Midwest earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
Were any of our members affected by the 5.2 earthquake this morning in IL?

Just south of INDY we recieved a pretty good shock.........I have only one thing to say, if we are going to start having earthquakes in this part of the country, I want the mountains that go with this type of thing!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Earthquakes don't start in the mountains, they start far under the earth.  This one was 3 miles deep.  There are numerous faults all over the country, including the Midwest and the east.  They just don't slip this much very often.  I recall at least one quake as a child in Milwaukee in the 40s or 50s.

We were in Blythe this winter during the Mexicali earthquake.....grew up in California so an earthquake wasn't a new experience, however, an earthquake in an RV is quite a bit different from an earthquake in a stick house and being in the motorhome during the Blythe one was a new experience.

Wendy
safe in earthquake-free, mountainous, Colorado

The epicenter of this mornings' quake was in southeastern IL. I think its called the San Madras Fault. We generally get one every couple of years or so.

Woody

Woke my little one and I up this morning in SE WI. That's the third one I remember up here in the past 7 or 8 years. My wife called in a panic after I got to work to tell me about it... 3 hours later. ::)

They had one just south of San Antonio TX a couple of weeks ago.  About a 3.8 if I remember correctly!  Crazy stuff.

Woody said:
The epicenter of this mornings' quake was in southeastern IL. I think its called the San Madras Fault. We generally get one every couple of years or so.

Close, here's a quote from one of the news stories:

The quake is believed to have involved the Wabash fault, a northern extension of the New Madrid fault about six miles north of Mount Carmel, Ill., said United States Geological Survey geophysicist Randy Baldwin.

The last earthquake in the region to approach the severity of Friday's temblor was a 5.0 magnitude quake that shook a nearby area in 2002.

Woody said:

Woody

New Madrid Fault -- pronounced MAAH-drid.   It is a Y-shaped beast that underlies the forks of the Mississippi-Ohio-Missouri rivers.   Geologists believe that it is a failed rift in the North American continental core -- a thing they call a triple-junction.   North American started to break up at that point but subsequently stopped.   The rift left a permanent zone of weakness.

As a word of comfort, of sorts, the thing moved big time in the early 1800s resulting in the 8-1/2 magnitude New Madrid Earthquake, one of the two greatest in US history, the 9.4 Alaskan quake taking the honors.   The quake was so violent that it threw the Mississippi River out of its bed and created Reelfoot Lake.  It rang church bells in Boston.   A 5.2 is a hiccup, a thousandth of that big boy.

I have slept through many quakes it seems... This one included (I am told it was felt here in Detroit)

One I did not sleep through happened when I was at work, and thus awake and eveyone in the room was saying "What was that".  California born me.. Knew the answer.

We arrived at the American Coach factory in Decatur, IN this afternoon and folks there were talking about the earthquake. It was felt locally here southeast of Ft Wayne.  Didn't feel it over where we were last night, near Wheeling WV

I live 40-45 miles east of the epicenter.  So I had a rude awakening at 4:37am local time.  I've slept thru some lesser quakes in the past; this was the first one I actually felt and experienced.  It was one strange feeling -- started with a rumbling that intensified, and then the shaking began.  Lasted for awhile (not sure of the exact duration).  Sounded like a train coming down my driveway, not so much from a noise standpoint, but from an earth "rumbling" standpoint.  I didn't know what it was at first (groggy and inexperienced at such things).  Then wife said it was a quake.

Gary

OK, San Madra, New Madrid. All of those spanish names sound alike to me.    :D :D

The paper this morning said it is the worst to hit this area in the last 40 yrs. Buildings in Vincennes, Terre Haute, Evansville, and other areas close to the epicenter sustained some damage.

Woody

Woody said:
OK, San Madra, New Madrid. All of those spanish names sound alike to me.    :D :D

The paper this morning said it is the worst to hit this area in the last 40 yrs. Buildings in Vincennes, Terre Haute, Evansville, and other areas close to the epicenter sustained some damage.

Woody

That ain't Spanish, Woody.   It may have started out Spanish but the American Middle West took over long ago.   If it were Spanish it would sound something like mah-DREETH.

Same thing happened to Cairo.  Transplanted to Cairo, Illinois it came out sounding like Karo, Illinois.    I ain't even going to tell you what happened to Los Angeles, which started out as El Pueblo de Nuestra Se?ora La Reina de Los Angeles del Rio Porciuncla.    8)

Carl L said:
I ain't even going to tell you what happened to Los Angeles, which started out as El Pueblo de Nuestra Se?ora La Reina de Los Angeles del Rio Porciuncla.    8)

Shortened all the way down to L.A. wasn't it??

While spending time in Iowa, and being California natives, we had to get used to saying Nah-vay-da instead of Nevada.  And, Boona Vista rather than Buena Vista.  Sigerney instead of Sigourney and lots of others.  It's their state.  They can pronounce 'em however they want.  :D

Margi

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom