Mattress/bed is painful

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

librarylady

We recently purchased a new Keystone Premier Bullet and while we love so many things about it, the mattress/bed is so painful to attempt to sleep on.  The bed is one of those that has storage under it so there is a hinge portion partway down (I do wonder if that's part of the pain problem).  The mattress is obviously the standard type that comes with travel trailers.  I'm a side sleeper so my hip feels like it's resting on the board below.  Additionally,  it feels like the lower part of my body is slanting down even when I'm on my side which puts my back in a painful position.  I get that the mattress hangs off a little, but I'm in the usual slightly curled up position which means my feet aren't on the last few inches.  I'm wondering if that sensation is just part of the lack of support. 

So, possible solutions...?

Another RV mattress doesn't make sense to me since that's what we have and it doesn't have enough support.  I've read negative things about memory foam toppers (smelly, hot, etc.), so I'm reluctant to go that route.  We have friends who have a feather topper, but we have a rather firm mattress in our house and our backs thank us for it.  So, fluffy feathers don't seem like a good option.  What about a residential mattress?  Any other suggestions?

We're so excited to back to camping, but I'm not looking forward to another trip with that horrible thing! 

we bought a quality memory foam topper for ours. got it at sams club.  we have had no issues with ours as far a smell or being hot. we actually liked it so much we bought one for our home. measure the mattress and see if you can get a residential one you like

Get a good quality air mattress. We had a Comfortaire in our motorhome for 19 years and never had a bad nights sleep because of the mattress.

I regular quees or full size mattress should fit just fine...... The thing that comes with most campers is just a slab of cheep foam if that

That sounds like the mattress that came with my trailer, I called it a fisherman's mattress, because no matter how tired you were you  would wake up at 3am and not be able to sleep any more.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.

Because I'm cheap, instead of spending money on a thicker foam topper at Walmart, I bought two of the thinner (1.5"), cheaper ones, and put both of them on the bed.  It's very comfortable for us.

Mattress quality is one of the easy places to skimp to reduce cost, so your complaint is a common one. Head out to the mattress store for a better one, or add a nice foam topper to the one you now have. Or both.  Some people change to air-adjustable mattresses and luv 'em, while others hate them. Try before you buy.

Level the RV as you normally do and then put a carpenter's level on the bed platform. It may in fact be out-of-level with respect to the rest of the rig.

Before you head out to the store, take measurements of what you have now. Some RV mattresses are different size than the standard one's you'd buy for your home.

Here is a link from a previous discussion.  We had bought ours from a Mom & Pop store in Yuma, and it made a world of difference.
http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=queen%20short%20mattress&SearchType=Header&TID=AUTOCOMPLETE&refccid=BDVHMEGARDIZQRSMVB7MLNVIAI

Ed

We added a 3" cool gel memory foam topper and it made a world of difference. At home we bought a Casper mattress and it is awesome. If I ever replace the TT mattress it will be a Casper.

We use a memor foam/gel topper in our TC, as it has a weird shaped mattress. In our fiver we gave the mattress away without even trying it. Purchased the matress the DW liked on sale at sleep country, we sleep like lambs now.

We've went the memory foam route on our last two trailers and its worked fine.  We replaced the mattress on one unit, however it did not have enough flex and made it very difficult to raise the lid in on the storage unit below the mattress. 

Gary is correct about level. I think we are more sensitive to being level than our reefer. It's difficult to sleep on a slope, your body has to work all night long to stay on the bed. You wake up sore from muscles being tensed up all night long. A foam topper helped, but aiming for a perfect bubble made all the difference in the world. Our mattress is one of those inner spring ones with no padding,just a plastic kind of ticking, reportedly the worst option available.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom