Lots of prep for a trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, check tire pressure before each outing.

While on our recently completed two-month Southern States trip our camping friend Jack comes over in the AM saying he thinks he has a leak in one of his rear tires on his class C. I grabbed my pressure gauge from the toolbox and headed over. Looking at the tire and confirmed by the indicator, the tire wasn't low on air, it was just flat. I told Jack to call his Good Sam road service. Jack didn't want to because we were heading into San Antonio that day. So I started my DP and hooked up my air hose I brought along and filled the tire to the sidewall stated 80#. Jack then checked the air on his other tires and they all showed about 53-53# in them. Then, looking at the fronts and seeing how cracked the sidewalls were on the original tires on his 2012 Sunseeker with the low air pressure I told Jack and his wife they should call a local tire dealer and have the tires looked at and the one that went flat repaired. Jack said he wanted to wait to he got back to WNY to do that. I told Jack and Cathy you have 2000 miles to go before you get to WNY, do you want to chance it? They said sure they would, I told them I wouldn't think of riding in their rig with those tires. We left Jack and Cathy in San Antonio to go their own way while we would do the same.

I would rather go in the back yard and dig a ditch.
This sentence has made hubby and I laugh for days.

Oil change and tire pressure crap on Wednesday, and see if the tires impress us for another year.

We are getting things ready.

I also have to plant tomatoes peppers and beans before I leave for an extended trip the beginning of May.

That means the weather has to cooperate each and every day till my departure. Oh brother. hahhaha

Yep, there is always a lot of things to do before heading out. It can be exhausting.

Don't forget to stop by the bank and get some actual "cash". It's always good to have some "cash" ... because you just never know when Credit Card or bank ATM card systems will not work. Not to mention those times you want to just pick up a pack of gum for $1.25 or so.

We carry ample cash, so in the event of lost credit cards, we have enough cash on hand to make it back home to use for food and fuel. Because ... you just never know.

I learned years and years and years ago to always have enough cash to return "home" in the event catastrophe happens. The farther the distance from "home" you go, the more "cushion" cash you need to keep available.

So, remember to stop by the bank before you head out!

We keep small denomination bills ready for forest campsites. More and more places are card only and less and less first come. Sigh.

Unfortunately, more and more vendors are once again charging a fee for credit card use on purchase’s.

I like having cash on hand for incidental type purchases, tipping, and souvenir buys like t-shirts and such.
Any larger expenditures are put on the card to be paid off when the bill arrives, and all fuel purchases go on the EFS fuel card for direct withdrawal.

My travel buddy is prepping for a long trip. This is the trailer I found the spring hanger broken off of. He bought a Dexter wet bushing kit and bolts plus the half inch thick shackles, and..... The Dexter Ez-Flex equalizers.

My buddy decided to repack the bearings as its been a couple of years since he repacked them installed them new (Timkens) Edit: original China bearings, and the trailer has had to sit more than usual. Sent me a text with a pic, found a bad bearing/race. Same kind of damage I used to find on small general aviation aircraft that spent months on the ramp and never moved. I think its caused by electrolysis. Mine have been about three years so I guess I had better go buy some seals and start packing/checking bearings too. My trailer has been inside, and I think that helps, but it is not a cure all, thats for sure.

Charles

Attachments

• IMG_8823.jpg
    IMG_8823.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8817.jpg
    IMG_8817.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8818.jpg
    IMG_8818.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Well, my wheel bearing repack job is done and all bearings were OK. I left the front left wheel off as that shock was leaking, so new one on the way, and will have it on the ground next week. I switched grease this time. I have used Amsoil synthetic grease with molybdenum but they no longer make it. I am such a believer in moly that I won't pack bearings without it. I have been using it since forever, as Ford approved the use of moly greases in wheel bearings (I think, in the 1970's) and have never had a wheel bearing fail using it. Anyhow, I bought VALVOLINE FULL SYNTHETIC MOLY-FORTIFIED GRAY GREASE VV985 and I'll see how it works.

Charles

Last edited:
One of the biggest advantages of being full time is that I never have to pack or unpack, and I never forget to bring anything. And since I do not have a towed vehicle, I take my whole rig shopping or sightseeing knowing I have everything I own with me!

Not having to pack or unpack is a real luxury!!!

Gotta say we just returned from our season opening trip and everyone in our little group said that they hadn't done much prep for the trip. The interesting outcome was that because of each of their individual preparation efforts, the combined effort covered all the necessities and then some. So in a nutshell it turned out to be a great beginning of the season first trip. It doesn't get much better than that..;)
Safe travels and all the best.

Several years ago, I bought a tire pressure monitor for my motorhome. It means I no longer have to worry about starting out for a day with one or two tires low. I just turn the monitor on and give it a few minutes to pick up all the tires.

Some tire monitors detect motion, and if they have been sitting, will simply show the last pressure before they went to "sleep". If you have a monitor like that, simply move the trailer/vehicle a foot or so to wake up the system, then check the pressures. I only have a warning buzzer in the cab, and it beep as soon as I start moving, indicating it is receiving all of the sensors.

Charles

Its the little things that get you!!:oops:
I make it a habit to shut off the breaker to the electric element in our water heater, during winter storage, so that I don't accidently turn it on while the water tank is empty. The day before we were going to leave, when I was doing my check out I discovered that the water didn't heat up when I threw the electric WH switch. We ran it on propane for two days before I remembered the breaker had been turned off. :LOL:
Just part of the joys of RV ownership.

Been hustling for several days now, loading clothes, food, etc and checking tire pressures and other things to get ready to head out, Hitched up and ready to go, lights checked, which is easy in the dark, with the trailer backed up to the glass garage door, I can see the light reflections. One final walk around tomorrow. Will miss the kitties, but they are being taken care of.

Its not just the prep for the trip, but all of the usual stuff like putting out the garbage and getting litter boxes scooped and ready.

Charles
To make it easy for checking lights, I turn on the parking lights and the warning flasher. Then I only need to make one walk around the rig, and if I have tail lights and both flashers front and rear, then I know all is good, including brake lights and turn signals.

To make it easy for checking lights, I turn on the parking lights and the warning flasher. Then I only need to make one walk around the rig, and if I have tail lights and both flashers front and rear, then I know all is good, including brake lights and turn signals.
When I'm underway I can see one of the trailer's side marker lights in the driver's side mirror. If I turn on the parking lights I can see the bulb inside it come on, a quick verification that the trailer's electrical connection is still working.

Hmmm... we had an issue with our bake lights not working this last trip. All other lights worked.

Back
Top Bottom