Mackinaw island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

disystox

Hi All. Wife is talking about a trip to Mackinaw island.  I would like the hear from those that have visited  the island. We live in Colorado so this is a major  trip for us. Thanks.  Jim A.

Me too, we were considering visiting the area this summer, any must see spots while in the area?

It's been a few years for me, but we sure enjoyed Mackinac Island when we were there. We even enjoyed the boat trip out, but there are enough things to see and do that some folks will spend a couple of days or more on the island (you can't get your RV or car there), but you can get around via buggy (tour), bicycle or shanks mare.

we stayed at a campground in Mackinaw City that had a view of the Mackinaw bridge - pretty crowded and not a lot of space between sites, but very close! We did the "high tea" at the grand hotel, cost about $50 per person, but had everything under the sun. Grounds are beautiful, if you want to see the fort, it's an additional cost. The buggy ride around the island is pretty cool When you get off the boat on the island, the street right there is full of tee shirt shops and typical tourist stuff, but back further in are some quaint shops. Also drove up to WhiteFish point lighthouse, probably took a couple of hours to get there.

During the summer for the most part Automobiles are not allowed on the Island (I do not know about some service type vehicles) in the winter the rules are more lax. but it's a Tourist thing.

I've never been on the island but there is a state park just off the UP end of the big bridge that I remember as kind of nice.

Was just there a little over a year ago.  Been there I think four times in the past 10 yrs.  We traveled from Pahrump Nevada to Michigan.  There are no cars allowed on the island except the Ambulance.  Everything is horse drawn.  We have stayed at the KOA in Mackinaw City,  Tiki Rv Park in St Ignace Mi (UP) and also Mackinaw Mill Creek Camping.  Ask all the specific questions and I will try to answer as best I can. 

Dick,  You are probably correct on the fire truck, but as far as police.  I believe Bycycles.  Been on a couple private tours with guides.  One had grown up on the Island.  He stated that only about 20-25% of the island is available to the public, therefore really no need for lots of police cars.  I really find anything to back up my statements except what I have been told by talking to a few locals.
Anyway, great place to visit.  Might even go back again this year.

If you can, try to stay one night on the island in a hotel or B&B.  After the hoards of tourists leave, it is a lovely place.  And a large part of the island is state park, but you can certainly ride a bike or hike anywhere in the state park.  And rent a couple of bikes and ride around the island on the 8 mile long state highway that does not allow cars.  You can even rent a "self-drive" horse and buggy to drive around the island.  The horses pretty much know where to go and are pretty used to newby drivers!  (If my adult son can drive one, anyone can, since he has never even been close to a horse as an adult.)

If you don't want to do those things, at least take a horse-drawn taxi around the island or one of the tours.

And the island is called "Mackinac" because it was settled by the French. The town south of the bridge is called "Mackinaw" because it was named by the British, but both places are pronounced the same.  (Actually, the Indians named this place "Michilimackinac" or "Great Turtle."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinac_Island

Also, not too far from the northern end of the bridge is Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, and the locks where the big freighters go through from Lake Superior to Lake Michigan.  (They are the Soo locks, by the way, and "Sault" is also pronounced like "Soo" because it also was named by the French.)  There is a city-owned campground about a mile east of town called "Aune-Osborn."  It is pretty basic with water and electric and a dump station, but you can get a spot right on the river just east of the locks and wave at the deckhands on the ships as they enter the narrow St. Mary's Channel.  If you are lucky, you will get to see two of the bigger ships pass each other in front of you.  https://www.saultcity.com/aune-osborn-campground

And remember that the Edmund Fitzgerald sunk off Whitefish Point, so a 75 mile drive west will get you to the Whitefish Point Lighthouse and Museum.  There is also the Tahquamenon Falls and Hemingway's Big Two-Hearted River, if you have more time.  And don't forget to buy some fudge on the island and some pasties on the Upper Peninsula.

Two more important things for Mackinaw City:
[list type=decimal]
[*]There is excellent RV parking just under the south end of the Mackinac Bridge. There is a visitor center there and the Fort Mackinaw within walking distance from that lot.  Also, there is a big parking lot just south of the main east-west main street. 
[*]However, there are a couple of streets that go under the bridge, and they are low, so know your vehicle height and be wary of going somewhere you can get stuck under!  I know this because I ended up backing up through a four-way stop once! 
[/list]

Born and raised in Michigan and have visited the Island many, many times. JudyJB's advice is good advice. Definitely plan to stay on the island after the tourists have gone. Take a drink down to the beach at the far left-hand bend (just a few blocks down from the ferry docks) and watch the bats come out of the caves, in their hundreds. Cycle into the interior of the island during the day (or hire a horse and buggy and drive yourself), cycle the paved loop around the island, go for a walk to the interior and see where the service industry workers live, and definitely talk to people. Some of the full-timers have shops, and they've got fascinating stories to tell.

As for service vehicles, there is an ambulance and fire truck. A friend of mine worked on the island for a summer and got hit by a carriage as she cycled to work. Got to ride to the hospital in the ambulance to have her broken arm set.

Winter is probably not ideal in and RV in Upper Michigan, but the island is even more magnificent when covered in snow. No tourists, the locals are all in the 2 open restaurants in the evening, snowmobiles are the vehicle of choice, and it's just like the wild, wild west, but in a blanket of white.

We were there 3 days last fall on our return trip from Canada. Stayed at the Ignace KOA which had a free shuttle to the boat dock. I found the island absolutely beautiful but touristy. Lots of fudge and t-shirts and souvenir shops. Countered with beautiful flowers and gardening. Talking with the locals is always fascinating - from the white gloved Grand hotel porters to the many horse poop removers on the streets with their brooms and carts. The policemen seem to enjoy their work - no auto theft /accidents to deal with. The Grand Luncheon Buffet was outrageously priced but worth the exquisite food and experience.

Being touristy is why you need to spend the night on the island.  Most tourists leave about 4 pm and the island quiets down. A just before sunset ride around the island is fantastic, but don't wait too late or you will be fighting the bats as they head out to eat flies over the lake at dusk.

And it is not touristy if you get away from the main town area and head for the center of the island where few people go. 

For hotels, the Island House overlooks the harbor, but a really quiet place is the Inn at Stonecliff.  Nice view of the straits, although I have not been there for a few decades. It is two miles from town, but you can take a horse-drawn taxi with all your luggage. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom