Loud generators, I don't understand why...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
xrated said:
That would be most Harley riders with their obnoxiously loud exhausts!

The kids on the Rice Grinders with those go-fast exhausts.... are just as obnoxious.

It's a difference of an extremely loud roar....or an extremely loud shriek.     

To many of us,  the sounds of a car or motorcycle are music to our ears.. not everyone likes the same music.

loud is loud.
  8)

Boonieman said:
In all honesty, when I was a teenager in the late 60?s, the fad was loud mufflers. I had a 57 Chevy and proudly drove thru the subdivision with my long hair, 327 small block with headers, and stereo quadraphonic 8 track tape blasting.

This made me LOL....
A lot of guys in high school put "cherry bomb" mufflers on their sh*t-box cars so they could what.... ? pretend to have muscle cars? I dunno..

When I was a brand new RVer 20 years ago, I bought a new generator from a box store. Thought I made a great purchase. Took it out camping that weekend and fired it up in a dry camp spot. I was horrified. The campground was horrified. I spent the next 2 months trying to find ways to quiet it down, all with little to no luck.  Then I noted that the manifold on the thing had cracked. So I took it to a local repair shop for a warranty repair. I dropped it off and the owner said it would take about a week to get the part and fix it. 

A few days later I got a call from the repair shop asking me to come down. I figured it was ready to go. When I got there the owner looked a bit sullen. He said that one of his mechanics took my gen out back of the shop to work on it by the back door in the alley. The guy went to lunch and left the back roll up door open. When he came back, someone had stolen the generator.  It was a new 4000 watt generator.  He didn't want to report the theft because it would make his insurance go up. He said he would do whatever he could to make things right.  As I looked around his store, he had Honda 2000's on sale.  I offered that I would take a floor model Honda in trade for the loss.

He was so happy he gave me a new in the box unit and set it all up. He started it and showed me it ran. I walked out of there with the biggest stupid smile on my face, and I'm sure the guy had no idea why. That thing was so quiet I could run it while it was sitting on the table in front of me, and talk in a normal tone. 

Lesson learned. You get what you pay for.

BinaryBob said:
This made me LOL....
A lot of guys in high school put "cherry bomb" mufflers on their sh*t-box cars so they could what.... ? pretend to have muscle cars? I dunno..

Glasspacks were louder I think. I had dual exhaust on a 59 Chevy impala convertible with a 283, 3 speed on the column. Boy were they loud. It actually cost me some money to pay off a fine one time but I deserved it. I was in a neighborhood and I would wind it up tight in 2nd gear and let off all the way to my destination. I would do that 4 or 5 times a week about the same time and someone must have reported me and the PD was waiting.

as long as we are complaining about loud generators and motorcycles ...how about the new cars ?

The new Mustangs GTs and Corvettes have a "Loud" button. 

You push the button,  it bypasses the mufflers and you have an open exhaust.

so now...Every Casanova in a Corvette, and Steve McQueen impersonator drives around pressing the piss-off button.

When I first read the topic I thought it was going to be about loud generators. Boy that changed in a hurry with loud motorcycles, I have a Harley with aftermarket pipes but not obnoxious and I am mindful while driving through smaller towns and neighborhoods, Also had the long hair and 68' GTO which could make some noise, a 67' Triumph MC with aftermarket pipes which I would shut down sneaking back in at night at to not wake the neighbors. Then we get a complainer about outdoor entertainment centers which I have and use daily cooking outside, a TV that I watch the news while having my coffee of which I am sure my neighbors can't hear. Although I have a loud generator it is for home use only for use during power outages period.
I can't remember a time when someone pulled up next to me or within earshot and fired up a loud generator but I am sure it happens but I stay outside until after quiet hours are over sipping on some beverages and enjoying a nice fire.

sightseers said:
The kids on the Rice Grinders with those go-fast exhausts.... are just as obnoxious.

It's a difference of an extremely loud roar....or an extremely loud shriek.     

To many of us,  the sounds of a car or motorcycle are music to our ears.. not everyone likes the same music.

loud is loud.
  8)

And I thought the difference between the two was noise and HP.!  ;D

xrated said:
And I thought the difference between the two was noise and HP.!  ;D

Actually one has a handgrip that dials up more horsepower and the V-twin has a handgrip that is a volume control.

lynnmor said:
Actually one has a handgrip that dials up more horsepower and the V-twin has a handgrip that is a volume control.

Yea, that's an old Harley joke for almost as long as I can remember....."What's the right hand grip on a Harley used for........Answer.....Volume Control! 

Yeah, I have a Harley with the volume control....so obviously even at my age I haven?t totally recovered  from the noise fetish I had in my teen years. In campgrounds, I do try to be respectful of others so they can enjoy the outdoors. For us, camping is to be around people. We live in the middle of the woods and it?s always quiet except for the critters. So the actual ?camping thing?, we pretty much live that, so I totally understand someone who wants to get away, listen to nature for a change, and not have that experience spoiled.

We went camping 4th of July weekend this year. Won?t do that again. Our normally quiet dogs went crazy over the fireworks. I was embarrassed because they usually never bark, and I know they were disturbing people. Finally got them inside and calmed down. Hey, it?s the 4th. Tell people not to shoot fireworks? Seriously? My dogs are my problem, not somebody else?s. Same with a loud generator. Lots of ways to ruin a fellow camping families experience. In the end, everybody is just there to have a good time, most don?t want to intentionally irritate anyone.

Boonieman said:
Yeah, I have a Harley with the volume control....so obviously even at my age I haven?t totally recovered  from the noise fetish I had in my teen years. In campgrounds, I do try to be respectful of others so they can enjoy the outdoors. For us, camping is to be around people. We live in the middle of the woods and it?s always quiet except for the critters. So the actual ?camping thing?, we pretty much live that, so I totally understand someone who wants to get away, listen to nature for a change, and not have that experience spoiled.

We went camping 4th of July weekend this year. Won?t do that again. Our normally quiet dogs went crazy over the fireworks. I was embarrassed because they usually never bark, and I know they were disturbing people. Finally got them inside and calmed down. Hey, it?s the 4th. Tell people not to shoot fireworks? Seriously? My dogs are my problem, not somebody else?s. Same with a loud generator. Lots of ways to ruin a fellow camping families experience. In the end, everybody is just there to have a good time, most don?t want to intentionally irritate anyone.

I hear ya.  I'm going to be 64 in a few months and just retired from riding on the tracks on my sportbike.  I was an Instructor/Coach and I'm talking about Road Racing type tracks like Road Atlanta, Barber Motorsports, etc.  I still have my street bike, an FZ09 with a full Arrow exhaust that is definitely not quiet, but.......I know when I'm in areas that the loud exhaust will disturb others (mostly in town or residential area), I short shift and keep the RPMs down for the minimum amount of exhaust note.  I too like my quiet times at a campground, as most folks do.  It's all about common sense, respect, and common courtesy!

I have to ask, why is it you bikers need that super loud exhaust?  Does it give you a adrenalin rush?  I know it's not that loud on the bike, but anyone behind you, it's a killer.
Now as I said when I was 16, I had loud glasspacks on my car but I was just a stupid know it all kid.

Currently, my pipes are stock. They have the Harley sounds, but not that loud to me. I personally don?t like the obnoxious loud pipes either.

And Rene, my Adrenalin rush now is moving silently thru the woods with a camera. Or returning to my home in the Dakotas to fish or see a powwow and visit old friends. Time sure changes everything. ?

Rene T said:
I have to ask, why is it you bikers need that super loud exhaust?  Does it give you a adrenalin rush?  I know it's not that loud on the bike, but anyone behind you, it's a killer.
Now as I said when I was 16, I had loud glasspacks on my car but I was just a stupid know it all kid.
As far as I am concerned it is the equivalent of the five year old's temper tantrum. It gets attention and is meant to impress their equally immmature friends. I have to admit I ran glasspacks on my 283  powered 59 Biscayne four door, they were the only performance parts I could afford, but a few expensive tickets (and my father) convinced me to mend my ways. Still it was fun to downshift at 40 mph between buildings.

Roy M said:
As far as I am concerned it is the equivalent of the five year old's temper tantrum. It gets attention and is meant to impress their equally immmature friends. I have to admit I ran glasspacks on my 283  powered 59 Biscayne four door, they were the only performance parts I could afford, but a few expensive tickets (and my father) convinced me to mend my ways. Still it was fun to downshift at 40 mph between buildings.

An awesome sounding exhaust note is just a different kind music to some of us.  It symbolizes HP, Torque, Speed sometimes, and to me...it just sounds great.  If I have to explain it, you probably don't get it anyway.  The Adrenalin rush for me is being able to get around a road course track at a very fast pace.  I've been down the back straight at Road Atlanta at 175 mph many, many times, and then the downhill and hard on the brakes into Turn 10A and through 10B at probably 45 mph.....and all that braking from 175 down to 45-50 mph is downhill.  Another, and just as much fun is the thrill of going through some of the turns at 120-125 mph with the bike leaned over and a knee down on the pavement (actually the slider puck on the leather suit).....but again, if you've never done it, you probably wouldn't understand the physics and the control of being able to do that....all the while maintaining a perfect line through the corners in order to set yourself up for the next corner or exit onto a straight....or the feel of the bike bringing the front wheel up at 140 mph shifting from 3rd to 4th gear and the front tire skimming along the surface of the track.  Some guys like jumping out of airplanes, some guys like golf, some....sitting by a campfire and sipping a liquid refreshment....it's all good, it what you enjoy doing.

I've been riding motorcycles for 47 years, so I really don't think it's a "5 year old temper tantrum" thing.  I ride for my enjoyment and I really don't care if anyone else sees me, hears me, or turns their head to look when I go by....it's just what I love to do....so your analogy may be correct for some folks, but I'm obviously not one of them....but Thanks for the input.

Rene T said:

The common theme is.....loud pipes save lives.
The "other" driver can hear you coming.
Or so the story goes

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom