in reasonable discourse and exchanges from ICE owners that do not live in areas with high volume charging stations. Sure EV owners can search their computer screen and find a station, or sponge on some commercial outfit with a plug in. But its not as simple when you travel and interested in making time on the road. Yes we have heard it all, if anyone has followed these types of threads.

But I would not consider New York City to be a third world remote area of any country. And they are not set up for charging EVs, especially on every street corner so to speak like gas stations for most of us commoners thats slumming with ICE vehicles. Discount the source if you wish.

Of course the second factor has always been the cost of Telsa in particular,. And we know there are other brands of EVs. But you still need to charge them within a reasonable time frame. What we are witnessing folks is sheer arrogance, nothing more or nothing less. I could point this directly out, but will not waste time since all of it would be deleted. Shame that this topic shows such a divide in the classes of folks that we see across the landscape at almost every subject.

But I would not consider New York City to be a third world remote area of any country. And they are not set up for charging EVs, especially on every street corner so to speak like gas stations for most of us commoners thats slumming with ICE vehicles.
We’ve been to NYC several times. Never driven in the city since it is not recommended. I do not remember seeing too many gas stations in the city. Much like London which I have driven in. Always made sure I had a full tank before entering the city though. As for NYC we always park at the Princeton Junction train station and take the train into Grand Central. It cost us just a few dollars to do that.

Non-EV owners are considered stupid here. Look at the childish scorning taking place, which has continued in most all of these types of threads. But the same can be said of EV owners when reading their replies. to ICE owners. EV owners surely lack any interest in reasonable discourse and exchanges from ICE owners that do not live in areas with high volume charging stations. Sure EV owners can search their computer screen and find a station, or sponge on some commercial outfit with a plug in. But its not as simple when you travel and interested in making time on the road. Yes we have heard it all, if anyone has followed these types of threads.

But I would not consider New York City to be a third world remote area of any country. And they are not set up for charging EVs, especially on every street corner so to speak like gas stations for most of us commoners thats slumming with ICE vehicles. Discount the source if you wish.

Of course the second factor has always been the cost of Telsa in particular,. And we know there are other brands of EVs. But you still need to charge them within a reasonable time frame. What we are witnessing folks is sheer arrogance, nothing more or nothing less. I could point this directly out, but will not waste time since all of it would be deleted. Shame that this topic shows such a divide in the classes of folks that we see across the landscape at almost every subject.
Maybe. I think arrogance could also be defined as talkin chit about something and not expecting to be called out on it. 😎

But that’s just me. 😊

But I would not consider New York City to be a third world remote area of any country. And they are not set up for charging EVs, especially on every street corner so to speak like gas stations for most of us commoners thats slumming
Looked up EV charging station in NYC and found 200 within a 2.5 radius of Manhattan. Going back to my previous post gas stations in Manhattan we’re reduced to about 39 in 2014 due to real esTate being to expensive.

Maybe. I think arrogance could also be defined as talkin chit about something and not expecting to be called out on it. 😎

But that’s just me. 😊
Promoting any and all EVs as the ultimate vehicle for everyone is talking chit without any reasonable interest in what anyone else has to say that does not live in the real world of a variety of transportation needs. This thread has generated more extreme responses as this particular topic has come up here. Its almost like some people posting are being paid as to push one side of the coin.

And some of us enjoy the combination of both technologies and have traveled thousands of miles using the two. So turn up your virtual hearing aid and accept some of the comments related to some of the exceptions to the EV life of transportation. For me personally I ain't throwing away even the introductory costs of a Tesla even if I lived with a generator in tow for my driving needs. A lot more of us are in the same camp.

Promoting any and all EVs as the ultimate vehicle for everyone is talking chit without any reasonable interest in what anyone else has to say that does not live in the real world of a variety of transportation needs. This thread has generated more extreme responses as this particular topic has come up here. Its almost like some people posting are being paid as to push one side of the coin.

And some of us enjoy the combination of both technologies and have traveled thousands of miles using the two. So turn up your virtual hearing aid and accept some of the comments related to some of the exceptions to the EV life of transportation.
Totally agree. Which is why I often say on these threads that everybody has different needs and wants. EV’s are not suitable for everyone or every situation. But disseminating BS about them is useless to everyone. And those that do should expect to be called out on it.

And yah, sometimes it’s just plain funny. 😊. Laughing is good for the soul.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottlp123
Back
Top Bottom